Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-21-2021, 01:16 AM   #1
anttioo

Drives: none
Importing to Finland

Hello everyone,

i hired a company to find me a 6th gen camaro 2SS from USA. Their warehouse is located in Florida so the car is probably going to be bought from somewhere around there.

We did some calculations and for example for a 2016 2SS that costs $29000 in USA would cost me up to 63000€ (~$75000) with all the taxes and fees etc. before getting it registered here.

Because of this already hefty price tag i'd appreciate if you could give me some information about stuff i should look out for with finding a good quality camaro.

Difference in taxes between 2016 and 2017 model is around $5000 so the 2016 especially something i'm looking for.

Thanks
anttioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:37 AM   #2
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anttioo View Post
Hello everyone,

i hired a company to find me a 6th gen camaro 2SS from USA. Their warehouse is located in Florida so the car is probably going to be bought from somewhere around there.

We did some calculations and for example for a 2016 2SS that costs $29000 in USA would cost me up to 63000€ (~$75000) with all the taxes and fees etc. before getting it registered here.

Because of this already hefty price tag i'd appreciate if you could give me some information about stuff i should look out for with finding a good quality camaro.

Difference in taxes between 2016 and 2017 model is around $5000 so the 2016 especially something i'm looking for.

Thanks

So if price is same taxes would be more? Crazy.... I’d say look for one thats from a brand name dealership. Try to find out if it was a local trade. Cars they buy from the auctions can have issues.

Try to get most bang for your buck and make sure your getting features you want.

And i don’t know if you have access but if so get the vin and run a car fax. Will tell you how many owners, accidents, service records, if was a fleet or rental vehicle and lots more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:06 AM   #3
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Unless you are looking for a manual transmission I would highly advise against buying a 2016, 2017 and 2018 auto transmission. 8 speed auto has a chronic shudder issue. Chevy supposedly fixed the issue with a new transmission fluid but you probably can’t find out if that specific camaro has the new transmission fluid. Even if it has it, torque converter might be messed up from the shudder.

Either get a manual or look for 2019+ 10 speed auto.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:57 AM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
Unless you are looking for a manual transmission I would highly advise against buying a 2016, 2017 and 2018 auto transmission. 8 speed auto has a chronic shudder issue. Chevy supposedly fixed the issue with a new transmission fluid but you probably can’t find out if that specific camaro has the new transmission fluid. Even if it has it, torque converter might be messed up from the shudder.

Well, be happy that you dodged a potential bullet yourself, but he specifically stated that the tax difference between 2016 and 2017 was $5000, which would buy him about 20 new torque converters or 5-6 full TC replacement jobs at a dealership including parts, fluid and labor here. I'd think a 2019+ would be even more expensive to begin with, and that's before considering local taxes.

Also, there are numerous people at the forums who specifically stated the GM procedure fixed their A8 shudder "for good", meaning they put at least as much mileage on the car afterwards than it had before, with no symptoms.

I think the best advice to be given the OP is just the facts and then letting him make these calls himself. He might not like the 2019+ front and rear, after all (but I won't go there either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anttioo View Post

That cost is absolutely insane, it's worse than in Hungary where I'm from, and I thought taxes and "registration fees" there could not be outdone. Have you considered importing from another EU country instead? You might be better off in terms of costs. I did a quick search on Hungarian sites and found quite a few 2016-2017 V8 cars from 36k to 43k euros, this last one being a F1FTY with a Maggie supercharger...

If not, below are some potential issues I'm aware of that you want to try and make sure were handled for the car you're buying, hopefully others can chime in with more:

20-NA-055
- Instrument cluster inoperative due to software issues
18-NA-355 - A8 transmission shudder, as above
18-NA-172 - NPP exhaust valve rattle fix
17-NA-287 - Rear diff groan, requires diff fluid flush
16-NA-404 - A8 programming on early 2016 models

In general, you want to make sure to have the latest software, especially if you buy a first model year 2016.

If you'd prefer a manual trans, the Tremec TR-6060 that M6 Camaros have is flawless, plus those cars have no-lift-shift, the M6 is definitely a great choice. I wouldn't be afraid of the A8 either (in fact that's what I actually have), it's a great transmission apart from the (manageable) shudder issue, and even better with a tune.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:13 AM   #5
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
75,000$ for a 5 years old Camaro... Maybe that's a little too much? I'd be looking for something else personally...
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
anttioo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
So if price is same taxes would be more? Crazy.... I’d say look for one thats from a brand name dealership. Try to find out if it was a local trade. Cars they buy from the auctions can have issues.

Try to get most bang for your buck and make sure your getting features you want.

And i don’t know if you have access but if so get the vin and run a car fax. Will tell you how many owners, accidents, service records, if was a fleet or rental vehicle and lots more
Yeah it's crazy, the company will check carfax, thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post

This is good to know! I spoke about this with the dealer and its taken into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
That cost is absolutely insane, it's worse than in Hungary where I'm from, and I thought taxes and "registration fees" there could not be outdone. Have you considered importing from another EU country instead? You might be better off in terms of costs. I did a quick search on Hungarian sites and found quite a few 2016-2017 V8 cars from 36k to 43k euros, this last one being a F1FTY with a Maggie supercharger...
But the funny thing about Finnish car tax is that even though if the car was imported from lets say Hungary or Germany the car tax would still apply. It would only save me from the customs and some other fees but i think those are already in the price so no savings there.

Any car that isn't really low consumption is almost always double the price in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
If not, below are some potential issues I'm aware of that you want to try and make sure were handled for the car you're buying, hopefully others can chime in with more:

20-NA-055
- Instrument cluster inoperative due to software issues
18-NA-355 - A8 transmission shudder, as above
18-NA-172 - NPP exhaust valve rattle fix
17-NA-287 - Rear diff groan, requires diff fluid flush
16-NA-404 - A8 programming on early 2016 models
Thanks! i'll look into these.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:55 AM   #7
Vega$69

Drives: 2017 Corvette ZO6 & 2021 Camaro LT1
Buying a used car from a dealer, sight unseen, rarely turns out well. The company you hired most likely will sell you on any POS they can find to make their fee.

The best way to go is to find cars from Private Sellers which can be purchased for 20%-25% less then dealers will sell them for. The have an independent inspector evaluate the car. Not an inspector recommended by the seller or the company you hired.

The private party seller can also take it to a Chevy Dealer for a complete pre-purchase inspection. Cost about $250 USD. You pay and you get the inspection results directly from the dealer, not from the seller.

Reach out to Camaro6 members that would take a 1st look at potential cars you are interested in. This also allows you do search nation wide rather the local to where the "hired" company is located.

When you have located and verified a few you are interested in jump on the big bird to see them in person. The cost of the trip is way less then the cost of a sad surprise if you buy sight unseen.
Vega$69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Buy a Camaro, leave it here, and fly here anytime you want to drive it LOL. I understand the implications, but $75K for a used Camaro isn't something I can wrap my head around...or advise for anyone else.

I do recall that was something my (foreign) stepfather had discussed when he purchased his new sports car.. he had said that the sale price alone was significantly less than what he would've paid back home.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #9
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Biggest hurdle is contacting anyone & them not thinking it’s a scam. Overseas buyer, broken grammar... “buyer’s agent”. It’s all there.

I know people do it, as evident by some European members here, & that’s great, but man what a PITA.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #10
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Serious question, I have heard that car tax in Finland was once 200% and was lowered to 100%. Is that true?
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #11
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
$75,000 for a personally sight unseen 5 year old car, you're a trusting person. Does Finland have sources for maintenance and repairs of an American 'muscle car'?
Old 01-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #12
anttioo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Buying a used car from a dealer, sight unseen, rarely turns out well. The company you hired most likely will sell you on any POS they can find to make their fee.

The best way to go is to find cars from Private Sellers which can be purchased for 20%-25% less then dealers will sell them for. The have an independent inspector evaluate the car. Not an inspector recommended by the seller or the company you hired.

The private party seller can also take it to a Chevy Dealer for a complete pre-purchase inspection. Cost about $250 USD. You pay and you get the inspection results directly from the dealer, not from the seller.

Reach out to Camaro6 members that would take a 1st look at potential cars you are interested in. This also allows you do search nation wide rather the local to where the "hired" company is located.

When you have located and verified a few you are interested in jump on the big bird to see them in person. The cost of the trip is way less then the cost of a sad surprise if you buy sight unseen.
Well i sure hope thats not the case. It's a Finnish company with a warehouse in the states and i suppose they have a good reputation so i hope they'll do their best to find a good one.

Without a doubt i'd fly there to check some cars in person if corona virus didn't exist. I just don't think it's going to possible in the near future.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #13
anttioo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Buy a Camaro, leave it here, and fly here anytime you want to drive it LOL. I understand the implications, but $75K for a used Camaro isn't something I can wrap my head around...or advise for anyone else.

I do recall that was something my (foreign) stepfather had discussed when he purchased his new sports car.. he had said that the sale price alone was significantly less than what he would've paid back home.
Haha I wish it was that simple. The only 6th gen 2018 camaro ss for sale in Finland thats already been taxed has a price tag of whopping 85000€ which is almost $105000 with the current rate. if i get it here for around 60k€ i could even make a profit selling it lol
Old 01-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #14
anttioo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Serious question, I have heard that car tax in Finland was once 200% and was lowered to 100%. Is that true?
i've never heard about 200% but it did indeed decrease some time ago. half of the price on cars with high emissions is basically car tax so you could say it is 100%. economical cars on the other hand have lower tax rate