Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #29
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Most pre-pros get crushed. But others are saleable, or can be converted to saleable units with minimal effort. It mostly depends on how far along the program was when it got built.

Given that we're about a week out from regular production beginning, any car built in Bowling Green is going to have all the production parts and everything will be validated. What they're doing at this point will be working out how to assemble the pieces quickly & correctly. Such cars often get sold used.

Others that were built a short while ago, might have a few trim pieces that got tweaked or something. Change those out, and you've got something identical to a regular production car.

Now, the ones that were hand built on a dummy line to 'prove' the car is in fact build-able, or the ones that were engineering prototypes? Yeah, the only way they're leaving GM's hands is as a little cube of metal and plastic.
The one that Rick Hendrick will be receiving will not be the red one shown at Barrett-Jackson, but it will be triple black, the highest trim level, and every available option installed.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
The one that Rick Hendrick will be receiving will not be the red one shown at Barrett-Jackson, but it will be triple black, the highest trim level, and every available option installed.
Since regular production had not started at the time of the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction, there is no way that the car on stage is the one he was buying. Same thing with the 5th gen Camaro. I watched the auction in January, and I shook hands with Mr. Hendrick when he got his car about 3 months later in Oshawa.

But regardless, what does that have to do with anything either of us said?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #31
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yeah the car itself is fine, but still not good pub when you have one crash, engineers arrested for racing and then the wheels get stolen off one.
It's likely irrelevant for most of the general public.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #32
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I mean if it's a CTF car (which at this late stage of development it very likely could be) it has a VIN and can be saleable once full production starts. A lot of the 5th gen Camaro CTF cars are now in customer hands.

And this has happened before...to a member on this site actually. Granted they stole the wheels off of the car in his driveway.
Change "wheels" to "stereo" and you can add me to the list. 1998 Bonneville SSEi that I had ordered as my Drive & Buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Most pre-pros get crushed. But others are saleable, or can be converted to saleable units with minimal effort. It mostly depends on how far along the program was when it got built.

Given that we're about a week out from regular production beginning, any car built in Bowling Green is going to have all the production parts and everything will be validated. What they're doing at this point will be working out how to assemble the pieces quickly & correctly. Such cars often get sold used.

Others that were built a short while ago, might have a few trim pieces that got tweaked or something. Change those out, and you've got something identical to a regular production car.

Now, the ones that were hand built on a dummy line to 'prove' the car is in fact build-able, or the ones that were engineering prototypes? Yeah, the only way they're leaving GM's hands is as a little cube of metal and plastic.
The fact that this car did not have manufacturer plates furthers the idea that it is a production saleable CTF.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #33
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
What airheaded engineer leaves an IVER parked in the g-d street??

That particular car probably cost GM a half mill to build.
Not an IVER. This is pre production, not a prototype.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I mean if it's a CTF car (which at this late stage of development it very likely could be) it has a VIN and can be saleable once full production starts. A lot of the 5th gen Camaro CTF cars are now in customer hands.

And this has happened before...to a member on this site actually. Granted they stole the wheels off of the car in his driveway.
Yeah, I know him........me