#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
Looking into ordering one of these. I have a rotofab cold air intake coming tomorrow. I noticed some people need a tune when they pair both parts together, some don't. This is what mainly holds me back. I do not want to tune just yet.
RF, TB, Second cat delete, no CELs ever. Been running close to a month if not past it by a few days....
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #16
Shorty45

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1, M6
TB, RF and no issues with mine. I will say again that if you're a M6, I would highly recommend it. It is definitely very responsive. I didn't pay a lot of money for a spongy throttle to race with or to just drive around town cruising. I'm just happy that something exists to fix that problem. Thanks Tony! Great work and thanks for some numbers to back up what I felt.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 AM   #17
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Maybe a silly question but I had to pause when asked by a friend who read this thread, wouldn't large gains OUTSIDE of WOT reduce drivability, and move the TB closer to an on/off type situation? Wouldn't you want the big WOT gain, but not much of an increase during part throttle? Want more air....just go WOT. No?

Just playing devils advocate based on a discussion with a buddy. (I have one on order)
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:14 AM   #18
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
You shouldn't need a tune, although you might have to have him port one a bit conservatively as to not throw codes. Some people have issues, others don't . . . the ECU seems to be a bit finicky.
Im going to agree with this....although I would say the Corvettes are even more finicky than the ZL1's....bonus for you guys.

MOST folks I send my standard ported TB to have zero issues as you can see by some of the responses here and in the other thread related to my TB's, but there are a few exceptions.

If you absolutely don't want to deal with a code (which can be deleted and usually goes away on its own) just let me know up front and I will purposely port your unit a little more conservatively. You will still experience and enjoy the lion's share of the perks and gains from the swap but the chances of having an issue with throwing a code drops from 5-10% to 2% or so.....and that's a pretty good dice roll....LOL

Its a no brainer upgrade guys....you will wish there was something else this cheap that could have such a major impact on the performance and fun factor of the car.

Im doing my best to get caught up but the problem is Im busy in all aspects of my business now (heads, ported intakes, complete top half's and some engine building as well) so its challenging trying to keep everyone happy and keep lead times reasonable. Im about 3-4 weeks out on the TB's at this point....not to painful really but get on the list if you want to see something reasonably soon....I don't anticipate that lead time getting better....and it could slide the other way if things keep up at the pace they are.

For any of you located near the Santa Clarita valley in Southern CA and are looking for work let me know....Im willing to train the right guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Maybe a silly question but I had to pause when asked by a friend who read this thread, wouldn't large gains OUTSIDE of WOT reduce drivability, and move the TB closer to an on/off type situation? Wouldn't you want the big WOT gain, but not much of an increase during part throttle? Want more air....just go WOT. No?

Just playing devils advocate based on a discussion with a buddy. (I have one on order)
Mt ported TB is far from an on off switch....its just more responsive than the OEM TB which is dead for the first third of its travel and then it comes on like a light switch of sorts. My ported unit gives you a more responsive pedal but one that's also very linear.....it feels the way the car should have felt from the factory but the OEM TB's housing bore is sooo badly shaped you have to open it to 30% throttle to get any air moving. Plus the porting adds close to 100 CFM of extra air up top increasing performance and adding more torque and more peak power.

Hope this clarifies and explains a little better why its such a good move. Im curious, have you driven a stock unit yet? Assuming you have I'm surprised you aren't in tune with this lazy pedal and lag you get in the lower throttle positions although I have had guys that bought it cause their buddies raved about it and they admitted to me they didnt really think there was an issue but then emailed me back after getting and installing my TB and the light bulb went off let me tell you....LOL (and of course they were thrilled they decided to take the plunge).

-Tony
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #19
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Out of curiosity, what size (mm) are the factory TB?

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #20
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Tony, will the install of your TB have any effect on passing smog in CA? I'm not asking if it's CARB certified just whether it'll be noticed when they plug in?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #21
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Is it surprising to anyone else that GM left this much on the table with their TBs? Especially considering the "hours of research" they did on things like the spoilers. Or is this a pretty standard result.

Tony, curious if you would accept us sending our stock TB if you're on backorder, and send back to us?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #22
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Is it surprising to anyone else that GM left this much on the table with their TBs? Especially considering the "hours of research" they did on things like the spoilers. Or is this a pretty standard result.
Surprising? Not really. They likely had a power goal with the Z06, and the TB they've been using wasn't an impediment to that goal, so they used it.

The Camaro team likely had a budget, and obviously (and wisely) spent it on other areas.

According to Tony, there are a lot of airflow restrictions with the LT4. You should read his "rant" on the heads.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #23
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by soceur77 View Post
RF, TB, Second cat delete, no CELs ever. Been running close to a month if not past it by a few days....
this is good to hear. wonder if a 3inch catback can be used as substitute for cat delete without CEL
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #24
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Isn't miles driven more important than time since install when waiting to see if you code?

I may be off, but I thought the codes in this particular situation were based on a running self-test, and if the right conditions aren't met the test doesn't complete. Meaning you wouldn't get a code.

Maybe I'm thinking of something else? Just thought I'd bring it up since a few had mentioned having it on for X amount of months. Though if I'm right, small trips to/from the store over X amount of months wouldn't necessarily be the same as if you drove across town; which after all this time could finally throw the code?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #25
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo View Post
Im going to agree with this....although I would say the Corvettes are even more finicky than the ZL1's....bonus for you guys.

MOST folks I send my standard ported TB to have zero issues as you can see by some of the responses here and in the other thread related to my TB's, but there are a few exceptions.

If you absolutely don't want to deal with a code (which can be deleted and usually goes away on its own) just let me know up front and I will purposely port your unit a little more conservatively. You will still experience and enjoy the lion's share of the perks and gains from the swap but the chances of having an issue with throwing a code drops from 5-10% to 2% or so.....and that's a pretty good dice roll....LOL

Its a no brainer upgrade guys....you will wish there was something else this cheap that could have such a major impact on the performance and fun factor of the car.

Im doing my best to get caught up but the problem is Im busy in all aspects of my business now (heads, ported intakes, complete top half's and some engine building as well) so its challenging trying to keep everyone happy and keep lead times reasonable. Im about 3-4 weeks out on the TB's at this point....not to painful really but get on the list if you want to see something reasonably soon....I don't anticipate that lead time getting better....and it could slide the other way if things keep up at the pace they are.

For any of you located near the Santa Clarita valley in Southern CA and are looking for work let me know....Im willing to train the right guy!

Mt ported TB is far from an on off switch....its just more responsive than the OEM TB which is dead for the first third of its travel and then it comes on like a light switch of sorts. My ported unit gives you a more responsive pedal but one that's also very linear.....it feels the way the car should have felt from the factory but the OEM TB's housing bore is sooo badly shaped you have to open it to 30% throttle to get any air moving. Plus the porting adds close to 100 CFM of extra air up top increasing performance and adding more torque and more peak power.

Hope this clarifies and explains a little better why its such a good move. Im curious, have you driven a stock unit yet? Assuming you have I'm surprised you aren't in tune with this lazy pedal and lag you get in the lower throttle positions although I have had guys that bought it cause their buddies raved about it and they admitted to me they didnt really think there was an issue but then emailed me back after getting and installing my TB and the light bulb went off let me tell you....LOL (and of course they were thrilled they decided to take the plunge).

-Tony
Thanks for the response. I have an a10 ZL1, and have ~600 miles of conservative break in driving on it. Hard to say as it drives much different than any vehicle I've owned, but I haven't noticed an OVERLY bad throttle input issue.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #26
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Email sent about getting on the list for a ported TB.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #27
RC000E

Drives: 2002 Corvette Z06
Nice work man, very good stuff. I've wanted to build a diy flow bench for some time, for hobbyist testing, just haven't gotten to it. I used to fabricate a lot of headers and collectors, intake mani's, etc. The good ol days...lol.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #28
CorySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Can't wait for mine Tony!
CorySS is offline   Reply With Quote