Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
ImmDanny

Drives: 2021 1SS, 1969 Convertible
Are there any OBD2 Apps for Camaro/GM Cars?

I came from BMW, and there is an app called Bimmerlink and Bimmercode, that when paired with a bluetooth OBD2 plug, you can view error codes, clear CEL lights, as well as "code" things into the car, such as unlocking certain features.

Is there anything like this for Camaros or GM Cars? For instance, I have a 1SS so I don't have the light spectrum package, but I do have the little light around the radio. I noticed it only stays white, but I'm assuming the colors can be changed. Or with the passenger side mirror not tilting down in reverse (only does it when you have memory seats), I'm assuming the function is still there, just needs to be "turned on".

If there is anything like this I'd love to know!
ImmDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
White Automotive and Media comes to mind for answers to questions about your spectrum lighting and mirror.

As for OBD2 apps, there are plenty on Google Play and App Store that will require an ELM bluetooth dongle. I’d suggest you look at customer reviews for the app you prefer because some of them require a specific Bluetooth device to work properly.

I tried doing this a couple years ago and opted to go in a different direction. A lot of member on here use the “Torque” app from Google Play.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:04 PM   #3
prod

Drives: HHR
The spectrum lighting package is a dealer installed accessory, so it is possible but may have to be done by a dealer. I dont know of any OBD2 software that lets you change the
vehicle software options, GM uses TECH2 proprietary equipment.
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:28 PM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmDanny View Post
I came from BMW, and there is an app called Bimmerlink and Bimmercode, that when paired with a bluetooth OBD2 plug, you can view error codes, clear CEL lights, as well as "code" things into the car, such as unlocking certain features.
there are many odb2 tools for android (and ios if you play for that team). Any standard one will work with US cars to see and clear basic CEL triggering codes. However, you will need something more specialized (not free) to handle the more complicated functions such as putting abs into test mode etc. I dont know if the paid versions of torque or 'car scanner' can do those things. But that's not necessary for clearing trouble codes.

You wont be able to unlock things with such tools though.

Quote:
Is there anything like this for Camaros or GM Cars? For instance, I have a 1SS so I don't have the light spectrum package, but I do have the little light around the radio. I noticed it only stays white, but I'm assuming the colors can be changed. Or with the passenger side mirror not tilting down in reverse (only does it when you have memory seats), I'm assuming the function is still there, just needs to be "turned on".

If there is anything like this I'd love to know!
That's not how the spectrum lighting works. All you have is white led's physically installed. You dont have rgb ones. Even if you flashed your hmi unit with the correct programming to have the spectrum lighting feature, it wouldn't do anything because you physically lack the hardware.

Unlike some cars like tesla and i guess bmw, chevy doesn't put extra hardware in and turn it off via software as a general rule. The cars are physically installed with different parts that lack the ability of other trims and options. Your seat doesn't have memory ability if you didn't buy it with the option. Your mirrors dont have motors to tilt if you didn't buy it with the option. Your car doesn't have oem navigation if you didn't buy it that way (it physically wont have the gps sensor). etc etc.

And there is nothing you can just plug in to unlock/trick or reprogram the hmi via odb port.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:04 PM   #5
ImmDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
there are many odb2 tools for android (and ios if you play for that team). Any standard one will work with US cars to see and clear basic CEL triggering codes. However, you will need something more specialized (not free) to handle the more complicated functions such as putting abs into test mode etc. I dont know if the paid versions of torque or 'car scanner' can do those things. But that's not necessary for clearing trouble codes.

You wont be able to unlock things with such tools though.

That's not how the spectrum lighting works. All you have is white led's physically installed. You dont have rgb ones. Even if you flashed your hmi unit with the correct programming to have the spectrum lighting feature, it wouldn't do anything because you physically lack the hardware.

Unlike some cars like tesla and i guess bmw, chevy doesn't put extra hardware in and turn it off via software as a general rule. The cars are physically installed with different parts that lack the ability of other trims and options. Your seat doesn't have memory ability if you didn't buy it with the option. Your mirrors dont have motors to tilt if you didn't buy it with the option. Your car doesn't have oem navigation if you didn't buy it that way (it physically wont have the gps sensor). etc etc.

And there is nothing you can just plug in to unlock/trick or reprogram the hmi via odb port.
We’ll I guess that’s good to know. As far as the headunit lighting, I just figured they used the same headunit across all camaros, and just limited the color options if you didn’t get the lighting spectrum. Kind of surprising they manufacture 2 different headunits.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:46 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
We’ll I guess that’s good to know. As far as the headunit lighting, I just figured they used the same headunit across all camaros, and just limited the color options if you didn’t get the lighting spectrum. Kind of surprising they manufacture 2 different headunits.
sorry, misremembered what the back looks like when i had mine off. the wiring harness plugs into the back separate from the rest of the display and what the wiring harness plugs into contains the led.

the non spectrum units only have two wires and white leds.

spectrum option changes the wiring harness so it has 3 or 4 wires (i forget) and rgb leds. this is true of the footwell lights as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by cellsafemode; 04-06-2021 at 11:59 PM.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:57 PM   #7
mrgoodwrench
The Wicked Jester

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Vert
Quote:
ImmDanny

My wife and I both have 2020 Camaro's - she has a 2LT/RS - I have a 2SS. She has the basic package like you do - While we both have the 8" displays - I have navigation and she does not. I have all the bells and whistles that you mention you wanted turned on. I wish I had gotten her a 3LT/RS instead because it has all of those desirable items - however - when I bought my car - my wife saw her car - I was not researching the difference between the 2/3 packages so I did not realize at the time there was a 3LT - my 2010 was a 2LT and my 2014 was a 2SS.

I did not search for the Ambient Lighting but my car had it already - I would have just added the Red Led to my car. I was planning on doing that to her car BUT her door handles do not have the clear slot to put an LED behind it. The Cup Holders also do not have the clear slot to put the light in. You may be able to take head unit out and lay an LED behind it.

Should you want to upgrade your radio from a 7" to an 8" or 8" w/ Navigation, check out Infotainments website - I think all you would need is the GPS antenna to make it work...not sure what you are looking for but her eis a link to the Chevy Camaro Page: https://www.infotainment.com/collect...=9365571502116

I can say that while I like having an internal Map (2014 & 2020) I took her car last week and used Android Auto (AA) Maps - it seems to work just the same...in addition, while I bluetooth my music - due to a short commute - I was able to use AA to actually get into the Spotify main menu to pick different music to play (hands free) through the head unit where I could not do that while just streaming - I would have to change the menu on the phone to change the music to a different album - so slight advantage to AA for the assist - I hate plugging my phone in - but it worked out really nice.

You will have to see how much you want to spend for the upgrades you want or figure out a plan B. An example - should you want the Ambient Lighting - you not only need the lights but also the Light Module Control unit - and I 'believe' that you need that module to have your vehicle VIN number in it in order for it to be recognized by the head unit controller.

I am sure the same thing goes for the back up sensors (missing on her car), Memory Seats and others - you will need to see if you need the Control Units for each of these items...I would offer more help but I am still feeling out the my car...
Old Car: 2010 Camaro Inferno Orange 2LT/RS
mrgoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #8
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Having a 1SS/1LE the thing I miss from my 2SS is the memory seat function, but it should be part of the 1LE package as it would make getting in/out easier because of the Recaro's. But I never used the memory function with the regular 2SS leather seats as it was easy to clear the bolsters on those seats.

The RGB lighting, I don't see it as a real important feature, but it is cool and that's about it imho.

Check out this thread. It may help with your adding Nav. question. I looked into it, but decided it's easier if I want/need maps to just plug in my phone and use apple carplay, or take my Silverado since it has oem Nav. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589627
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #9
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by prod View Post
The spectrum lighting package is a dealer installed accessory, so it is possible but may have to be done by a dealer.
No it isn't. It's on my build sheet as RPO C70.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by prod View Post
I don't know of any OBD2 software that lets you change the vehicle software options, GM uses TECH2 proprietary equipment.
I believe there are tech2 clones available, but not sure if any have been tried on our cars.

Unfortunately, the tool is not enough. Now this is going from memory of my SAAB 93 (when GM owned Saab). You also need access to TIS2WEB where the different software versions for modules are available. These can be loaded into the car via SPS update. There are multiple verification steps including VIN matching and a query process to see if the right hardware is on-board to accept the update.

So, even with the right tools and dealer network subscription, you would probably still get shot down. The tech2 would say, "Hey, this car doesn't come with spectrum lighting!"
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
ImmDanny

I'm not really upset/too concerned about having features like the spectrum lighting or what not. I was just curious what possibilities there are. Like I mentioned, on my BMW you could change A LOT just by having the OBD2 dongle and the right app on your phone. My main question was just whether that is possible on Camaros or not (given how computerized all this stuff is nowadays). The clear answer is no, and I'm fine with that. I already have a few mods planned like adding the illuminated door sill, glowtie, and maybe later down the road I'd try tackling adding the spectrum lighting myself (I've seen a thread about it in the DIY section that seems like a good guide). I've always been a fan of "retrofitting" stuff, I think it allows us to really make our cars exactly how we'd want without having to special order from the factory.

I also asked this question just to see if I should keep my OBD2 dongle or give it to whoever I sell my BMW to, but it seems like I should keep it so I can at least check codes/clear codes.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:17 PM   #12
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
This may still work...

http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/real-...RasMeItCeHVWVY
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
John Blue SS

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by custommx3 View Post
Thanks for the info, that's just what I've been trying to find for a nice display
John Blue SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #14
Smudo

Drives: ZL 1 2018, BMW M4 Comp. 19, Z4 M 06
I am also installed a Bluetooth OBD, is connected to several Apps (Android) such as: Torque Lite/Pro, OBD Fusion, DashCommand, Car Scanner ELM OBD2, inCarDoc, OBD Auto Doctor, Kolben, LeafSpy, EOBD Facile, FORScan Lite, Car Gauge Pro, Dr. Prius.

But I can not find the fault Airbag Sensor on my passenger seat.
Airbag light red is on in Dashboard.

Any ideas to read my SRS Airbag fault, and of course reset.
Smudo is offline   Reply With Quote