Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 05-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS
O rings keep snapping

So I am only willing to use catch cans that fully separate due to the “gunk” sticking to the inside of the can.. basically I remove them clean them throughouly with carb cleaner etc. drains to me are not sufficient. The issue I am having is the o rings keep snapping. I was thinking about using an etc type sealant. Basically separate the can add some tape run the rtv around the O-Ring area remove tape let cure.. has anyone tried this? I’m tired of buying o rings all the time. Any other ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

Just in case anyone is looking at this with the same issue.. I emailed Permatex they said not to use any of their stuff only o rings just an fyi
Old 05-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I've had the same catch can for 5 years and it still has the original O ring. I just unscrew the bottom section, drain it, wipe out the can, lube the ring with a bit of oil, and reassemble it. I don't see too much gunk build up in the can between cleanings so I don't use a cleaning chemical. Does your carb cleaner get applied to the ring? Maybe your cleaning process is inadvertently damaging the ring? Or maybe your can is installed in a location that gets really hot - cooking the captured oil and O ring at the same time? Maybe moving the can to a cooler location in the engine bay will reduce the gunk in the catch can and extend the life of the O ring?
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

One next to the turbo one next to the intake manifold. In process of moving both and a third to front of engine. One for internal pcv one for turbo vacuum and one for dirty side pcv which will drain automatically back into the oil pan once it fills up since I will be collecting all the dirty at the internal pcv. The original one that came with it leaked ever so minor but it did. But that was the intake manifold side. The turbo side was actually fine.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Try a little di-electric grease.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I had one on my 5th gen for over 150k never had any o-ring problems. I can't say much for the ones on my 6th gen the o-rings on the cans where it screws in are fine the internal o-rings not so much.....

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

I always lubed them with oil I only clean the lower portion of the cans I just ordered a pack of 50 rings just in case. I’m going to be adding a larger can on the factory dirty side since that will be near all oil just from pressure once my internal valve is set up. I still always noticed the outsides of the cans get shiny from minor leaks I’m a nut about my car so I wipe everything down once I take them apart and put them back together. Either way I’m going to a 3 can setup and will be getting rid of the mishi style can I’m not a fan of it.