Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
Ssvertlife

Drives: 2017 Silver SS Convertible
Only Manual Of Top Possible

Hey I have a 2017 Convertible camaro and I been getting the message “only manual operation of top possible”. Do y’all know the cause or the fix for this? The top won’t go down at all.
Ssvertlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Might be helpful if you could post any details of any troubleshooting you've already done, when it occurred, what else might have been going on leading up to that time, etc.

First thing that comes to mind is to check the trunk partition and make sure it's attached in place correctly then verify that the trunk is closed and the car doesn't think it's open.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Ssvertlife

Hey I double checked the partition divider and it’s in the correct position. Usually when it’s not in the right area I get a different error code on the screen. Now it’s just saying “only manual of top possible” when I click the convertible button either direction. I also noticed when I try to pop the truck now it says “top not secure” put it won’t let me secure the top. I’m confused on what made it start doing that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Might be helpful if you could post any details of any troubleshooting you've already done, when it occurred, what else might have been going on leading up to that time, etc.

First thing that comes to mind is to check the trunk partition and make sure it's attached in place correctly then verify that the trunk is closed and the car doesn't think it's open.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssvertlife View Post
Hey I double checked the partition divider and it’s in the correct position. Usually when it’s not in the right area I get a different error code on the screen. Now it’s just saying “only manual of top possible” when I click the convertible button either direction. I also noticed when I try to pop the truck now it says “top not secure” put it won’t let me secure the top. I’m confused on what made it start doing that
It sounds like you're stuck in somewhere in a "loop" of sorts... Use the key to open the trunk and check for anything that might be blocking a sensor or anything in the trunk area. Manually close the top all the way (instructions in the owner's manual). Then you can maybe try again?

Otherwise, sounds like a trip to the dealer to at least read the specific code that it's throwing is in order.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
Ssvertlife

Yup I’m going to play around with again today. Thank god the top is in the almost closed position and not stuck wayyyy back in the trunk lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
It sounds like you're stuck in somewhere in a "loop" of sorts... Use the key to open the trunk and check for anything that might be blocking a sensor or anything in the trunk area. Manually close the top all the way (instructions in the owner's manual). Then you can maybe try again?

Otherwise, sounds like a trip to the dealer to at least read the specific code that it's throwing is in order.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 20+ mins. No guarantees but worth a shot.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
Ssvertlife

Yup tried that and got the same result. I think I seen you on one of the other threads. Did you have that issue before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 20+ mins. No guarantees but worth a shot.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Had that problem when I replaced the battery. There is a top position sensor behind the battery on part of the top mechanism. The plug is easily knocked off the sensor when you are putting a new battery. I did that last year. :(

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
Ssvertlife

Is it like a plug and play sensor and is it easily reached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Had that problem when I replaced the battery. There is a top position sensor behind the battery on part of the top mechanism. The plug is easily knocked off the sensor when you are putting a new battery. I did that last year. :(
Old 08-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #10
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
I know you looked, and that usually you get a different code, but have you tried removing the partition divider, and replacing it again. worth a try
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #11
GroundhogSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssvertlife View Post
Is it like a plug and play sensor and is it easily reached?

It's behind the battery. I ended up taking it to the dealer before I learned about the sensor.

#TeamBeckyD

Old 08-03-2020, 07:59 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
It's behind the battery. I ended up taking it to the dealer before I learned about the sensor.
Behind as in between the battery and the rear bumper?

Or behind as in between the battery and the rear seat?
Old 08-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #13
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
Right above the battery , with 2 yellow wires.
It would be right behind the tail light....
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #14
GroundhogSS

Yeah, between the battery and the fender, I think.

#TeamBeckyD