Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #1
SS 2 XS

Drives: Camaro SS
Brand New 2021 1LE/SS Crush- Tint question

Just picked up one of the (very few remaining) brand-new Crush 1LE/SS in OKC a couple of weeks ago -A MAJOR step up from my 2018 1SS -I really wanted this color before it was gone!--Having a manual is a lot of fun with this car plus it rides like a dream...One issue is that it came tinted from Landers Chevrolet and upon trying to get it inspected/titled in Texas I was told by the inspection people it has 15% tint on the windows, which is not legal for both Texas (and Oklahoma)...I have a call into their general manager to see if he is going to help out with a tint removal and re-tint for the windows(25% is the darkest you can go in both states) Thoughts on this situation? BTW I did not necessarily have to have the car with tint -I was told their tint all their cars...I wonder how many more of theirs will not pass inspection?
Attached Images

Last edited by SS 2 XS; 04-08-2021 at 06:06 PM. Reason: photos
SS 2 XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
Staves

Drives: women crazy
I didn’t know a dealer could sell a car that had illegal levels of tint.

PS-Nice ride!

Last edited by Staves; 04-08-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Staves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
I didn’t know a dealer could sell a car that had illegal levels of tint.

PS-Nice ride!
I agree, this is odd. I’ve seen this be the case with some used vehicles, but I’m assuming this one is new..
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #4
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
I purchased my car out of state and almost had the same issue with inspection. The tint checked out to 24.9%. Luckily they passed it since I was so close to the darkest legal limit. I second the guy above. I believe a dealer cannot legal sell a vehicle with an illegal tint.

seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would take it back to the dealer and let them get it corrected to the state requirements. Should be no big deal!
Old 04-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
personally, if you never plan on having any relations with that dealer ever again, I would go a BIG pass on taking it back to them, it is the age old NEVER SEND FOOD BACK, ASK FOR A REFUND!

But in your case a refund is unlikely. So if if that "is your new go to dealer" play nice, if not find a reputable tint shop and ask them to remedy.

But what the hell do I know.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #7
B8TTYVILLEKID

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2 SS
I just had my windows re-tinted today. Could not see out of the car in the dark. Had to roll my window down every time I made a turn. Turns out it was darker than Limo tint. They charged $20/side to remove the old tint and then $80/side for the darkest legal top of the line LLumars for the re-tint. I left the rear alone. $200 is probably worth your time rather than argue with the dealer.
B8TTYVILLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #8
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Wow.. Maybe Im hearing something that is better in NJ???
No tint here.. but when we buy a new car its good to go for 5 years no inspection...
WOOHOO.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #9
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8TTYVILLEKID View Post
I just had my windows re-tinted today. Could not see out of the car in the dark. Had to roll my window down every time I made a turn. Turns out it was darker than Limo tint. They charged $20/side to remove the old tint and then $80/side for the darkest legal top of the line LLumars for the re-tint. I left the rear alone. $200 is probably worth your time rather than argue with the dealer.

Wow. Limo tint is 5 percent. Personally I would go with 20 percent down here with the heat.

limo tint, especially with the poor viz in are cars is not a good idea.

I didn't know they check tint on inspections in TX. I'm from MO and don't recall window tint ever checked on the safety inspection.

I'll probably go with 20 percent on my front windows when I get my tinted. FL is 28 percent on the front but I want it a bit darker.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:50 PM   #10
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Wow. Limo tint is 5 percent. Personally I would go with 20 percent down here with the heat.

limo tint, especially with the poor viz in are cars is not a good idea.

I didn't know they check tint on inspections in TX. I'm from MO and don't recall window tint ever checked on the safety inspection.

I'll probably go with 20 percent on my front windows when I get my tinted. FL is 28 percent on the front but I want it a bit darker.
It's the first ive heard of it being checked during an inspection. I've been running 20% up front and nobody's said a word about it during any of my inspections.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #11
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
It's the first ive heard of it being checked during an inspection. I've been running 20% up front and nobody's said a word about it during any of my inspections.

Some of the shops will go darker if you ask. My cousin has a friend who does window tinting for everyone in the family. I might use him if the shops don't want to do 20 but he does it all by hand, not the computer that custom cuts it to perfection.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:59 PM   #12
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
It was news to me as well. Just had it inspected last Friday in Austin. When the inspector told me we have an issue, I was 99% sure he couldn’t find the 6 inch Dynomax Race Mini bullet mufflers. Instead, it was letting me know whoever did the tint was off just a hair where it was in the illegal range but it was close enough to legal that he would let it pass.
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #13
Hitman84

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue 2SS 1LE
Are those orange knee pads?
Hitman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:53 PM   #14
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
It was news to me as well. Just had it inspected last Friday in Austin. When the inspector told me we have an issue, I was 99% sure he couldn’t find the 6 inch Dynomax Race Mini bullet mufflers. Instead, it was letting me know whoever did the tint was off just a hair where it was in the illegal range but it was close enough to legal that he would let it pass.
I guess it must be a big city thing. I'm in the Waco area and all I literally do is drive through and they check all the basic safety stuff. 7 bucks and maybe 5 minutes and I'm on my way.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote