Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
sleepy floyd

Drives: '74 Ford Bronco
ZL1 versus gt350

So guys, I posted this exact post on the GT350 forum and got some great responses and feedback. Would love to hear some honest, unbiased (as much as possible) feedback from this side as well, as I'm really struggling to decide between two awesome cars.

GT350 forum post:

So, I recognize that I'm posing this to a very biased audience :-), but here's my situation and how I got here...

I'm not biased to any particular brand, but I've also been partial to Ford (have owned 3 Mustangs in the past and currently have a '74 Bronco that I've been restoring over the past 5 years). My son and I stumbled on a gt350 when we were getting our GMC appraised at Carmax and talked our way into a test drive. By the time we were done, we were both grinning ear to ear and giddy for the rest of the day. We started looking around, and my son pointed out that there was an '18 ZL1 for sale at a local dealer that we should look at. I wasn't really interested, but we went by just to kill some time on a Saturday. Couldn't believe how impressed I was with the Camaro. It's nowhere near as stylish as the 350, but 650hp and 600+ torque, it is like a hammer (and I honestly like the interior better than the gt350).

We both (my son and I) prefer the styling of the Mustang as well as the sound (which is just unbeatable). I started getting very concerned though the more I researched and read about the oil consumption issues. That, plus I can get a better deal on a ZL1 (believe it or not there is still a dealer here in the bay area that has a leftover new 2018 gt350 in their showroom asking $20k premium over msrp lol). Anyway, these are the two cars that I'm looking at for the time being. Have been really close on pulling the trigger on the ZL1, but keep getting drawn back to the Ford.

Vehicle 1: brand new 2018 ZL1 6 speed, full factory warranty from Chevy dealer. MSRP: $65.5k, purchase price: $52.5k ($13k discount)

Vehicle 2: 2017 GT350, 2k miles (still need to confirm it is a late build/canister oil filter), has recaros and nav. Price is $49k + shipping as it's halfway across the country. I'm sure there are other options similar to this one if it doesn't work out, but this is about as low as I can find for a clean title one owner late production one.

Knowing what you know now, how would you feel about these two options (and try to keep your ownership goggles to a minimum :-) ).

Appreciate feedback.
sleepy floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
For what appears to be only about a $2,500 price difference after you figure shipping in, the ZL1 is a no-brainer.

If it was a GT350R, then it would be a tougher decision.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I have a feeling some people will argue that the GT350 will hold it's value much better than the ZL1. Though that has been true in the past as soon as the GT500 lands this year I am expecting the GT350 prices to drop significantly, so I'd keep that in mind if that is important to you.

As for performance.... ZL1 hands down, the GT350 (non-R) is roughly equivalent to an SS 1LE so needless to say the ZL1 would be king in this comparison.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
sleepy floyd

From a value perspective, I agree 100% that the Camaro is a better deal. Some guys on the GT350 forum were apparently mulling the same decision when they purchased, it's great to get a perspective from a real owner now that you've bought your car. I've heard some issues with the 6 speeds bogging down and there's obviously the visibility issue on the Camaro. Point being, are there any issues that would make you reconsider in hindsight or did you 100% make the right call?
Old 03-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
TLDR version - was also considering GT350 and bought a ZL1.

The long version...

I'm also a long time Ford guy, having owned several Mustangs and a number of F trucks and Broncos, but I'm not "brand loyal"... I buy what meets my needs/desires at any particular time. On the GM side, we had a G8GT I liked a lot, and a C6 'Vette that was a total POS.

My wife and I both do a good bit of track driving. We have a '92 Miata that is a dedicated track car, and she was daily driving a '13 Miata that we also tracked occasionally. About a year ago, I stumbled onto a very low mile, well priced '17 Mustang GT PP 6MT in Grabber Blue and fell in lust with it immediately. Took the wife to drive it, and we bought it on the spot. I was hugely impressed with the improvement over previous Mustangs... it handled great, looked fantastic and was plenty fast.

After the first trip to the track, I started looking at the upgrades necessary for semi-regular track usage. I also test drove an '18 GT PP with the A10... Given the cost of upgrades, we were considering upgrading to an '18/'19 PP2 A10, and I also started looking at used GT350 prices, though I was concerned about some of the problems with both the GT350 and '18 GT engines, and the fact that the PP2 would still need upgrades for track use.

In the meantime, our local Chevy dealer got in an '18 ZL1 A10 w/ 2700 miles... after a test drive, all thoughts of the GT350 were gone.

Styling is always subjective, and I think both are great looking cars, but would give a slight nod to the Mustang, especially in the right colors. Interior goes to the ZL1, no contest. The Mustang, at all trim levels, just looks cheap by comparison. Visibility out of the Camaro is only slightly worse, but the much better backup camera makes up most of that ground in parking lots.

Performance wise, they are both astounding cars, but the ZL1 is a match for the GT350R on track, and murders either GT350 in a straight line.

The exhaust on the GT350 that everyone loves so much (including me) is something most would grow to hate on long trips or in regular driving. The ZL1 gives you more options with the variable exhaust, and is just a lot more livable.

Both are special cars, but IMHO the ZL1 is the better of the two, and the better value, especially with the current discounts on the '18s.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
If you want the stock motor + exhaust to sing a song that will stir your soul - GT350.

If you want the aftermarket headers + exhaust to sing a song that will stir your soul - ZL1.

The GT350 motor is delicious in it's high rpm symphony. There literally is no substitute for that Flat Plane Crank sound at this moment from any other manufacturer for under $100k.

The ZL1 is plenty fast and purposeful with an interior that is substantially better than the Shelby. No question. In the real world and in most situations - the ZL1 will feel faster because of all that low end torque.

However, on a back road stock for stock - the GT350 will be more usable with the power less frightening.

Speaking as someone with the 1LE, my use is Track first which is why I went ZL1.

If most of my driving was for pleasure (weekends - back roads only) then GT350 would win.

Trust my feedback is unbiased as I have driven both and speak from experience.

Last edited by Checkmate1; 03-21-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
sleepy floyd

Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for and is confirming a lot of my thoughts. Incredibly helpful, I appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
https://youtu.be/OoCjmJX_ArA
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #9
TheMailMan0

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I'm a Ford guy, always hated Camaros with a passion. Had a 14' Roush Stage 3 / 14"GT500/ 18' GT350. Loved every single one of them. The GT350 was the best car 'overall' I'd ever driven, I put over 20K miles on it in 12 months. Had zero oil consumption issues, until 21K, (and I thought I was out of the woods.)
Ford is the terrible to their customers, and their dealership mechanics are about as green as they come. Which is why I always did my own work on these cars, until the oil consumption nightmare. Nightmare is what it was.

I got rid of the GT350. I convinced myself I'd get a fuel efficient "dad" mobile. Then I saw a 18' ZL1 took it for a test drive and the rest is history. I hated to admit it to myself but the ZL1 is THE better car. Now I'm here waiting for the new dyno numbers, estimating around 700-720RWHP
TheMailMan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #10
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I opted out of the 1LE package on my Z...judging by the way they were "jiggling" around in those seats, Im sure glad I did.
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #11
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
1st I love the honest feedback. I think pure drivers are NOT fanboys , and when they see greatness, even in a car they never cared for, they respect it, and give it's props. By and large, that's what I see on this forum!

2nd, I am not as much of a driving purist as most of the guys on this forum. I simply wanted a fast convertible. There is no vehicle on the road that compares check box for check box with the ZL1 convertible.

3rd Exterior styling is subjective, but the interior is not even close. ZL1 is no Cadillac on the interior, but it looks much better than the GT350 as every mustang looks like cheap plastic on the interior
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
My buddy and I both bought 2017s last year. He bought a GT350, I bought the ZL1. He found his new GT350 for 3k under sticker by the way. The outside looks are "eye of the beholder", personally I think they both look great. The interior of the ZL1 is significantly better. Higher quality, better ergonomics. Visibility out of the GT350 is much better than the ZL1. The Gt350 stock to stock sounds way better than the ZL1. I prefer the GT350 seats (although the cooling is nice on the ZL1) for track use. On a race track with equal tires the ZL1 is way faster. The biggest problem with the GT350 is that the engine is a grenade ready to blow up. My buddy has already gotten a new engine after 3 track days. This is why Ford is not using the flat plane for the GT500.

All that said we both love ours cars and are happy with the choice made.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
My buddy and I both bought 2017s last year. He bought a GT350, I bought the ZL1. He found his new GT350 for 3k under sticker by the way. The outside looks are "eye of the beholder", personally I think they both look great. The interior of the ZL1 is significantly better. Higher quality, better ergonomics. Visibility out of the GT350 is much better than the ZL1. The Gt350 stock to stock sounds way better than the ZL1. I prefer the GT350 seats (although the cooling is nice on the ZL1) for track use. On a race track with equal tires the ZL1 is way faster. The biggest problem with the GT350 is that the engine is a grenade ready to blow up. My buddy has already gotten a new engine after 3 track days. This is why Ford is not using the flat plane for the GT500.

All that said we both love ours cars and are happy with the choice made.
I commend Ford for their experiment with a FPC, but they failed in longevity and they know it. Too bad, it could have been so much more. I feel that the GT350 will go away, never to return. And people that are left with them will be the ones that happen to get a good engine. The rest will just burn up. Then they can replace the motor with a CPC motor and be done with it.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
philpacs

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10
I was deciding between the two also. I'm happy I chose the Z. My goals were a daily driver and track car with as little as possible compromises. Personally I didn't want to row endless gears in traffic, so the A10 works awesomely for that and great on track too. The Z interior is a much nicer place to be, the instant torque is helpful in daily driving and easier to access smile inducing performance. I agree the Stang sounds better but in sport I like the Z's rumble but loud when you stand on it too. On the road course I've only had to put high temp brake fluid in and still push it hard. If you get either I'd track them or else your not even really experiencing the car. Both are great on track but to get the same level of performance in the Stang you'd need to upgrade the regular GT350 and I've heard about other issues. No regrets. If you don't track I'd save $ and get a performance pack GT and get the same straight line performance and still awesome sound.
philpacs is offline   Reply With Quote