Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
400+ hp naturally aspirated v6?

Is it possible to build a v6 from a camaro v6 block to over 400 hp? I know there is options like changing th heads , cam changes, piston, etc. what are other ways that there are to do that other than forced induction. I saw Porsche made a flathead 6 making 475 hp...sonit hads to be possible for us to do...I was just wondering where someone would start...for around 6 grand in pocket
Old 01-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
On e85 and full bolt on you might get to 380-390 crank.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
you'd have to go lightweight and high rev's...so probably best in a flathead config, rather than V.

you're only other option is a massive bore and stroke ...which would probably just not work.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
WhiteLightening

What all is full bolt ons entail? If our motor was to also be bored out and stroked..how much better would it be power wise? Would ou be able to break into the 420 hp range ?
Old 01-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightening View Post
Is it possible to build a v6 from a camaro v6 block to over 400 hp? I know there is options like changing th heads , cam changes, piston, etc. what are other ways that there are to do that other than forced induction. I saw Porsche made a flathead 6 making 475 hp...sonit hads to be possible for us to do...I was just wondering where someone would start...for around 6 grand in pocket
100+ shot, good tune, necessary forged internals.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightening View Post
What all is full bolt ons entail? If our motor was to also be bored out and stroked..how much better would it be power wise? Would ou be able to break into the 420 hp range ?
Full bolt on would be intake, larger throttle body, ported/filled manifold, and maybe a more free flowing exhaust (probably won't do much). You'd have to have a dialed in tune on e85 too. That would most likely put you at 320-325 whp.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:04 AM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
Full bolt on would be intake, larger throttle body, ported/filled manifold, and maybe a more free flowing exhaust (probably won't do much). You'd have to have a dialed in tune on e85 too. That would most likely put you at 320-325 whp.
Think your math is a little off but your gap to 400whp isn't much off. I think with full available bolt-ons running whatever cam for fuel lobe is available he'd likely need a custom grind and with a ZL1 LPFP and Full E85 will get him closer to the 370-380whp mark if he had forged internals only, without that bottom end build-up the rings and rods would window the block very quickly.

It would be an interesting project but i'll be honest OP your looking at what you spent on the car to get to the 370-380whp mark without some form of nitrous or FI..

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
WhiteLightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Think your math is a little off but your gap to 400whp isn't much off. I think with full available bolt-ons running whatever cam for fuel lobe is available he'd likely need a custom grind and with a ZL1 LPFP and Full E85 will get him closer to the 370-380whp mark if he had forged internals only, without that bottom end build-up the rings and rods would window the block very quickly.

It would be an interesting project but i'll be honest OP your looking at what you spent on the car to get to the 370-380whp mark without some form of nitrous or FI..
Hmm well that’s still not too bad...it would be a hell of a lot better with a tune and no more throttle lag, when accelerating. So how much do you guys think it would cost to do all this building up the engine ? Hehe!

When y’all are talking numbers of hp and tq, is that to the rear or and the crank?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
JakeF_RS

Quote:

I forgot who it was but someone with a v6 is running very similar mods to that and getting in that whp range. Cams are going to be difficult to make because of the variable valve timing that the LGX uses. I'm really not sure that it's possible to get to 400whp without going FI or nitrous. Those mods with a 3.27 rear diff, you'd probably be running mid 12s in the quarter.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #10
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
i just look at it like this, if you need 1.5atmo's to boost rwhp by 100hp then that means to do the same without boost or changing fuel and all other things being equal, you'd need to increase the amount of air processed by the engine by 50% over stock. That means either increasing the volume by 50% or increasing the rpms such that 50% more air on avg is being consumed. I highly doubt you'd be able to do the former with the lgx block, much less make it last. The latter has a chance, if you dumped crazy cash to turn the lgx into an F1 screamer since according to my rough math, that would put the target rpm at over 10k.

for a boost of 100hp with the lgx, you either need to change fuels or boost. Those are the most practical routes.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #11
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
How many threads are you going to start for your theoretical and hypothetical and non existent upgrades? I’m not trying to be a dick here but come on man. You ask the same question posed differently with different parts constantly.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:32 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
How many threads are you going to start for your theoretical and hypothetical and non existent upgrades? I’m not trying to be a dick here but come on man. You ask the same question posed differently with different parts constantly.
Does it matter? Wether or not he asks the same question over again he clearly gets different input and people responding and he has the balls to ask and continue to wonder if it's possible. 400whp N/A without massive engine overhauls is unlikely but the worse crime would be not aspiring to get there. Us 2.0T guys are already pushing our limits and have done a ton of crazy theorycrafting and execution for awesome results. OP you keep doing you jist know what your getting into when you decide to pull the trigger.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #13
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Does it matter? Wether or not he asks the same question over again he clearly gets different input and people responding and he has the balls to ask and continue to wonder if it's possible. 400whp N/A without massive engine overhauls is unlikely but the worse crime would be not aspiring to get there. Us 2.0T guys are already pushing our limits and have done a ton of crazy theorycrafting and execution for awesome results. OP you keep doing you jist know what your getting into when you decide to pull the trigger.
He’s not aspiring to get to anywhere lol he won’t do any of these mods. He’s just starting a new thread every other week about something else. Turbos, superchargers, throttle bodies, cams, porting, engine swap, differential swap and so on. He’s asked these questions on multiple occasions in multiple threads. It’s not the asking part, it’s the fact he asks the same questions over and over and over everywhere. I’m not the first person to tell him this.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #14
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The V6 has 4 overhead cams and the heads have integrated exhaust manifolds. I don't believe anybody is making cams or heads for the V6 due to the low demand and high start-up costs. The integrated exhaust manifold means no headers. I don't believe anybody is making an aftermarket intake manifold for the V6 either. So for the moment there don't seem to be many FBO options for the V6. I think FI is the only option if you want big power with the V6.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote