Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
lgx catch cans - ideas / info / products

Wanted to start a new thread about this instead of continuing to hijack other threads.

Couple of posts below for some context

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=31

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=49

So it looks like we need to be inline with the tube coming over the driver side of the engine going into the intake bridge and the smaller tube connecting to the passenger side of the intake bridge right before the throttle body.

Mishimoto seems to be planning a custom setup using a 3 barb can and boosting the suction by tapping vacuum lines to the brake booster.

Going the cheaper route. I am thinking of having 2 separate cans.

The only place I can see to mount the cans is by the fuse box where my current one is mounted. i would splice inline to the existing hose on the driver side and route it over to the can there and then back to the stock connector on the intake bridge.

i'm fast approaching 1000 miles on the can (which is supposedly attached to the clean side of the pcv system) and I have no visible oil on the measuring tube still. So if that's the clean side, it's apparently pretty clean. I'll continue to monitor it but it's looking less and less necessary to place a catch can on this portion of the pcv system at all. Might only need it on the "dirty" side. Guess that might change if you added more suction.

Anyone else have any ideas on catch can install locations? Does anyone else have one installed other than me?
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
If you ran the two separate cans, wouldn't you cheat yourself by NOT having the suction needed to evacuate the side that's on the passenger side by the fuse?

On vaycay right now but as soon as I get back I'll put something in place, mainly for the driver side. It'll also be oil change time and other basic general maintenance

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
cellsafemode

i dont know what the internals look like where the driver side pcv connects to the engine. It may be that too much suction is not desired, which could be why it's not hooked directly into the intake manifold like the lfx.

It's a new engine and almost anything you are gonna read about regarding wear and tear due to oil quality is going to be guesswork.

the PCV is really meant as a way to allow fuel to escape rather than be stuck to dissolve into the oil. Since it's hot and there's a way out, the fuel will find its way out without any real help. If oil is not accidentally being evacuated then that is good.

I guess the question then is, is the fuel vapor condensing back into the oil before it reaches the intake or not. I dont think it is. The post by the Elite company implies that it needs more vacuum to avoid that. I dont think there's been enough time or oil analysis' done for the lgx to say that the oil is being contaminated by the stock PCV.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The Elite E2 and latest, E2-X have used secondary suction sources and special billet check valves for years to provide evacuation at all times, and the latest GDI engines require a system that not only provides constant evacuation, but also addresses the clean/fresh side of the PCV system as well so no crankcase pressure can ever build. Several have copied this over the years, but the provisional patent issued on this and other features, as well as the full patent appears to be ready to be issued will keep this technology pioneered by the Elite engineers proprietary.

NO catch can on the market that can exceed the E2 or E2-X Catch Cans effectiveness (try it against any brand no matter what they claim. Install an E2 or E2-X inline behind any other can and watch how much gets past ALL others claiming to be the best, run it for a set 1000-2000 miles, drain and measure both. Then clean both cans completely, and reverse them in order and find almost nothing gets past our Catch Cans) and you have the best possible solutions for any application, especially GDI engines that cannot tolerate even small amounts. We purchase and test against all popular cans, but taking our word for it is a reach. Anyone not biased toward either can do this test and report here each step to show how dramatic even those claiming to be "the best" and see first hand.

Combine this with Elite Engineering's pioneering of proper systems for everything from a daily driver to a 1000 WHP boosted monster and see. One only has to look back through the years to see how we have progressed with each new need that arises, and our hands on with direct injection engines for the past 8 years plus we can attest, you cannot find a better solution, and will be hard pressed to find an equal.

From working with Lubrication manufacturers on fuel dilution and the hard abrasive particulate matter all GDI engines suffer from, oil analysis and the actual A-B B-A testing as described anyone can perform to document yourself, there is no better solution. We have done these tests and know the results. Think you have a good solution? Try it and see personally.

Technical questions on anything related to these new engines, the issues, and care? Email us direct at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com and ask. No gimmicks, no exaggerated claims, just facts from the authority on all of these issues.

Do it once, do it right, Elite Engineering USA

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Elite Engineering

Let's go further on the LGX engine (and will follow next with the 2.0T).

None of this is guessing, this is all fact with the work we have done through the years here with a tier 1 supplier to GM. For those that are skeptics, please ignore these posts as your welcome to believe as you wish. We are just sharing some behind the scenes work by our engineering team.

The LFX engine was the best overall design of the 3.6L GDI V6, for one main reason. And to understand this we must go back and look at how the PCV system came about, and what all it does as far as functions.

GM designed the PCV system as we know it back in WWII to prevent engines in tanks from failure due to the un-burnt gasses accumulating in the crankcase the tending to ignite and "explode" unexpectedly. From there it was not implemented in passenger vehicles until the mid 1960's (before all engines "vented" as a breather or vented tank system does now where many have never learned the functions the PCV system provide. Pressure was released, and not enough un-burnt fuel fumes could accumulate to combust. Enter the Federal Gov. in the first move to reduce ground water pollution from the oil and other contaminates that dripped onto the roads. The PCV system as we know it was mandated in all cars and light trucks. Back then, the engines used to require a complete rebuild due to wear at 40-50k miles on average, and that was with oil changes of every 1500 miles. But, something changed. These same engines, running the same oils and oil change intervals now were lasting 100-150k miles before needing to be rebuilt! It took several years of study, but it was determined that all internal combustion engines had far more than unburnt fuel passing the rings and contaminating the engine oil, water, sulfuric acid, abrasive soot/carbon/ash, etc. were also entering and mixing with the engine oil causing this accelerated wear. The PCV system was found to be pulling these damaging compounds out one portion of the crankcase while bringing in filtered fresh air in the opposite portion and this was flushing and removing most of these wear causing contaminates while still in a gaseous or suspended state, and very little was able to settle and mix with the engine oil.

Over the years, the PCV system improved and did better and better (and engine oils as well as materials used in the manufacture of the engines) so it became common after the carburetor went away and port fuel injection greatly reduced carbon issues on the valves, and many know of LS engines lasting 300-400-500k miles with proper care.

Now, that GDI has become the standard (and most were forced into adopting it before it has been perfected to meet CAFE fuel standard and the increased emission laws, so the consumer is the one to suffer.

Enter the LGX engine. GM, finding the cheapest and easiest way to slow the valve coking issue has deleted the primary source of crankcase evacuation suction, the intake manifold vacuum, and now only "vents" crankcase vapors into the main intake air assy. The results? Most of the contaminates that cause wear are now remaining IN the crankcase and mixing with the engine oil. The oil filter cannot trap much below 15 microns in size (unless using say a Wix or AMsoil premium filter) and 70% plus of the internal engine wear is from particles in the 2-8 micron size range, so that is no help. The water and fuel wash-down (at 11.5:1 CR and the fuel introduced at 2,000-3,000 PSI the wash down past the rings is far greater than the past port injection (as much as 10 times or more) so your engine oil is now bombarded with contaminates and fuel that quickly dilutes the oil and these quickly overwhelm the engine oils ability to protect.

That is where a system like the Elite E2 or E2-X Catch Can comes into play. It utilizes the 2 separate evacuation suction sources to provide constant evacuation of these contaminates and compounds BEFORE they can settle and mix with the oil.

We will stop here and let people digest this, and please, ask questions. We also ask no rude comments. This is educational, and those that follow us here at Elite Engineering have seen the past 2 years how we have added this aspect of what we offer you the consumer.

:cheers:
Old 08-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
pjz1082

I am still waiting on a part number and install instructions. I am not interested in installing a "generic" part on my vehicle and just finding a place to attach it. Does Elite have a solution for the V6 or not?
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
cellsafemode

I'm not seeing anything really on the "clean side". I think it's probably much more effective to just tap the "dirty side", allowing you to run a much more common catch can design and so end up being much cheaper without missing any blowby.

I plan on checking the dirty side tube again after work today to see how dirty it is at the intake connection area. If i see anything there I may end up just bridging the clean side with a double ended barb and connecting the can to just the dirty side.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
I am still waiting on a part number and install instructions. I am not interested in installing a "generic" part on my vehicle and just finding a place to attach it. Does Elite have a solution for the V6 or not?
To Elite Engineering,

I personally don't ask this as rude. But the sales pitch is great. And most of us are familiar with your products.

Catch cans from elite, mishimoto, apex, billet technologies, have pretty much been proven over the last decade.

However the question most here have asked for, is do you have a solution for the lgx engine in the camaro/alpha platform?

- Mounting solution?

- Transport/Hose splicing solution?

As with any car there are those of us who have been fabricating and doing diy for years. No worries, we'll get it done.

But then you are missing out on the segment that may have not turned as many wrenches or this may be there first time dealing with aftermarket parts and need a bit of help and or guidance.

This is currently the second post, the sales pitch was posted on, but still no kit or solution shown for this application. That's what people are asking for...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 08-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
Rsblueblood
Kywildcats

Drives: 2020 2SS shock and steel (shocker)
Get him Powerhouse, no videos no go this is why I'm not going with bolra exhaust no sound clip video.
Rsblueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
Elite Engineering

Quote:

PM Sent
Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse

Ordered a catch can. Will post upthe way I install it and what's needed, as soon as it gets here. Gonna be hitting the "dirty side for right now" will access the clean side and maybe upgrade to a 2 port setup shortly thereafter.

Just wanted to get something in place on this next oil change. Will also be doing the CRC valve cleaning as well.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #12
pjz1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Ordered a catch can. Will post upthe way I install it and what's needed, as soon as it gets here. Gonna be hitting the "dirty side for right now" will access the clean side and maybe upgrade to a 2 port setup shortly thereafter.

Just wanted to get something in place on this next oil change. Will also be doing the CRC valve cleaning as well.
Awesome and thank you! If you can post a "how to" on both that would be awesome! Not sure why Elite will not post part numbers and install instructions on here but I am not giving out my personal email info as they've requested.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #13
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Awesome and thank you! If you can post a "how to" on both that would be awesome! Not sure why Elite will not post part numbers and install instructions on here but I am not giving out my personal email info as they've requested.
I have been in contact with Elite and have purchased the catch can for the SS to use on my LT. They said to contact them when it arrives tomorrow for installation instructions. This will be the first V6 they have sold for. I will do the install video and post it this weekend.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #14
pjz1082