Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
FE2 Suspension -> FE3/FE4: Springs advice

I have a v6 with FE2 suspension.

I have a set of new FE3 suspension (struts/shocks/springs) and am about to go for a FE4 sway bar set. My car has 85k miles on it and the springs have been the same throughout.

I’m looking to see whether I should use my old FE2 springs or go for lowering springs like BMR who sell them for $160 with small cosmetic defects. I don’t really care to lower the car but if I’m taking all this apart anyways I feel as if I should change the springs as well. I’m not looking to spend more then $200 which is why I’m looking at BMR’s scratch/ding set.

Edit: turns out BMR’s springs are only v8
Edit2: they still fit v6 and lower slightly
Happiness: Infinite

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 07-06-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
Why not use the fe3 springs?
BigGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy81 View Post
Why not use the fe3 springs?
According to another thread with someone that did this swap, they said that the FE3 springs on non-v8 raises the car to where it doesn’t look right

Old 07-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
The FE3 came on the 1LE 2.0T and V6 if I'm remembering correctly. What springs do those use? Would make sense that the V8 springs wouldn't be ideal, with it being a couple hundred pounds heavier than the V6

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
DriftNDraft

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 was 2018 V6 RS A8
Both the SS and V6 1LE Camaro come with a FE3 suspension, but the springs on each are not the same. The springs are different between the two FE3 packages to compensate for the weights of the V6 and V8 engines and possibly even for the weight differences between manual and automatic transmissions.

If you put the front springs from a SS FE3 package into a V6 Camaro, the front end will sit up too high. You can get the correct spring P/Ns for the V6 FE3 package here. A comprehensive discussion of all the complexities of Camaro suspension P/Ns is here.

Make sure that the struts are matched to the springs. The valving of the struts needs to be matched to the beefier spring rates. Also, if you use lowering springs, the correct method is to modify the travel in the struts to match that of the springs. This is why GM swaps both the struts and springs out in their lowering kits, and why so many people have issues with a messed up ride after just dropping in the lowering springs alone.

For the best overall results, suspension tuning should always start with the tires you'll be using. Everything else gets tuned to that. More stiffness in springs and sway bars is not always better. It can be very easy to make a suspension ride way too stiff while not gaining any advantages in lateral traction.

Last edited by DriftNDraft; 07-04-2020 at 12:51 PM.
DriftNDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftNDraft View Post
Both the SS and V6 1LE Camaro come with a FE3 suspension, but the springs on each are not the same. The springs are different between the two FE3 packages to compensate for the weights of the V6 and V8 engines and possibly even for the weight differences between manual and automatic transmissions.

If you put the front springs from a SS FE3 package into a V6 Camaro, the front end will sit up too high. You can get the correct spring P/Ns for the V6 FE3 package here. A comprehensive discussion of all the complexities of Camaro suspension P/Ns is here.

Make sure that the struts are matched to the springs. The valving of the struts need to be matched to the spring rates. Also, if you use lowering springs, the correct method is to modify the travel in the struts to match that of the springs. This is why GM swaps both the struts and springs out in their lowering kits, and why so many people have issues with a loose ride after just dropping in the lowering springs alone.

For the best overall results, suspension tuning should always start with the tires you'll be using. Everything else gets tuned to that. More stiffness in springs and sway bars is not always better. It can be very easy to make a suspension ride way too stiff while not gaining any advantages in lateral traction.
I’ve only had run-flats on but am leaning more towards non-rf for my next. I’ve accepted that the ride won’t be some great luxury unless I spend like $1k on coils. So I’m looking for a more stable and better handling in favor or ride comfort.

Seems like the v6 1LE springs are like $45 each new so might go that way

Old 07-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

BMR got back to me on my email, their springs are back into the play.

I’ve been told that it’ll lower the v6 car about 1/2” front and 1” back

Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #8
JayRow52

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LS 2.0T
Quote:

Make sure that the struts are matched to the springs. The valving of the struts needs to be matched to the beefier spring rates. Also, if you use lowering springs, the correct method is to modify the travel in the struts to match that of the springs. This is why GM swaps both the struts and springs out in their lowering kits, and why so many people have issues with a messed up ride after just dropping in the lowering springs alone.

Just to add a bit of clarification to this, It's been verified in both of the links provided that the 2.0T/V6 1LE packages use the same front springs as their FE2 equipped counterparts along with FE3 rear springs. I think the front V6 rates are 126 lbs/in and the FE3 rears are 577 lbs/in. You can use your stock FE2 front springs along with the FE3 rear springs mated to the FE3 struts at all four corners. This is what the LS/LT 1LE packages uses from the factory. I have this setup on my '17 2.0T along with the sway bars I'll get to below.

The FE4 sway bars require a really sticky tire. DriftNDraft nails it when he says to start with the tire you'll be using. You're probably better off with an FE3 front sway bar with an FEA (ZL1 1LE) rear sway bar. It has the same stiffness as an FE3 rear bar in its' neutral setting, but offers adjustment to a step softer or firmer allowing you to tune out your understeer a bit if needed.

This setup does a great job at showing off the flex in the FE2 rear subframe bushings. You'll probably want to address those next...
Old 07-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRow52 View Post
Just to add a bit of clarification to this, It's been verified in both of the links provided that the 2.0T/V6 1LE packages use the same front springs as their FE2 equipped counterparts along with FE3 rear springs. I think the front V6 rates are 126 lbs/in and the FE3 rears are 577 lbs/in. You can use your stock FE2 front springs along with the FE3 rear springs mated to the FE3 struts at all four corners. This is what the LS/LT 1LE packages uses from the factory. I have this setup on my '17 2.0T along with the sway bars I'll get to below.

The FE4 sway bars require a really sticky tire. DriftNDraft nails it when he says to start with the tire you'll be using. You're probably better off with an FE3 front sway bar with an FEA (ZL1 1LE) rear sway bar. It has the same stiffness as an FE3 rear bar in its' neutral setting, but offers adjustment to a step softer or firmer allowing you to tune out your understeer a bit if needed.

This setup does a great job at showing off the flex in the FE2 rear subframe bushings. You'll probably want to address those next...
Damn, I missed the part of the rear springs being the same. I ordered all 4 springs labeled in the 1LE post. I think I'll just use those springs I ordered since I can't cancel them and they'll charge a restocking fee if I return. I'll try to sell the FE3 springs and my old FE2 springs as well as my FE2 struts/shocks and hopefully sometime later a shop repairing will probably buy them.

The sway bar I've been looking for, at first I found ZL1 sway bars new for $160 but put out a feeler for some used ones. If some guys on FB get back to me I may be able to get the FE3 sway bars and end links if they have them, don't know about going higher then FE3 at the moment as I'm afraid I won't either be able to tell the difference or make the use of them since my cars just a daily. If all else fails I see someone selling FE3 front and rear with end links included for $200 so might do that.

I've heard only good things about changing the bushings so that may as well be the next goal after I install this setup.

Final setup for me it seems is FE3 struts/shocks, v6 1LE springs, FE3 sway bars & end-links

Old 07-10-2020, 01:49 AM   #10
DriftNDraft

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 was 2018 V6 RS A8
There's also different bracing on FE3 cars (compare the LT to the SS below). Other members here with V6 1LEs confirmed that their cars have at least the front shear panel added. FE2 LT cars do not. See https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561662

The FE3 suspension apparently benefits from a more rigid chassis. GM isn't going to add the extra cost of more and different bracing unless it really makes a difference.
Attached Images

Last edited by DriftNDraft; 07-10-2020 at 02:13 AM.
DriftNDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
There's also different bracing on FE3 cars (compare the LT to the SS below). Other members here with V6 1LEs confirmed that their cars have at least the front shear panel added. FE2 LT cars do not. See https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561662

The FE3 suspension apparently benefits from a more rigid chassis. GM isn't going to add the extra cost of more and different bracing unless it really makes a difference.
Oh man, the price on that one piece though

Definetly adding it to my list of things I want but gonna have to recover from the FE3 suspension bits first lmaoo

Thank you so much!

Tags
fe2, fe3, fe4, lowering, springs