#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #71
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I've seen this with an STi at a Subie dealer. A couple thousand miles and destroyed tires, looked dirty and abused.

While there are low mileage sports cars available it's a gamble to buy one and assume the previous owner took care of the car. For some cars you can save a lot of cash, but I've seen many used SS 1LEs advertised for near the same as I paid new. I could talk ;em down a few grand maybe but for a few grand I'd take the brand new car every time.
I 2nd that motion. I have only bought new since my first one in 1980. Maybe if I knew the person and they bought it new, maybe.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #72
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
Wait! Neither user manual nor track prep guide state that you need to do "pre-track" inspection and oil change for each track day, right?

I am switching from M3 to ZL1, and I am kind of hoping I can do less work to take it to track than my M3.
Just for an FYI for Track Prep. I am sure it has been posted here somewhere, but this was faster.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2017-chevrolet-camaro-race-track-preparation-guide.pdf (153.6 KB, 85 views)

Past Rides
Old 10-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #73
PorkchopExpress

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Just for an FYI for Track Prep. I am sure it has been posted here somewhere, but this was faster.
Yup, that's it. There were a few changes that affected the Corvette for 2018, and the addition of the new oil, but otherwise the same.

I think it's been mentioned by others on this forum that it seems to depend on the dealership that you take your car to. My dealership was very serious about having a pre and post checkup after tracking the car. To the point of building special "track packs" because so many people were bringing their ZL1's to have the work done. Prior to having the maintenance done, I was asked a few times whether I had ever tracked the car previously.

I did not specifically ask whether or not the warranty would be impacted by not bringing it back after my tracking event, but had assumed this was the case by our conversation(s). They also wanted to use the different oils pre and post maintenance despite the change to 0w-40 for the non-ZL1 1LE, which also seemed to be different between dealerships.
PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #74
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Interesting that people dump these cars after just a few short miles. I daily mine and have 14k miles on it. I find that it makes a great highway car, with ample power to get into any traffic hole. The ride is smoother than my Jag F-Type V8s convertible and the ZL1 is quieter inside (probably because of the soft top on the Jag). I really enjoy the ZL1 and think that the only time it makes for a poor vehicle is when there is pooling water on the road. It hydroplanes like a mother F - granted I am still on the stock original tires (still plenty of life left in them).

That said, I am already looking around at my next car - I tend not to keep cars for much more than 2 years. I probably will move to a 4 door vehicle. Tesla PxxD? - maybe.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #75
Stanimal

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Thank you. Been looking for that.
Stanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #76
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Let me chime in as to why I sold mine. I had it for 17 months. Loved it. Fast as hell on the track depending on the configuration. Great for tracks with a couple of long straights. Not too good on technical tracks with shorter straights. This is where you feel the mass.

I eventually wanted one car that suits all the nearby tracks so I had an opportunity (wife’s approval) and pulled the trigger on a GT3RS. Now I’m a happy guy.

I will miss the following: low end torque and ventilated seats for hot summer days.
Will not miss: having to gas up after 2 sessions.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #77
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmueller View Post
Interesting that people dump these cars after just a few short miles. I daily mine and have 14k miles on it. I find that it makes a great highway car, with ample power to get into any traffic hole. The ride is smoother than my Jag F-Type V8s convertible and the ZL1 is quieter inside (probably because of the soft top on the Jag). I really enjoy the ZL1 and think that the only time it makes for a poor vehicle is when there is pooling water on the road. It hydroplanes like a mother F - granted I am still on the stock original tires (still plenty of life left in them).

That said, I am already looking around at my next car - I tend not to keep cars for much more than 2 years. I probably will move to a 4 door vehicle. Tesla PxxD? - maybe.
I'd daily mine if the weather was good here more than 6 months out of the year. I daily'd the M3 with Blizzaks in the winter, but I think it's just too much of a compromise with the ZL1. Thus, I'm at about 7,500 miles after about 1.5 years of ownership.

I'm actually thinking of replacing the tires next spring for something more rain-friendly, but I might just ride these out another year, as I'm kind of the same way . . . 2-3 years and I like to move to something else.

If I had to switch today, I'd go back to BMW and get the new M5. Since I don't have to switch today, I'm waiting to see what the C8 brings.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #78
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
I'd daily mine if the weather was good here more than 6 months out of the year. I daily'd the M3 with Blizzaks in the winter, but I think it's just too much of a compromise with the ZL1. Thus, I'm at about 7,500 miles after about 1.5 years of ownership.

I'm actually thinking of replacing the tires next spring for something more rain-friendly, but I might just ride these out another year, as I'm kind of the same way . . . 2-3 years and I like to move to something else.

If I had to switch today, I'd go back to BMW and get the new M5. Since I don't have to switch today, I'm waiting to see what the C8 brings.
Buying the C8 would be amazing and having a rear engine platform. I am sure I will not buy one. When they first come out they will be so expensive with dealer markup probably.

I don't think anything will be able to touch the C8 that is built in America, not even the Ford GT. Bold statement I know, but what I have seen so far on one C8 that was running with the GT...Mmmmm it will be interesting.

Past Rides
Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #79
MaskedRacerX

Drives: Now: GT/PP Vert, Future: ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Interesting that people dump these cars after just a few short miles.
I think this is one of those types of cars that causes a bit of irrational response from people: it looks great, it's fast/powerful and most of all, it's attainable by mere mortals.

... but then I think the reality sets in, and one (or more) of the following hit the new owner and kind of bring on a "Oh shit, bad choice, this won't work":
  • a little too much in terms of price (I saw lots of GT-Rs in the early days get bought and sold in weeks/months, sub 2K miles)
  • high costs outside of the original purchase (gas, insurance)
  • usability issues (space, storage/hauling, not "all season", lifestyle changes*)

I think in regards to 1 and 2 in the list, there's some buyers who don't differentiate can I buy this vs. can I really _afford_ this.

I'm sure there's a few folks too who just buy to own for a few months, with no intention of long term ownership, I picked up an S2K back when, the original owner literally bought it to drive from spring through to winter and then planned to sell it (at least that was the story).

* When I sold my Z06, the guy who bought it re-sold it 30 days later because of a new addition to his family (that sounded pretty much unplanned!)
MaskedRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #80
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Buying the C8 would be amazing and having a rear engine platform. I am sure I will not buy one. When they first come out they will be so expensive with dealer markup probably.

I don't think anything will be able to touch the C8 that is built in America, not even the Ford GT. Bold statement I know, but what I have seen so far on one C8 that was running with the GT...Mmmmm it will be interesting.
Markup shouldn't a be a problem. These aren't going to be rare, and there are numerous Corvette dealers that have a "no-markup" policy. You can still get a ZR1 allocation at MSRP if you look around.

If the base model is ~500HP, I'll gladly "settle" for one of those until the higher-end models come out. Whether I'll be able to afford those or not, who knows (probably not).

I figure ~500HP with mid-engine will pretty much smoke the ZL1, and be about on par with the current Z06.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #81
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacerX View Post

* When I sold my Z06, the guy who bought it re-sold it 30 days later because of a new addition to his family (that sounded pretty much unplanned!)
That was a quick pregnancy. You don't need four seats when the baby is still inside the womb (what I plan on telling my wife soon).
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #82
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Markup shouldn't a be a problem. These aren't going to be rare, and there are numerous Corvette dealers that have a "no-markup" policy. You can still get a ZR1 allocation at MSRP if you look around.

If the base model is ~500HP, I'll gladly "settle" for one of those until the higher-end models come out. Whether I'll be able to afford those or not, who knows (probably not).

I figure ~500HP with mid-engine will pretty much smoke the ZL1, and be about on par with the current Z06.
With the rear engine platform, the exhaust pipes will be a lot less weight by sheer length. It will take the aftermarket awhile to catch up.

Past Rides
Old 10-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #83
MaskedRacerX

Drives: Now: GT/PP Vert, Future: ZL1 Vert
Quote:
That was a quick pregnancy. You don't need four seats when the baby is still inside the womb (what I plan on telling my wife soon).
Hahaha, I said the exact same thing when I talked to him (he reached out me and asked if I had contact info for other people who had expressed interest).

I think she was like 2-3 weeks in and hadn't said anything, and then kind of freaked out when he bought a car kind of out of the blue. I guess she wanted immediate funds for a "family ride" and other expensenses - it didn't sound like there was any planning between the two of them expect for him _planning_ to supercharge my Z06

My wife told me to buy anything I want pre-during-post baby, we always have a second ride / family vehicle and she knows that's my fun and she's kind of into it. Her new family ride is a Durango RT AWD, Redline exterior, blacktop package, loaded, semi-hot-rod SUV

In fact she said, "Instead of doing something like spending $10K on your GT, just get something faster, that aftermarket stuff seems like it's always a pain in the ass" ... OK, will do
MaskedRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #84
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I'm glad i found this thread, I absolutely love my ZLE, there have been time though that I thought maybe I should just sell it. I now have 4 project cars and with a full time career I barely have enough time to work on them and enjoy them as it is. My 1Le sits under a car cover most of the time and seems to be a waste of money to have a car that i don't get to drive often. However, I know the minute i sell it i would instantly regret it.

Somewhat related: I remember years ago I briefly owned a fox body mustang, I'm not a ford guy but the deal was really good and i couldn't pass it up. The guy i bought it from had a fully built motor and it was making somewhere in the high 500 hp range. His reason he said he was selling it was that it scared him too much to drive it.

That was the first time I realized that for some people there is such a thing as too much HP.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote