Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #29
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Reading and owning are two different things bud. Going on three years with two of them in the garage. As stated above it's a matter of getting a fluid change if needed, so far only the Z71 and that's been almost a year since it was done, no issues since.

Agreed. I have owned mine for three years. Problem arose, I immediately got the flush, and have been problem free since. It occurred about 2500 miles into driving it, and that was in 2018. Everyone can make their own choices on it, but I’m cruising and happy. 🤷🏻*♂️😎👍🏻
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:46 PM   #30
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I have a '17 with an A8.
48k miles and counting, no shudder.
I did do a fluid change a couple of thousand miles ago (with the new HP LV fluid, blue label).
So far so good.

Any by the way, it can be a DIY job for anyone who has ever changed their own engine oil.
It is not all that different or difficult.

But as others have said, if mine had been shuddering I might be singing a completely different tune.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #31
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
Quote:
Agreed.... Some people here go overboard and run around that the sky is falling and want to discard 3 years' worth of cars for a simple trans flush..
Lots of TN guys in the thread

I bought mine from Chuck Hutton and it had 14K on it. I assume the shutter is why the guy traded it in. I didn't feel it for the first thousand miles or so. Not being aware of the shutter as I was a 5th gen guy prior, I just didn't notice it. As I read the forums I started seeing people talk about out it... thats when I noticed it. I went back and looked at the service records and it did say they did a trans flush, but the details weren't there. Knowing the flush was already done, I immediately brought that to the service guys attention. Next step was to replace it according to GM at the time. This was a CPO car so I think they went straight to that fix. This is pretty much my daily driver as I drive it every chance I can, except when the weather is bad, but I have a truck too. I'm close to 36K now I think.
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #32
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by custommx3 View Post
Lots of TN guys in the thread

I bought mine from Chuck Hutton and it had 14K on it. I assume the shutter is why the guy traded it in. I didn't feel it for the first thousand miles or so. Not being aware of the shutter as I was a 5th gen guy prior, I just didn't notice it. As I read the forums I started seeing people talk about out it... thats when I noticed it. I went back and looked at the service records and it did say they did a trans flush, but the details weren't there. Knowing the flush was already done, I immediately brought that to the service guys attention. Next step was to replace it according to GM at the time. This was a CPO car so I think they went straight to that fix. This is pretty much my daily driver as I drive it every chance I can, except when the weather is bad, but I have a truck too. I'm close to 36K now I think.
I know Kerry Melson that is over sales at Chuck Hutton. I ordered both the SS and the Colorado Z71 from Chuck Hutton.

Hope to meet you at a Cruz-in or car show this spring.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #33
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Reading and owning are two different things bud. Going on three years with two of them in the garage. As stated above it's a matter of getting a fluid change if needed, so far only the Z71 and that's been almost a year since it was done, no issues since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-2A View Post
Maybe, but I'd say the same thing if I owned an A8.
So those that don't own one but simply read a couple forum posts and watched a few youtube videos are more credible, I get it

Well, actually I think I see where you are coming from, everyone has to battle with the desire to self-justify. ZL1, 1LE, A10, SS, no difference, people just want to feel better about their choice over others'... and you're probably thinking we are simply rationalizing because we made the wrong one in the first place.

I'll be honest here, I'm definitely not happy that GM screwed up with this transmission, but I also look forward and to the solution that is now available, rather than be controlled by fear. There is no perfect car, engine, transmission, diff, paint job, suspension, tire, electronics, etc., all have some issues that are either overlooked or addressed if they're a safety concern or hindering the experience.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #34
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
2017 SS A8 bought it used with 11,000 miles on it.
The shudder showed up at 21,000 and had the flush done and this was before the new fluid release 1 year ago Jan.
Had the new flush done with the new fluid even though it did not have the shudder at 38,000 miles.
48,000 and no problems what so ever.
dmcmahan60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:45 AM   #35
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
A8 and 6000 miles so far. No issues at all. In fact I love the A8! Eight speeds are more than enough for me!
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #36
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Different stories for everyone. When I was getting my 2017 serviced and dropped it off a guy with a C7 was in the waiting room. I was casually chatting with him and told him about the shudder and he was absolutely clueless. I'll bet if his car did it, he would not even know it, lol.

My 2017 was very bad from day 1. I first noticed the transmission slipping and the tach fluctuating in 8th gear. I never in my life saw a tach fluctuate up and down about 200 RPM while in high gear going steady speed. I remember posting on the forum about it and no one else seemed to experience that same issue. It was not long after the shudder started- and it was so bad- the whole car would shake and vibrate. The dealer did the first flush- it did nothing. Then they gave me a real hard time getting it in to look at it again...SM said "get in line, there are so many ahead of you with the same issue- call back in a month". It was horrible- I end up trading in the car.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #37
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
The real question, in the big picture, is do you want an automatic or manual? I had a Gen 5 M6 and a 17 1SS Gen 6 M6 and swapped that out for an A8 17 2SS. Same story: I had the vibration and after two flushes the dealer swapped out the TQ. I love, LOVE this transmission! It shifts like lightning and has no throttle lag or dead spots like most of the M6's have. The car is so much faster, very intuitive, "feels" better with more of its own personality. Contrary to popular belief, you actually have more control of the car because two hands on the wheel are always better than one taken off for shifting...just saying.
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #38
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post
The car is so much faster, very intuitive, "feels" better with more of its own personality....just saying.
I believe all this. Probably would have gone with the A8 were it not for the $2000 price differential. I bought before all the "shudder" problems started being reported. Certainly that would factor in if I were buying now.
In retrospect glad I went with the M6. This is a great car for a manual, and it's always the first thing people comment on when they see inside the car.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #39
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I'll be honest here, I'm definitely not happy that GM screwed up with this transmission, but I also look forward and to the solution that is now available, rather than be controlled by fear. There is no perfect car, engine, transmission, diff, paint job, suspension, tire, electronics, etc., all have some issues that are either overlooked or addressed if they're a safety concern or hindering the experience.
Yes and no. I wouldn't refer to it as being controlled by fear but trying to make an educated decision about a purchase. It simply comes down to this for the OP... does my desire to have the A8 trump the known issues that it "may" have? For me personally, it does not. Why would I willingly buy something that is known to have issues? The risk doesn't outweigh the reward. Also, it's a known fact that this issue has impacted the value of all Camaros that have the A8. So, if you buy one and try to unload it because it does have all manner of issues, that process will be harder due to the loss in value and the perception that the A8 is junk. I'm not saying that it is junk but it's perception in the market place that matters. For example, when I bought my Camaro I was trying to decide between several different models. I drove and loved the Mustang GT with the GT Performance Package. But, I read about all of the issues that they were having with the Coyote engine. When I pressed the dealership about it they had their Service Manager speak to me. When he confirmed that there were issues, that's all I needed to hear. I wasn't buying a new car that I "could" have major engine issues with no matter how impressive the car was. Now, I could've bought one and never had an issue with it but, at that money, I wasn't willing to take that chance.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I agree that there's no perfect anything. The difference, to me, is knowing that there's an issue and buying anyway.

Peace & Progress
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #40
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
If you are buying from a GM dealer you can ask to see the service records, I did. You can also make the "transmission triple flush" part of the deal to purchase.

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #41
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
Yes and no. I wouldn't refer to it as being controlled by fear but trying to make an educated decision about a purchase. It simply comes down to this for the OP... does my desire to have the A8 trump the known issues that it "may" have? For me personally, it does not. Why would I willingly buy something that is known to have issues? The risk doesn't outweigh the reward. Also, it's a known fact that this issue has impacted the value of all Camaros that have the A8. So, if you buy one and try to unload it because it does have all manner of issues, that process will be harder due to the loss in value and the perception that the A8 is junk. I'm not saying that it is junk but it's perception in the market place that matters. For example, when I bought my Camaro I was trying to decide between several different models. I drove and loved the Mustang GT with the GT Performance Package. But, I read about all of the issues that they were having with the Coyote engine. When I pressed the dealership about it they had their Service Manager speak to me. When he confirmed that there were issues, that's all I needed to hear. I wasn't buying a new car that I "could" have major engine issues with no matter how impressive the car was. Now, I could've bought one and never had an issue with it but, at that money, I wasn't willing to take that chance.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I agree that there's no perfect anything. The difference, to me, is knowing that there's an issue and buying anyway.

Peace & Progress
Fair enough, all good points, and if I was about to buy a Camaro today, I'd be very hard pressed to choose the "best" one.

The thing is, knowing about every issue with each car pretty much reduces the risk-free or very low risk selection to a couple Toyotas and maybe Hondas, plus there is the echo chamber/amplification effect that accompanies electronic communication, especially public forums. Even the ZL1 has issues like the oil pump failure that may deter a risk-averse buyer.

What I'm sorely missing in this whole situation is the genuine and honest assumption of responsibility by the manufacturer, which, coupled with a stable fix, would easily counterbalance risk to a large extent. Heck, they don't even care about the reputation loss that such "junk" perceptions induce (and then translate to lower sales). Yes, I know I'm an idealist.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #42
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgenSix View Post
I can't recommend the A8. Seems like it just becomes a bigger headache as time goes on. I traded mine in and went back to a M6.
I did the same. Traded a 16 SS A8 for a new 18 SS M6.

I had the torque converter replaced in August 2017 and lost confidence after the first “fix” fluid started failing in 2017s built new with it.

The problems, and Camaro6 treads, continued to ramp up in 2018 so I felt the long term value of A8s would be affected.

BTW ...I loved the A8 otherwise!

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote