Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #2759
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I went up there yesterday and they did not have the pricing for me. They said that they were told it would be today but then they got a call in the AM telling them that GM is holding off for another few weeks. So I went all the way over there for nothing. But they did say they could sell me an allocation for $5K. The $5K would be non-refundable but it would go towards the price of the Vette I decide on. So whatever the MSRP is, it will be $5K less once the allocation price is factored in. They said they already sold 5 of their allocations and would not be charging any markups even tho some people called them and were ready to pay $5K and $10K over. They also said that several dealership were charging markups already and idiots were paying them. Why do people have to be soo GD stupid? I digress. I told them that I did not feel comfortable buying an allocation just to find that it'll be more than what I want to spend once optioned the way I like. Plus I'm not sure if the Z51 option will be available on the 1LT or if you have to go up to the 2LT and then if you have to option in other things to add the Z51. And who knows if heated/cooled seats and other options I want will even be available with the Z51? All in all it could come out to being $90K which I'm not spending on anything less than a Z06. So they told me that they will contact me once they have some solid info. But as it is, I think I'm gonna hold off. With the C7 Stingrays, if I remember, the Z51 option with 3LT came out to around $80K. So I'm expecting a fully loaded C8 with Z51 to be in the same range if not $90K. I'll wait until I get more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Pricing is not being released by gm until middle of August. They may be yanking your chain.
Yea I think they were. They just wanted me to come up there and buy the allocation.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #2760
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I went up there yesterday and they did not have the pricing for me. They said that they were told it would be today but then they got a call in the AM telling them that GM is holding off for another few weeks. So I went all the way over there for nothing. But they did say they could sell me an allocation for $5K. The $5K would be non-refundable but it would go towards the price of the Vette I decide on. So whatever the MSRP is, it will be $5K less once the allocation price is factored in. They said they already sold 5 of their allocations and would not be charging any markups even tho some people called them and were ready to pay $5K and $10K over. They also said that several dealership were charging markups already and idiots were paying them. Why do people have to be soo GD stupid? I digress. I told them that I did not feel comfortable buying an allocation just to find that it'll be more than what I want to spend once optioned the way I like. Plus I'm not sure if the Z51 option will be available on the 1LT or if you have to go up to the 2LT and then if you have to option in other things to add the Z51. And who knows if heated/cooled seats and other options I want will even be available with the Z51? All in all it could come out to being $90K which I'm not spending on anything less than a Z06. So they told me that they will contact me once they have some solid info. But as it is, I think I'm gonna hold off. With the C7 Stingrays, if I remember, the Z51 option with 3LT came out to around $80K. So I'm expecting a fully loaded C8 with Z51 to be in the same range if not $90K. I'll wait until I get more details.

Yea I think they were. They just wanted me to come up there and buy the allocation.
I printed out the info the details what option packages are available on which trims. No pricing, of course.
  • Z51 is available on all Stingray trims, 1LT, 2LT, and 3LT
  • Heated and vented seats are NOT available on 1LT. Available on 2LT and included in 3LT

Some of the things NOT included in 1LT might be a deal breaker for some, me being one. I would have to go at least 2LT, maybe 3LT. Theft deterrent system, HomeLink, Wireless charging for phones, heated mirrors, Side Blind Zone Alert and Cross Traffic Alert, HUD, front curb view camera, rear camera mirror. Not only are they not included in the base car, but you cannot even order them in a 1LT. Most of it is included in 2LT and all of it is included in 3LT
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #2761
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
I love it when a dealer says "non refundable deposit" lol makes me want to put one down just to get it back
Old 07-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #2762
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I printed out the info the details what option packages are available on which trims. No pricing, of course.
  • Z51 is available on all Stingray trims, 1LT, 2LT, and 3LT
  • Heated and vented seats are NOT available on 1LT. Available on 2LT and included in 3LT

