#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Change from normal ZL1 to ZL1 1LE or upgrade parts

Hi all

Yesterday, I took my normal ZL1 to the track. The car worked great and the power is just amazing.

Goimg forward, I would like to use racing slicks to add grip. However, I felt that the back was relatively soft accelerating out of corners.

Now I kinda wish I had gone with the 1LE.....

Is there a way to upgrade to the 1LE suspension? What are all the parts that need to be changed and how much would that cost including fitting? Does that even make sense?

Also, racing slicks are a lot more available in 18 inch, so I guess I need some new wheels. Anyone has a good recommendation for 18 inch wheels that dont cost an arm and a leg?

cheers
cirpower
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
Hi all

Yesterday, I took my normal ZL1 to the track. The car worked great and the power is just amazing.

Goimg forward, I would like to use racing slicks to add grip. However, I felt that the back was relatively soft accelerating out of corners.

Is there a way to upgrade to the 1LE suspension? What are all the parts that need to be changed and how much would that cost including fitting? Does that even make sense?

Also, racing slicks are a lot more available in 18 inch, so I guess I need some new wheels. Anyone has a good recommendation for 18 inch wheels that dont cost an arm and a leg?

cheers
cirpower
I was thinking about maybe doing the same.

https://wildhammermotorsports.com/ca...t-performance/

https://wildhammermotorsports.com/ca...t-performance/
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Hi all

cheers
cirpower
You do not need to upgrade to the harsh ZLE DSSV shocks/springs.

All you need to do to tighten up the rear-end is add either a rear cradle lock-out kit or swap out the rear cradle bushings for solid ones. That makes all the difference.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I'm not sure how much track time you have in total, but I'd focus on getting the most out of the factory parts first. There is more in driver-mod than parts typically. If you have tons of experience, then disregard.

Quote:
Hi all

cheers
cirpower
Old 10-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
You do not need to upgrade to the harsh ZLE DSSV shocks/springs.

All you need to do to tighten up the rear-end is add either a rear cradle lock-out kit or swap out the rear cradle bushings for solid ones. That makes all the difference.

yeah all the aero stuffs just a gimmick....

and the brakes....

and the tires....

and the added camber top hats....

And the DSSV shocks thats stupid stuff F1 uses just to get a multimatic sticker on there car.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I think the point is that the novice driver or average driver is going to see a bigger difference from the Goodyear 3R's vs the GYSC3's instead of anything else.

There is no difference in the brakes between the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE except the caliper color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post

and the brakes....

and the tires....

And the DSSV shocks thats stupid stuff F1 uses just to get a multimatic sticker on there car.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #7
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
I think the point is that the novice driver or average driver is going to see a bigger difference from the Goodyear 3R's vs the GYSC3's instead of anything else.

There is no difference in the brakes between the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE except the caliper color.

the red color adds slightly more performance
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:04 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Hi all

cheers
cirpower
It would be a lot easier just to buy a ZLE like this one, which looks to be set up for the track...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562504
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post

and the brakes....

and the tires....

LOL, Not sure if you were being serious or not.

Yes, all those other things help obviously, (with the biggest factor being the 3R tires), but I was specifically addressing the non-tight feeling of the rear-end.

Yes, the DSSV shocks are bad ass and used by F1 race cars, BUT the MRC is also great and from those who have swapped, they found no time savings by swapping. They are simply more track focused and 1 dimensional.

The weakest link going from the ZL1 1LE to the SS 1LE / ZL1 are the rear cradle bushings and tire grip. Those 2 items will get you 95% of the handling side of things.

The brakes are just as great on all 3 trims, you can get about 2.2 to 2.5 camber on the ZL1 and SS 1LE. Aero is really a non-factor until triple digit speeds, and while the ZL1 has less aero than the ZLE, there is still enough there to keep things planted. In fact, I would wager that additional down force and/or grippier tires on those rubber cradle bushings will cause more instability, as you are putting more stress on them (higher G loads on rubber bushings is BAAAD)

You have to keep in mind that the suspension system is ALL components working together as a cohesive package to create a sum. When upgrading, start from the foundation and work your way up the chain.

OR, just upgrade to the ZLE if all you want to do is have a dedicated track car.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06

Last edited by TRZ06; 10-28-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
LOL, Not sure if you were being serious or not.

Yes, all those other things help obviously, (with the biggest factor being the 3R tires), but I was specifically addressing the non-tight feeling of the rear-end.

Yes, the DSSV shocks are bad ass and used by F1 race cars, BUT the MRC is also great and from those who have swapped, they found no time savings by swapping. They are simply more track focused and 1 dimensional.

The weakest link going from the ZL1 1LE to the SS 1LE / ZL1 are the rear cradle bushings and tire grip. Those 2 items will get you 95% of the handling side of things.

The brakes are just as great on all 3 trims, you can get about 2.2 to 2.5 camber on the ZL1 and SS 1LE. Aero is really a non-factor until triple digit speeds, and while the ZL1 has less aero than the ZLE, there is still enough there to keep things planted. In fact, I would wager that additional down force and/or grippier tires on those rubber cradle bushings will cause more instability, as you are putting more stress on them (higher G loads on rubber bushings is BAAAD)

You have to keep in mind that the suspension system is ALL components working together as a cohesive package to create a sum. When upgrading, start from the foundation and work your way up the chain.

OR, just upgrade to the ZLE if all you want to do is have a dedicated track car.
You have learned much grasshopper
I don't agree 100% with what I bolded as the factory rubber bushings can still handle more stress, but we all know they are a weak link and less rubber in the suspension bushings is better.

OP: On some tracks the aero will be more of a hindrance than a benefit also
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
After modding a few cars suspensions/tire sizes etc they were better (especially my GT350), but it still didn't feel completely right. Almost like certain things weren't playing nice together as a cohesive package. Which, is why I went with the ZLE. I don't find the ride that bad, of course on really bad roads it is, but so were so some of my previous cars. Especially my first 15 M3 static suspension, which was worse in terms of ride and much worse when it came to doing what it was supposed to do performance wise. At least with the harsher ride you get a world class suspension setup with the ZLE.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
After modding a few cars suspensions/tire sizes etc they were better (especially my GT350), but it still didn't feel completely right. Almost like certain things weren't playing nice together as a cohesive package. Which, is why I went with the ZLE. I don't find the ride that bad, of course on really bad roads it is, but so were so some of my previous cars. Especially my first 15 M3 static suspension, which was worse in terms of ride and much worse when it came to doing what it was supposed to do performance wise. At least with the harsher ride you get a world class suspension setup with the ZLE.
HAHA, totally agree with you on the M3 crap suspension. BMW needs a new shock/suspension tuning engineering team. They are WAY BEHIND in shock tuning.

I hated my 16' M3 suspension so much I moved to the Ohlin R/T coil-overs, and even then, like you said, it didn't work all that great as a cohesive package.

The ZLE is a great choice that is built right, right out of the gate. I think I am just at an age now though, that I wouldn't want the ride penalty as a daily. That is why the ZL1 or SS 1LE with MRC and a few select mods is the best of both worlds.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 10-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #13
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
You have learned much grasshopper
I don't agree 100% with what I bolded as the factory rubber bushings can still handle more stress, but we all know they are a weak link and less rubber in the suspension bushings is better.

OP: On some tracks the aero will be more of a hindrance than a benefit also

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #14
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Save money for seat time and tires.. and track insurance. and brakes, novices are hard on brakes.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote