Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #29
MrNoMercy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
What the heck, I'll chime in here. I had a 2015 and loved it but I love my SS better for a number of reasons.

I think this iteration is what the 2015 should have been from the start. Ford cut a lot of corners to get the 2015 ready. Focused too much in certain areas where they should have focused on others. Performance wise I think the 2018 will end up being about ~12.7 (manual) and ~12.5 (auto). They've already said price point is going to go up on the car and most of the new features advertised are optional upgrades including the digital gauge cluster. I would expect Fords pricing with similar options will now be in line with GM's pricing on the SS. One thing I'd like to know is if the standad GT Premium is going to come with Brembo's or is it going to come with the same ones the 15's did. I'm guessing Brembos will be a PP upgrade like last time. I have to agree that horsepower isn't going to be as important as actual performance numbers but it will factor in. ~100lbs, 55 torque, and 20hp is a big deal.
MrNoMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #30
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
You all do realize that the 2018 GT350 is going to get the same chassis improvements that the PP2 is getting don't you?

Expect the 2018 GT350 (both R and non) to be quicker than the previous model years, and the PP2 to be likely very close to what the V8 1LE is running. Hell, just the tires alone offer staggering improvements.
The Official word from Ford is that the 2018 GT350/GT350R will have no changes except for some different colors. In fact, it is a lot more likely that the chassis improvements in the PP2 are trickle down from the GT350. Or it is likely that the "new cross-axis joint in the rear suspension leads to increased lateral stiffness", was put in the 2018 to address the seemingly unsolvable drivetrain vibration issue a bunch of folks are having. Either way, the GT350/GT350R will not change for 2018.

Which means the PP2 will not be too close to the V8 1LE, or that would make it too close in performance to the GT350. Big dilemma for Ford.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #31
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2017 View Post
I thankfully got one that doesn't do that, but I personally know two owners having this very issue. They both even had diffs replaced, one had the whole IRS assembly replaced, still vibrates a lot at certain speeds. The dealer has one more thing to try and then he is lemon lawing it...he's understandably upset.
Yes, it is a very elusive problem, and I'm not sure anyone knows what's causing the issue, let alone how to fix it. I noticed that the new Mustang features:

"a new cross-axis joint in the rear suspension leads to increased lateral stiffness"

Perhaps this addresses the issue? Not sure.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #32
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Only color changes for 350. Been confirmed

Regular 350 just shown to be the same speed as an ats-v. Ats v no quicker than SS. Same track. Same driver. Different day but lmao.

The new pp2 will be lucky to keep up with a 3rd year base model ss on run flats. With parts from a parts bin. And a dinosaur for a motor. Poor furd

Vs 1le... yeah right.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #33
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
lol
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #34
ULTRAZLS1

Well they copied the dual mode exhaust. Copied digital gauges. Copied direct injection.Copied the suspension. Got a transmission we helped them make and use ourselves. Bumped the power for the 3rd time in the coyote. And added yet another little pack to help the pony compete.

With all that it should handle the base model parts bin dinosaur with a lackluster tractor like motor. And one would think rather easily. GM had no problem decimating the s550 GT with the 6g. In every metric.

I wonder if the new pp will even beat a 5th gen 1le?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #35
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Well they copied the dual mode exhaust. Copied digital gauges. Copied the suspension. Got a transmission we helped them make and use ourselves. Bumped the power for the 3rd time in the coyote. And added yet another little pack to help the pony compete.

With all that it should handle the base model parts bin dinosaur with a lackluster tractor like motor. And one would think rather easily. GM had no problem decimating the s550 with the 6g. In every metric.
I will hold final judgement until we see performance numbers, but it looks like this refresh for the Mustang will not be leapfroging the Camaro, but playing catch-up feature wise and perhaps performance wise. Which of course, will add weight and cost. But, I want to see HP, TQ, weight, and of course all the performance metrics, like 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-0, figure 8, etc...

Last edited by whiteboyblues2001; 01-18-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #36
ULTRAZLS1

It should do well I'm just being a smart ass.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #37
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Well they copied the dual mode exhaust.
The 2015 GT350 had dual mode exhaust

Quote:
Copied digital gauges.
Golly, I didn’t realize the SS had all an digital instrument cluster.

Quote:
Copied direct injection.
It's already on the EB mustang.

Quote:
Copied the suspension.
Already on the GT350

Quote:
Got a transmission we helped them make and use ourselves.
When is the SS getting the 10 speed?

Quote:
Bumped the power for the 3rd time in the coyote.
And this is a bad thing?

It’s going to be an interesting year…smart ass.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #38
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klier View Post
Hate to say, but the mustang looks much better than the camaro...
ron scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #39
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
You all do realize that the 2018 GT350 is going to get the same chassis improvements that the PP2 is getting don't you?

Expect the 2018 GT350 (both R and non) to be quicker than the previous model years, and the PP2 to be likely very close to what the V8 1LE is running. Hell, just the tires alone offer staggering improvements.

The 1LE matches or beats a GT350 on a track....so you're saying the new GT PP is going to be faster than a GT350?

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #40
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Talking

Quote:
Well they copied the dual mode exhaust. Copied digital gauges. Copied direct injection.Copied the suspension. Got a transmission we helped them make and use ourselves. Bumped the power for the 3rd time in the coyote. And added yet another little pack to help the pony compete.

With all that it should handle the base model parts bin dinosaur with a lackluster tractor like motor. And one would think rather easily. GM had no problem decimating the s550 GT with the 6g. In every metric.

I wonder if the new pp will even beat a 5th gen 1le?
I wonder how long Mustang will even last of Ford doesn't match Camaro in every metric. I mean it can't be long. Ford should probably box it up, no one is going to want a sporty 2+2 with all the modern amenities, style(subjective as it may be), and more performance than 96% of its buyers will ever need, want, and/or even use.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #41
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klier View Post
Sorry, fan boy. I just speak the truth. Look at the photos.
The only one whos trolling here is u. I just say what I think. There is no need to be rude.
If I was buying a car for looks I'd go lease a Lexus.

I bought the SS because it was and continues to be the best performing vehicle in its class. I don't see that changing as long as Ford is just doing a facelift and suspension tweaks.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #42
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian@W View Post
If I was buying a car for looks I'd go lease a Lexus.

I bought the SS because it was and continues to be the best performing vehicle in its class. I don't see that changing as long as Ford is just doing a facelift and suspension tweaks.
They're also updating the 5.0 with dual injection (DI/PI) and other changes which will not only result in more power but better fuel economy.

They're also updating the manual transmission and adding in the 10 speed automatic.

It's not just suspension and appearance tweaks.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote