Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 01-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
Ezell

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS convertible
Convertible top noise or something else?

2017 convertible RS with 11,000 miles on it. Dealership replaced the two mechanisms that control the two panels that pop out on each side when top is down due to failure of one of them approx 2 months ago.
Since that time I have developed a noise coming from the rear that sounds like heavy clunking, like bowling balls are rolling around, when top is up. I assumed it was a sway bar, brake shoe, torquing, rear arm or any of the other issues I have read on here UNTIL a new noise started with it which can only be described as sounding like the entire top is coming loose in the rear. All kinds of squeaking, rattling etc clearly coming from back of top around window. This new noise is intermittent but the clunking in constant. Most noticeable when turning the car, over bumps, etc.
When I put the top down and drive very slowly in a quiet area there is no longer ANY noise to be heard. Not the initial clunking or the other. As soon as the top is back up, it’s all back, so now I’m wondering if the initial clunking was the top all along. Not sure if they had to remove the top to replace the two mechanisms that control the pop up panels and it wasn’t re-I stalled currently?
Any thoughts? Thank you in advance. I want to be armed with as much info as possible before heading to dealership. (FYI: I also have the front windshield fogging issue. Dealership reformed TSB to repair and it’s worse. I have zero confidence now in any issue getting fixed, which is why I’m gathering info on this beforehand).
I apologize for the lengthy post.
Ezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Replacing the side panels with the sliding covers is a quick job that does not require removing any portion of the top mechanism. The panels are molded plastic, as are the sliding covers which open by the movement of the top, and close back up via a coiled spring (like a tape measure). There is nothing there with enough mass to create the sound you are describing. Something else must be loose.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Ezell

Thank you for responding.

Would that still be the case if they replaced the regulators also? I just pulled the paperwork out from the repair and they replaced the panels and regulators.

Sorry if I sound ignorant of this, I’m a woman with no mechanical inclinations lol
Old 01-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
The regulators (motors) they replaced are for the rear windows. There was nothing wrong with them, but the fix for the defective sliding covers was to redesign the parts with an extra clip to make it stronger. The new clip in the panel snaps into a new slot located the redesigned window regulator.

Maybe the rear window assembly is loose and flopping around when the window is down. Try this: with the top down, raise the rear windows and see if one is loose. Or ride around with the top down and the rear windows up and see if the noise changes.

And I don't know what your being a woman has to do with your lack of mechanical inclinations. I know plenty of men with the same affliction.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
Ezell

I will try that. Thank you!

And about the mechanical inclinations lol

Tags
clunking noise, convertible top, rattling from rear