Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 09-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Magnet on oil filter

I always had a round strong magnet on the bottom of my 82 camaro's oil filter and still have one on my 72 vette. Do you think it would be a good idea to have one on the 17ss?
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Yes. You're not hurting anything by putting one on and if it does catch any pieces of metal then you are helping your engine.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Black1LESS View Post
Yes. You're not hurting anything by putting one on and if it does catch any pieces of metal then you are helping your engine.
+1
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
I would install the magnet that wraps around the side of the oil filter.

http://www.filtermag.com/
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
I always had a round strong magnet on the bottom of my 82 camaro's oil filter and still have one on my 72 vette. Do you think it would be a good idea to have one on the 17ss?
Why not just get a magnetic drain plug?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
How is the metal getting passed your filter material in the filter for the magnet to actually do any good?

To me, if you have stuff getting passed the filter media to where the magnet is playing catcher and "helping the engine" then you need to start buying better filters.

A drain plug magnet seems much more functional. A magnet in the filter that is actually helping sounds like a bandaid being applied to a much bigger problem that isn't being solved. That your filter is not filtering.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
14Black1LESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
A magnetic drain plug is good to have as well but that doesn't catch everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
How is the metal getting passed your filter material in the filter for the magnet to actually do any good?

To me, if you have stuff getting passed the filter media to where the magnet is playing catcher and "helping the engine" then you need to start buying better filters.

A drain plug magnet seems much more functional. A magnet in the filter that is actually helping sounds like a bandaid being applied to a much bigger problem that isn't being solved. That your filter is not filtering.
It doesn't matter what filter you use, metal fragments will still get by the filter. As I just mentioned above, a magnetic drain plug is good to have as well but that does not catch everything.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
cellsafemode

What you get in the oil pan by the drain plug is not stuff that passed the filter but stuff that either drains down the engine into the pan and never leaves it or happens to go through the system when the filter is in bypass due to high oil pressure.

The only thing a oil filter magnet can do is work on oil that _is_ passing the filter media. The filter media should only be letting things that are the size of microns through, as it would have to pass through the filter media pores, which are extremely tiny. You're essentially putting a magnet at a spot where the oil is the cleanest it's ever going to be. and the tiny particles that pass through the media (if your filter isn't garbage) aren't going to hurt anything. It's the worst place to put your magnet and while it wont hurt anything, it wont really help anything either.

The drain plug is the best place to put a magnet since you remove it when you do your oil change and it's in a place that sees a majority of the oil sit, giving the magnet the most amount of time to pull any significant pieces of iron/steel out of the largest amount of oil with the highest likelihood of retaining that metal due to low flow rates around it.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
Magnum922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
I had both on the camaro. The vette I just have the magnet on the filter.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
Magnum922

Quote:
What you get in the oil pan by the drain plug is not stuff that passed the filter but stuff that either drains down the engine into the pan and never leaves it or happens to go through the system when the filter is in bypass due to high oil pressure.

The only thing a oil filter magnet can do is work on oil that _is_ passing the filter media. The filter media should only be letting things that are the size of microns through, as it would have to pass through the filter media pores, which are extremely tiny. You're essentially putting a magnet at a spot where the oil is the cleanest it's ever going to be. and the tiny particles that pass through the media (if your filter isn't garbage) aren't going to hurt anything. It's the worst place to put your magnet and while it wont hurt anything, it wont really help anything either.

The drain plug is the best place to put a magnet since you remove it when you do your oil change and it's in a place that sees a majority of the oil sit, giving the magnet the most amount of time to pull any significant pieces of iron/steel out of the largest amount of oil with the highest likelihood of retaining that metal due to low flow rates around it.
Never thought of it that way. It just felt like i was doing something good for the engine.Thanks
Old 09-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
14Black1LESS

Quote:

Maybe you will learn something from this. As I already said, it doesn't matter what oil filter you use, it will not catch all of the metal particles.
youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1y3qhopc4
Old 09-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
cellsafemode

Marketing animation from jegs for a product they sell? Turbonator had the same stuff.

Standard and cheap filters have a paper media. Any oil going into the filter that isn't being bypassed at the time is going to go through this paper. Anything that makes it through is going to be only a certain number of microns large and that's not large enough to do damage to an engine or everyone's engines would be damaged and not running for the 15+ years that they all basically do these days.

The oil that leaves the filter when it's not being bypassed is the cleanest oil in your car at any given time. If you have a problem where damaging sized particles of metal are making it through your filter so that you need a magnet to improve protection at the filter then your filter media has been perforated or otherwise damaged and you need to replace the filter and think about getting one that's much better quality or change it sooner so it's not stuck always in bypass mode.

A magnet in the oil pan (usually via the plug screw) makes sense because oil in there has not yet been passed through the filter and will carry particles down from the engine where they will settle when the car is off or oil pressure is low. So there is both time and opportunity to capture those by the magnet.

Oil filter magnets wont do you any harm, but they're a waste of money.

edit: if your argument is that filters just dont filter enough when operating as they're supposed to then we're living in different universes.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #13
BurningMan

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS / 2012 CBR1000RR
IIRC oil flow in a filter is from outside in, ie oil exits through the center hole of the filter. Therefore any particles caught by an external magnet have yet to flow through the filter.
BurningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
I cut my oil filters open and look inside. Not all oil filters are created equal. Some are actually crap.
I see no harm in an oil filter magnet, although I would hope that the oil filter would catch any particles.
Try it, cut it open, see what you get. What have you got to lose, a dollar for a magnet.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote