Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 08-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
ZEN AVB-GM- no Toslink

So it looks like Nav-TV is not longer supporting the TOSLINK on the device. Have to connect via RCA
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #2
SWRocket

So I chatted with someone at NavTV online (very responsive and helpful) and asked if I could use only the front output RCAs to the DSP. They said that if I did that I would lose the sound from the backup sensors because those come over the rear speaker channels.

Is that true? Has anyone here disconnected the rear speakers and can verify that?
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
Old 08-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
So I chatted with someone at NavTV online (very responsive and helpful) and asked if I could use only the front output RCAs to the DSP. They said that if I did that I would lose the sound from the backup sensors because those come over the rear speaker channels.

Is that true? Has anyone here disconnected the rear speakers and can verify that?
I haven't disconnected the rear speakers but I can absolutely guarantee that to be the truth. I hear the audible beeps coming from the rear speakers every time I back out of my garage.

The digital signal that goes into the NAV-TV processor from the factory ECM encodes the signal to the rear speakers. That's how the processor decodes it.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
SWRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I haven't disconnected the rear speakers but I can absolutely guarantee that to be the truth. I hear the audible beeps coming from the rear speakers every time I back out of my garage.

The digital signal that goes into the NAV-TV processor from the factory ECM encodes the signal to the rear speakers. That's how the processor decodes it.
Thanks Petrol Head. Are you using the NAV-TV?
I'm very hesitant to buy it given the many issues reported (on the gm-truck forum and here as well)
Some real-world feedback would be very helpful...
Audio System Build Log
Old 08-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
Thanks Petrol Head. Are you using the NAV-TV?
I'm very hesitant to buy it given the many issues reported (on the gm-truck forum and here as well)
Some real-world feedback would be very helpful...
No I'm still on the factory stereo, but I've been doing a lot of homework considering to do this right you must take apart pretty much the entire interior.

But the NAV-TV system decodes the CAN bus data from the Camaro's factory input connector out the analog audio outputs as GM designed them. This ensures complete, full signal operation for the seatbelt/door ajar chimes that comes out of only the driver's side front door speaker, as well as factory chime volume adjustments and selections in your infotainment vehicle settings menu. Also your blindspot, backup, and forward collision alarms. Those are all user selectable and come out from different and various speakers.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
SWRocket

I did a full audio replacement in both my 2010 2SS and my 2014 z/28.
I know the device is the "right" way, I'm just worried about the negative experiences (with the product not the company) that many people have had...If you look at the gm trucks forums (which have the same Bose system) you'll see many people that have tried the NAV-TV AVB-GM and had real horror stories.
I'm hoping PAC come out with an AmpPRO for the 2019+ like they had for the 2016-2018 MYs.
Audio System Build Log
Old 08-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

There’s a couple users here who have the NAV-TV in their Camaro. One has had zero issues and the other had a problem, sent it back to them, and it’s fixed.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:47 AM   #8
chevcanada

Drives: chevy Camaro
So I have the Zen in my 19 since December. The optical cuts out and they were working on a fix until they gave up so just recently connected to the dsp via analog now. No issues. some weird floor noise but that started before the zen avb. It seems as if those problems were specific to the trucks
chevcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #9
SWRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevcanada View Post
So I have the Zen in my 19 since December. The optical cuts out and they were working on a fix until they gave up so just recently connected to the dsp via analog now. No issues. some weird floor noise but that started before the zen avb. It seems as if those problems were specific to the trucks
Thank you for your feedback, makes me feel better...
I guess I'll take my chances and order one. At least the company seems reliable.
Audio System Build Log
Old 08-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #10
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
I also have this unit. I had a long conversation with their CEO after I complained loudly to an accounts receivable rep trying to collect on multiple advanced units I was hanging on to.

They are working through the toslink issues. It is a bit frustrating but they promise they are committed to fixing it and they are actively releasing firmware so they are doing something.

The hardware issue is a dumb one. Personally, I feel they rushed the product to mass production prior to proper field testing. As such, they have had to rework all of the boards at least 2 times. I have had 3 separate revisions. The original, an intermediate that had extra stuff soldered only to the top of the PCB and a third (and final according to the CEO) which has stuff soldered on both sides of the PCB. The gist of this issue (as I understand it) is that GM doesn't properly follow the AVB protocol and therefor it has been a bit of a challenge to architect a solution that integrates with it. They also have a tendency to make changes with OTA firmware updates to the car.

The unit currently in my car has been working fine but I have been using RCA because of the toslink issues. I updated to the most recent firmware a few days ago and the toslink appears to be completely dead now.

I can confirm unequivocally, that the rear backup sounds are missing without the rear channels plumbed in.

Final thought. I spent 1 year with just an audiocontrol dm-608 high to low converting the factory bose amp. This unit is a whole different league and worth the issues.
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:31 PM   #11
chevcanada

Drives: chevy Camaro
Good to hear they are still working on toslink. Back on RCA it cut out for a few seconds today I wasn't very pleased. I forgot to check for OTA updates I should probably do that snd then check for updates on the zen
chevcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #12
SWRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamaroVert View Post
I also have this unit. I had a long conversation with their CEO after I complained loudly to an accounts receivable rep trying to collect on multiple advanced units I was hanging on to.

They are working through the toslink issues. It is a bit frustrating but they promise they are committed to fixing it and they are actively releasing firmware so they are doing something.

The hardware issue is a dumb one. Personally, I feel they rushed the product to mass production prior to proper field testing. As such, they have had to rework all of the boards at least 2 times. I have had 3 separate revisions. The original, an intermediate that had extra stuff soldered only to the top of the PCB and a third (and final according to the CEO) which has stuff soldered on both sides of the PCB. The gist of this issue (as I understand it) is that GM doesn't properly follow the AVB protocol and therefor it has been a bit of a challenge to architect a solution that integrates with it. They also have a tendency to make changes with OTA firmware updates to the car.

The unit currently in my car has been working fine but I have been using RCA because of the toslink issues. I updated to the most recent firmware a few days ago and the toslink appears to be completely dead now.

I can confirm unequivocally, that the rear backup sounds are missing without the rear channels plumbed in.

Final thought. I spent 1 year with just an audiocontrol dm-608 high to low converting the factory bose amp. This unit is a whole different league and worth the issues.
Thank you so much for the detailed response!
I have considered using a LC8i or even my BitOne.1 for integration but I hear there are issues with chimes and stuff.
Although I was planning to do my install now (have all the equipment), maybe I'll wait for next summer and buy the Zen at that time when, hopefully, the issues are resolved...
I am using high end amps and speakers and skimping on the integration does seem silly.
Audio System Build Log
Old 09-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #13
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
Definitely doesn't make sense to scrimp on the integration. I really was dissatisfied with the audiocontrol summing/processing method. The Bose system does all sorts of compression and eq changes based on volume and speed etc. You can get a nice sound idling in neutral then you go 20 and it sounds like trash or you turn it up 20% and it all changes. Especially the low end.

Chimes were definitely a problem as well.

I don't think they will change the hardware that much more and they were pretty quick to swap mine out when they did anyway. The firmware is rapid firing at us so you can buy now and accept that you may have some concessions like I have. Only real concession ATM is the lack of optical. I just am using a pair of RCA and it sounds good enough. If I was motivated, I could plumb in the rear channels so I could get backup noises but I just look where I'm going like we should anyway...
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #14
SWRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamaroVert View Post
Definitely doesn't make sense to scrimp on the integration. I really was dissatisfied with the audiocontrol summing/processing method. The Bose system does all sorts of compression and eq changes based on volume and speed etc. You can get a nice sound idling in neutral then you go 20 and it sounds like trash or you turn it up 20% and it all changes. Especially the low end.

Chimes were definitely a problem as well.

I don't think they will change the hardware that much more and they were pretty quick to swap mine out when they did anyway. The firmware is rapid firing at us so you can buy now and accept that you may have some concessions like I have. Only real concession ATM is the lack of optical. I just am using a pair of RCA and it sounds good enough. If I was motivated, I could plumb in the rear channels so I could get backup noises but I just look where I'm going like we should anyway...
LOL, yeah I don't know where I became so reliant on these toys...
I plan to use a miniDSP 8X12 DSP so adding an extra pair of RCAs later is not an issue.
Still trying to decide between a 2-way or 3-way front stage so lots of more important decisions than the rear for sure.
Audio System Build Log