Some of the things NOT included in 1LT might be a deal breaker for some, me being one. I would have to go at least 2LT, maybe 3LT. Theft deterrent system, HomeLink, Wireless charging for phones, heated mirrors, Side Blind Zone Alert and Cross Traffic Alert, HUD, front curb view camera, rear camera mirror. Not only are they not included in the base car, but you cannot even order them in a 1LT. Most of it is included in 2LT and all of it is included in 3LT
Good to know. Thanks. I was talking to a friend of mine who is more of a car guy than I am...and knows a hell of a lot more than I do. I told him that I gotta have a Vette with options. He replied that even a base model 1LT will still be a beast and is well worth the $60K. He also said he'd rather have a base 1LT than a Hellcat just because of the mid/rear engine design. So I'm really thinking about it. Or, re-thinking about it. I have time to decide what I wanna do. Even if I do not get an allocation I am sure there will be plenty C8s popping up. I didn't have an allocation on my ZL1 and I ended up getting one before several people who had ordered it months before I got mine. So I'm sure there will be some to grab up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I love it when a dealer says "non refundable deposit" lol makes me want to put one down just to get it back
It definitely was annoying to hear that. But the way they explained it was that it isn't a "deposit". I'm buying the allocation which will be used towards the MSRP. As such, the allocation is not refundable. The thing is that I am 6'2" and 230-250 pounds give or take depending on when Burger King sends me those damn coupons. So I can't see myself putting money down on a car like a Vette that I haven't sat in yet. The C6s were too tight for me. The C7s were tight be doable. So I need to sit in a C8 to see how I fit before I put any money towards it.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #2763
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

I love how this changed from GT500 VS ZL1 to C8 talk, lol!!

Anyway, the Z51 package is the one that will do 0-60 under 3 seconds. I assume that is for the 1LT as the 2LT and 3LT will be heavier due to having more options as standard and therefore will be slightly slower. The non-Z51 should come in at less than 4 seconds 0-60 I would assume. Which is still nothing to scoff at. The A10 ZL1 did 3.4 0-60 and that is very fast. And the handling even on the base non-Z51 should be very impressive. I gotta ask, all things considered, how many of you would get a bare bones C8 instead of keeping a Hellcat?
Old 07-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #2764
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Well, the GT500 had its thunder stolen in general, so it stands to reason the thread would get jacked too.

Quote:
Anyway, the Z51 package is the one that will do 0-60 under 3 seconds. I assume that is for the 1LT as the 2LT and 3LT will be heavier due to having more options as standard and therefore will be slightly slower. The non-Z51 should come in at less than 4 seconds 0-60 I would assume. Which is still nothing to scoff at. The A10 ZL1 did 3.4 0-60 and that is very fast. And the handling even on the base non-Z51 should be very impressive.
I'm really not bothered by a tenth or two to 60 either way. It's not a drag car, so as long as I'm not getting gapped by stock Audi RS3s and the like, I really don't care. It'll be quick off the line and through about 1/4 mile anyway, thanks to traction and the DCT. We'll have to wait a year or two for the FI model to get serious about straight line prowess.

Quote:
I gotta ask, all things considered, how many of you would get a bare bones C8 instead of keeping a Hellcat?
I plan on getting rid of the ZL1 for the C8 (2LT w/Z51 and MRC for me).

I think if I had a ZL1 and a Hellcat, and was getting a C8 to replace one, I'd probably keep the Hellcat. You've got a lot more room in the Hellcat, and it's a better cruiser than the ZL1, with better noise.

When you want to take the twisty back roads, the C8 will be sublime, so you'll really have the best of both worlds.

Not sure if Mr. Martin already supplied you with this, but maybe this will help you decide what options you want:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2020 Stingray Online Order guide.pdf (326.2 KB, 265 views)
File Type: pdf C8 playbook_071619.pdf (5.51 MB, 114 views)

Last edited by Dethsupp0rt; 07-28-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #2765
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:

Anyway, the Z51 package is the one that will do 0-60 under 3 seconds. I assume that is for the 1LT as the 2LT and 3LT will be heavier due to having more options as standard and therefore will be slightly slower. The non-Z51 should come in at less than 4 seconds 0-60 I would assume. Which is still nothing to scoff at. The A10 ZL1 did 3.4 0-60 and that is very fast. And the handling even on the base non-Z51 should be very impressive. I gotta ask, all things considered, how many of you would get a bare bones C8 instead of keeping a Hellcat?
I would get (will get) a C8 over a Hellcat without even thinking about it. The 1LT will be nicely optioned. Maybe not as nice as a Hellcat but nice enough for me. Probably between a 1 and 2 SS. No heated or vented seats but I can live without that.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #2766
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Well, the GT500 had its thunder stolen in general, so it stands to reason the thread would get jacked too.

I'm really not bothered by a tenth or two to 60 either way. It's not a drag car, so as long as I'm not getting gapped by stock Audi RS3s and the like, I really don't care. It'll be quick off the line and through about 1/4 mile anyway, thanks to traction and the DCT. We'll have to wait a year or two for the FI model to get serious about straight line prowess.

I plan on getting rid of the ZL1 for the C8 (2LT w/Z51 and MRC for me).

I think if I had a ZL1 and a Hellcat, and was getting a C8 to replace one, I'd probably keep the Hellcat. You've got a lot more room in the Hellcat, and it's a better cruiser than the ZL1, with better noise.

When you want to take the twisty back roads, the C8 will be sublime, so you'll really have the best of both worlds.

Not sure if Mr. Martin already supplied you with this, but maybe this will help you decide what options you want:
Thanks DS! Those color options!! My goodness!!

And yea I think trading the ZL1 for a C8 is good because I'll keep the best of both worlds. A cornering car and a straight line car! And the Hellcat takes to mods much better. Tune and pulley and I'll be making 750+ to the wheels on 93 octane...for like $4K too!! But then again, how badass would it look to have the ultimate Camaro AND a C8 Vette??!! Decisions decisions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
I would get (will get) a C8 over a Hellcat without even thinking about it. The 1LT will be nicely optioned. Maybe not as nice as a Hellcat but nice enough for me. Probably between a 1 and 2 SS. No heated or vented seats but I can live without that.
I feel like the ZL1 is a fair weather car but I do drive it even in the cold. As long as there is no snow on the ground. The Vette will NOT be driven in the cold or Winter so I will not have need for heated seats/steering anyway. Cooled seats would be nice. The way I see it, if I get a base model and keep the price low then I would be upside down when the Z06 arrives if I should choose to switch over to that. I'm back and forth on the whole thing. I'm gonna need to sleep, eat, drink, pray, on it, lol!!
Old 07-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #2767
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I like Deth's idea of keeping the Hellcat and selling the ZL1 for a C8, since the Hellcat is more comfortable and has a larger passenger and trunk space than the ZL1. You'd have your comfy GT cruiser with tons of power, and your "true" sports car (I know the ZL1 is essentially a "sports" car, but, semantics). Anyway...

For me, personally from a package standpoint, I like options and safety tech. That was a big selling point for me with the Mustang GT Premium and safe and smart package. My Mustang has heated and cooled seats, and I love them. Never realized how much I'd like that feature until I had it. If ordering a C8, I would get a 2LT package at minimum (would want the 3LT but that would depend on cost), and probably with the Z51 package. I would prefer a C8 over a Hellcat (and ZL1 and GT500 at similar price ranges) if I had to choose between the two.

I am surprised the 3LT doesn't have all the latest safety tech, including auto braking/collision warning, lane keep alert/assist, and adaptive cruise control or auto high beams. I didn't notice those as even options on the 3LT package but could have missed it in my scan of the options sheet. The auto braking/collision has proven to significantly reduce the number of crashes in cars with the tech. (by around 50% give or take), and reduce injury when crashes do occur because the brakes are automatically applied before the human can react and apply the brakes.

495 hp and ~3,550 lbs is ~7.2 lbs/ hp ratio. Pretty good by historical standards. That's like having 620 hp in your 4,450 lbs Hellcat. The torque rating is pretty darn good for an N/A engine (470 ft-lbs). I remember back in the 90s and early 2000s the LT1s and LS1s of that day making like around 340 ft-lbs and those were "torquey" engines. Now my Gen 3 5.0 Coyote makes 420 ft-lbs and is not that torquey compared to the current LT1 that makes 455 ft lbs. To be fair, the Gen 3 5.0 makes quite a bit more low and mid range torque than Gen 2 Coyotes for those that haven't driven an '18+ (and the 3.55 torsen rear diff on my PP1 w/ A10 really helps multiply the torque, too). Anyway, times have changed! It's great to be a car guy in today's day and age.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #2768
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I like Deth's idea of keeping the Hellcat and selling the ZL1 for a C8, since the Hellcat is more comfortable and has a larger passenger and trunk space than the ZL1. You'd have your comfy GT cruiser with tons of power, and your "true" sports car (I know the ZL1 is essentially a "sports" car, but, semantics). Anyway...

For me, personally from a package standpoint, I like options and safety tech. That was a big selling point for me with the Mustang GT Premium and safe and smart package. My Mustang has heated and cooled seats, and I love them. Never realized how much I'd like that feature until I had it. If ordering a C8, I would get a 2LT package at minimum (would want the 3LT but that would depend on cost), and probably with the Z51 package. I would prefer a C8 over a Hellcat (and ZL1 and GT500 at similar price ranges) if I had to choose between the two.

I am surprised the 3LT doesn't have all the latest safety tech, including auto braking/collision warning, lane keep alert/assist, and adaptive cruise control or auto high beams. I didn't notice those as even options on the 3LT package but could have missed it in my scan of the options sheet. The auto braking/collision has proven to significantly reduce the number of crashes in cars with the tech. (by around 50% give or take), and reduce injury when crashes do occur because the brakes are automatically applied before the human can react and apply the brakes.

495 hp and ~3,550 lbs is ~7.2 lbs/ hp ratio. Pretty good by historical standards. That's like having 620 hp in your 4,450 lbs Hellcat. The torque rating is pretty darn good for an N/A engine (470 ft-lbs). I remember back in the 90s and early 2000s the LT1s and LS1s of that day making like around 340 ft-lbs and those were "torquey" engines. Now my Gen 3 5.0 Coyote makes 420 ft-lbs and is not that torquey compared to the current LT1 that makes 455 ft lbs. To be fair, the Gen 3 5.0 makes quite a bit more low and mid range torque than Gen 2 Coyotes for those that haven't driven an '18+ (and the 3.55 torsen rear diff on my PP1 w/ A10 really helps multiply the torque, too). Anyway, times have changed! It's great to be a car guy in today's day and age.
They probably left out some of those features to keep costs and weight down. If it strikes at $59,999.99, it still would be under $60K but all those extra features would have pushed it over. They could have kept them as options for the 2LT and 3LT, but then maybe it would have pushed them higher than their target pricing limit (or whatever it's called) for the market. I don't think a lot of those features are necessary tho. Corvette owners are a different breed than Camaro and Mustang owners...even Bullitt, ZL1 GT350, GT500 Mustang and Camaro guys. Maybe they'll include them on the Z06s tho. You never know.

It will be a long hard decision on which car to part with. The Hellcat is a lease which is up in July so the easiest thing would be to turn it in. The ZL1 will have a lot of equity by then so I could do a trade in and that equity could go to the down payment. Or I could trade in the ZL1, turn in the Hellcat lease, grab a Base C8, and then picr car at some point to go along with it. Maybe a Trackhawk or something.

Anyway another thing that came to mind is the cost of modding these things. I'm assuming that with this design labor for things like a supercharger, turbo, cam will be thru the roof. I'd bet that the entire rear of the car would have to be disassembled or the engine would have to be dropped out to do a blower. That is unless there is some way to take the car apart from the top. And I'm assuming that any maintenance such as aftermarket supercharger belt replacements or spark plugs or injectors would also be labor intensive. The parts alone will be expensive. And then the manufacturers will have to worry about fitment and other issues even more so than with the current vehicles. I can see modding these cars being an expensive nightmare. Maybe when the Z06 comes out some of the companies can copy the supercharger design somewhat. But it still won't be cheap. Something to think about for those who might want a 1LT/2LT/3LT and figure they'll boost it at some point down the road. Could you imagine a belt snapping on one of those on a highway??
Old 07-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #2769
Dethsupp0rt

Quote:
Anyway another thing that came to mind is the cost of modding these things.
Yeah, I don't think modding the base model will be wise at all actually. With the E99 ECU (same as the ZR1), and the new electrical system, it's going to be really expensive to add FI to a base car . . . if you'll even be able to do it at all.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #2770
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Good to know. Thanks. I was talking to a friend of mine who is more of a car guy than I am...and knows a hell of a lot more than I do. I told him that I gotta have a Vette with options. He replied that even a base model 1LT will still be a beast and is well worth the $60K. He also said he'd rather have a base 1LT than a Hellcat just because of the mid/rear engine design. So I'm really thinking about it. Or, re-thinking about it. I have time to decide what I wanna do. Even if I do not get an allocation I am sure there will be plenty C8s popping up. I didn't have an allocation on my ZL1 and I ended up getting one before several people who had ordered it months before I got mine. So I'm sure there will be some to grab up.

It definitely was annoying to hear that. But the way they explained it was that it isn't a "deposit". I'm buying the allocation which will be used towards the MSRP. As such, the allocation is not refundable. The thing is that I am 6'2" and 230-250 pounds give or take depending on when Burger King sends me those damn coupons. So I can't see myself putting money down on a car like a Vette that I haven't sat in yet. The C6s were too tight for me. The C7s were tight be doable. So I need to sit in a C8 to see how I fit before I put any money towards it.
They might not be popping up as soon as you think. I’d be patient anyway and let others sort out the bugs.

Quote:
2020 Chevy Corvette C8 is 'nearly sold out'

GM design chief pops the news at the Concours d'Elegance while showing the C8

PLYMOUTH, Mich. — The 2020 Chevy Corvette is just about booked up for the first year’s production run. Michael Simcoe, GM design chief, said as much at the Concours d’Elegance of America, as a gleaming C8 sat on the lawn.

“I think the orders have already hit the first year of production numbers,” Simcoe said when addressing the attentive, large crowd at the golf course. We pulled him aside afterwards, and asked Simcoe to elaborate. Turns out, the C8 is extremely close to being sold out for the 2020 model year, but it hasn’t officially hit the mark yet. “It’s nearly sold out. It’s so close that it’s bound to be sold out soon,” Simcoe told us.

What Simcoe wouldn’t elaborate on were production numbers. Chevy has been allowing folks to reserve a 2020 Corvette via an online registration process, and it was also something folks could do right on the Concours grounds today. We don’t know how many Corvettes Chevy plans on selling for the C8’s first year of production. Therefore, we also don’t know how many reservations have been placed thus far. Corvette sales numbers have bounced around a lot throughout history, but it’s surpassed 30,000 sales in many of the better years the model has been around. It’s unclear at this point if Chevy is targeting high sales numbers like that in the first year of the mid-engine car.

We do know one thing, though. Time is running short to be one of the first mid-engine Corvette owners.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/28/...arly-sold-out/

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #2771
Dethsupp0rt

Quote:
The thing is that I am 6'2" and 230-250 pounds give or take depending on when Burger King sends me those damn coupons. So I can't see myself putting money down on a car like a Vette that I haven't sat in yet. The C6s were too tight for me. The C7s were tight be doable. So I need to sit in a C8 to see how I fit before I put any money towards it.
The C8 is pretty big, in comparison. There's a guy on the Corvette forum (half the people are morons over there, I can't recommend it) who's 6'4" 285 and said he fit "no problem".

Everyone is built different though, so maybe just start having a diet coke with that BK.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:30 AM   #2772
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
The C8 is pretty big, in comparison. There's a guy on the Corvette forum (half the people are morons over there, I can't recommend it) who's 6'4" 285 and said he fit "no problem".

Everyone is built different though, so maybe just start having a diet coke with that BK.
Lethal Camaro is 6'5 and he say thet he Fits fine in the C8, with enough headroom to use a Helmet and his knees doesn't touch the Dashboard
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote