Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
TheZman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS m6
2017 Camaro engine stock internal strength. Supercharger

Im looking at buying a new 17 Camaro SS. Just wondering how strong the stock internals are for installing a Supercharger? Are they forged rods and crank like the 5.0 mustang but with hypereutec pistons? I know some guys with the new 5.0 putting down anywhere from 600whp to 750whp with no issues. Just hoping the Camaro can handle the same? Any Superchargers available that offer a full powertrain warranty like Roush does with Ford? If so which is the best for the LT1 engine . Im also researching this like crazy online but just wanted to ask here as well hoping to find some people with first hand experience and knowledge on the subject. .
TheZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I'm by no means an expert when it comes to anything like that, but I've seen a few posts here that seem to agree that the LT1 can handle up to 650hp
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
TheZman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighunter View Post
I'm by no means an expert when it comes to anything like that, but I've seen a few posts here that seem to agree that the LT1 can handle up to 650hp
Wheel Horsepower?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
Im looking at buying a new 17 Camaro SS. Just wondering how strong the stock internals are for installing a Supercharger? Are they forged rods and crank like the 5.0 mustang but with hypereutec pistons? I know some guys with the new 5.0 putting down anywhere from 600whp to 750whp with no issues. Just hoping the Camaro can handle the same? Any Superchargers available that offer a full powertrain warranty like Roush does with Ford? If so which is the best for the LT1 engine . Im also researching this like crazy online but just wanted to ask here as well hoping to find some people with first hand experience and knowledge on the subject. .
The current consensus is that the LT1 motor can handle supercharger power to 700 whp (about 800 flywheel) without any trouble. It will take fuel system upgrades to get to these levels and these direct injection motors are a little more complicated than just adding a bigger a injector to get more fuel.

Failures above 700 whp are generally related to piston and ring failures.

Magnusson and Edlebrock both offer some kind of powertrain warranty with their kit. I have not read the fine print myself but I'm told that it basically says warranty is only valid if you use what comes with the kit, install it exactly as directed and never add anything other than what is in the kit. I don't know of anyone ever actually making a warranty claim but I guess it is possible. The kits are only going to give you about 550- 575 whp so it won't even stress the stock motor. If that is what you are looking for I would buy the Maggie myself. They have better cooling and from what I have seen the tune is more refined.

If you want to whip all the supercharged Mustangs you may need a little more power than these kits are putting out. You can start with fuel upgrades and go to 700 whp with LT4 mechanical pump and injectors ($2500) as well as a more powerful tank pump ($1000) then you should consider pistons. These cars get kind of expensive when you want to get crazy power.... Turbos have a higher power ceiling as well as much less parasitic loss to generate boost but the stock pistons are not going to be able to handle what the turbos can generate.... I really like my 2016 at around 600 whp. It feels really controllable and docile to me compared to my ZL1 but I don't feel it is exceptionally powerful, it has less than half as much power as my ZL1. But at 600whp the Hellcat is the only stock car under 100K that will touch it....and if you have any curves in the road the hellcat will drop away.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
650 is about right in terms of power from what I know. I believe pistons go first, generally speaking. From there I think you're good for a bit but you may start running out of fuel at 700 or so, thus meth injection or standalone fuel cells on a lot of high horsepower builds.

Supercharger alone right now MAY net you 600rwhp with a solid custom tune, but most are in the 500 range.

As for warranties, you'll have to check each manufacturer's website. Some cover more than others, most for different lengths of time, and they all have certain requirements you have to meet.

And "best" supercharger is a super debated topic. There is no "best" and I'm sure you'll have people all day on this board argue that one is superior to the others. I myself am wanting to go Procharger because I like the gradual power delivery and high end boost for being a Daily Driver. Others prefer something like a Magnuson or Edelbrock for low down results that doesn't take a bit of time to ramp up the power.

2010 2SS - Summit White - SOLD
CAI intake, Borla Atak axle-back (Summit xpipe resonator delete), custom ported TB, Texas Speed 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Catless connections

Instagram: bravomyles
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I really like my 2016 at around 600 whp. It feels really controllable and docile to me compared to my ZL1 but I don't feel it is exceptionally powerful, it has less than half as much power as my ZL1.
I can't quite get over this bit of your post Jessrayo, holy crap my 455 flywheel HP suddenly seems weak, and it's the fastest car I've driven. lol

2010 2SS - Summit White - SOLD
CAI intake, Borla Atak axle-back (Summit xpipe resonator delete), custom ported TB, Texas Speed 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Catless connections

Instagram: bravomyles
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
TheZman

So are the 5.0 Mustang engines better for Supercharging? I keep hearing how they come stock with forged internals and guys are getting crazy power without issues.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
DiGiam

Drives: 2016 NFG SS A8
You still have to replace the oil pump gears and crank gear in the 5.0 but after that, they will hold just about anything the average guy will throw at them. 7-800whp isn't uncommon. The lt1 is tricky but if staying n/a, it's hard to beat.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
TheZman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiam View Post
You still have to replace the oil pump gears and crank gear in the 5.0 but after that, they will hold just about anything the average guy will throw at them. 7-800whp isn't uncommon. The lt1 is tricky but if staying n/a, it's hard to beat.
But how reliable is the 5.0 at that kind of power? I was actually thinking about buying a new 5.0 and doing the Roush stage 1 Supercharger at 670hp. I can get the new Mustang for only $32k and Supercharger installed would be $8k. So everything done it would be a $40k car with 670hp. But then i saw the new Camaro in person for the first time up close at the local chevy dealer and loved it. But its basically the price of the built stang but stock :( That kind of power is tempting to still at the last second pick it over the Camaro!?!?.. But then good looks and reliability with the Camaro sounds good too..
Old 10-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #10
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
So are the 5.0 Mustang engines better for Supercharging? I keep hearing how they come stock with forged internals and guys are getting crazy power without issues.
Not sure what's different in the 5.0, I thought the 5.0 had hyper pistons and powder rods pretty much like everything else out there (It's been quite a few years since I was a ford guy so I'm just guessing here). I don't know of any reason the LT1 won't hold up under the same levels as long as it has enough fuel.

There are cases out there of the LT pistons giving up at about 650 RWHP but that's also pretty much where that stock fuel system is past it's limit. SO... did the pistons give up? or did it run out of fuel and broke the parts... LT1s with DI are a bit of an odd animal, the fuel system does not hit a limit, but the window to inject fuel does, you can run these LT1s out of fuel and not know it immediately from watching the reading on a wide band O2.

I haven't spent much time in the new Mustang yet, but the 6th gen Camaro is a fantastic car with tons of power potential! Don't think you can go wrong with this car.
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:30 AM   #11
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
The mustang has a forged bottom end, so it can take more before needing a full rebuild, however thats not to say its completely without its own problems, like oil pump gears and timing gears etc.

I mean, if you are chasing 1000rwhp, the costs are not going to be drastically different for either car. Its just around the 700rwhp area that the mustang would be marginally easier. And then you have to consider that the suspension and brakes on the Camaro start off so far ahead of a stock GT, thats going to be an extra cost there as well.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:51 AM   #12
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
I was at an event recently where a supercharged Coyote blew up. In my book that is certainly an issue...
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:58 AM   #13
TheZman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
The mustang has a forged bottom end, so it can take more before needing a full rebuild, however thats not to say its completely without its own problems, like oil pump gears and timing gears etc.

I mean, if you are chasing 1000rwhp, the costs are not going to be drastically different for either car. Its just around the 700rwhp area that the mustang would be marginally easier. And then you have to consider that the suspension and brakes on the Camaro start off so far ahead of a stock GT, thats going to be an extra cost there as well.
Im definitely not chasing 1000hp. More like 650/700hp im good with. From research it definitely looks like the 5.0 is easier to do at that level. Looks like the Direct Injection in the LT makes it difficult.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #14
TheZman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I was at an event recently where a supercharged Coyote blew up. In my book that is certainly an issue...
What kind of boost was he running? From everything ive seen so far the 5.0 is fine with the Roush phase 1at 670hp heck even the phase 2 at 727hp seems to be fine. It sucks i really love the new Camaro especially in looks compared to the mustang. But the mustang gas a lot bigger aftermarket and supporting mods even from Ford. The Roush stage 1 comes with everything you need to upgrade for $6,780 and the dealer will install it for $1,200. Not bad..