Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
17Fifty

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro Fifty
Secondary Cats

Hi All,

First time posting here so I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I'm looking at upgrading my stock exhaust on my 2017 2SS Fifty. So far I've installed the Flow Master American Thunder axle back kit. I wasn't planning on doing anything else but now I want to do headers, high flow cats, and mid pipe. I'm also looking at deleting the secondary cats.

I know the secondary Cats Are required for CARB states which Virginia is not. I talked to a guy at Meineke and he also confirmed the secondary cats are not required here in VA, specifically here in Stafford. Yes I know the federal laws regarding removing emissions equipment.

With all that being said I have a few questions that I hope all you folks in VA can help me with.
  • Kooks has the EPA certified green cats ($1000) that Kooks claims will not throw codes. Should I go with these or other high flows ($500) and have the car tuned or buy a tuner to eliminate the 02 sensors and gain all the other benefits from the tune.
What tuner do you guys recommend?
With the guy at Meineke telling me the secondary cats are not needed, I'm assuming I wont have any issues passing smog. Your thoughts?
If you have done what I want to do what system did you go with and what have you experienced?

Thanks all
17Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
i have borla with axle + x-pipee. my plan is to get the kooks long tube with high flow cats. it should void warranty so i been waiting for a bit but below is what i'm looking at. obviously at the time of buy i'll look to see what is on sale.

Kooks Long Tube with Cats

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote