Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #183
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Ignoring the nameplate history discussion, it isn't a bad looking CUV at all. I like the fact the AWD system can be selected to be on full time. What I don't like about the Equinox's AWD system and many like it is the fact it will only engage when it detects slip and if both front wheels are spinning, it is not capable of sending power to the rear.

It's why I am considering the Subaru Forester as my second car due to the AWD being full time.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #184
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
You hit the nail on the head with this. I had a ZR2 Blazer 10 years ago and have been hoping that GM would bring it back. While this iteration of the Blazer looks nice, it's more of a replacement for my wife's Equinox than a continuation of the "Blazer" namesake.
Exactly. When you look at Chevy's SUV lineup, this new Blazer isn't filling a gap or creating a new line. It's just a more aggressive looking run of the mill SUV with a Camaro dashboard.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #185
ChevyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Exactly. When you look at Chevy's SUV lineup, this new Blazer isn't filling a gap or creating a new line. It's just a more aggressive looking run of the mill SUV with a Camaro dashboard.

It is filling a gap. The new Equinox shrunk making it a proper compact CUV, the Blazer is a mid-size CUV, and Traverse is a full size CUV.

Chevy now has a full and complete line up of crossovers.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #186
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
You hit the nail on the head with this. I had a ZR2 Blazer 10 years ago and have been hoping that GM would bring it back. While this iteration of the Blazer looks nice, it's more of a replacement for my wife's Equinox than a continuation of the "Blazer" namesake.
Was having this discussion this morning with a co-worker. We were discussing the transitions of nameplates, some of them iconic. My question to him was what was the bigger “offense”? Going from the K5 Blazer to the S10 Blazer, with both in the market at the same time or going from the S10 Blazer to the 2019 Blazer after the nameplate had more than 15 years to “cool off”?

Then we started talking about which is the greatest departure from the legacy?

Original Impala —> today’s Impala
Original Malibu —> today’s Malibu
Original T-Bird —> pick a T-Bird
Original Explorer —> today’s Explorer
Original 300 —> LH platform 300
Original Regal —> Today’s Regal

Setting aside the point in time when Chrysler / Dodge slapped the Charger name on a tarted up Omni, we sort of agreed that T-Bird is the worst offender, though he’s still more than a little salty about the Blazer.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #187
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Yup. Same thing for the Mustang. People have no idea how close the Probe was to getting the galloping horse badge on the hood.
i didn't know the mustang almost made the switch thats a little scary to think about lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Yes to all that. I also saw unapproved plans that would have had a hybrid Camaro on the road by now.
i honestly would like to see what a hybrid Camaro or Corvette would be like, especially if its a performance hybrid
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #188
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Yes to all that. I also saw unapproved plans that would have had a hybrid Camaro on the road by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
i didn't know the mustang almost made the switch thats a little scary to think about lol

i honestly would like to see what a hybrid Camaro or Corvette would be like, especially if its a performance hybrid
You would not have wanted to see that one. Hybrid technology has improved by several half-lives since then. Not sure you could have put performance and hybrid in the same sentence without giggling. Now you can (looking at you, Porsche)
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #189
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
FWD GM80 Camaro/Firebird prototypes were built and tested before GM axed the program.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #190
ChevyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
FWD GM80 Camaro/Firebird prototypes were built and tested before GM axed the program.

People may complain about Saturn, but the creation of the brand to my understanding is what we can thank for the death of the GM80 Camaro/Firebird.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #191
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Was having this discussion this morning with a co-worker. We were discussing the transitions of nameplates, some of them iconic. My question to him was what was the bigger “offense”? Going from the K5 Blazer to the S10 Blazer, with both in the market at the same time or going from the S10 Blazer to the 2019 Blazer after the nameplate had more than 15 years to “cool off”?

Then we started talking about which is the greatest departure from the legacy?

Original Impala —> today’s Impala
Original Malibu —> today’s Malibu
Original T-Bird —> pick a T-Bird
Original Explorer —> today’s Explorer
Original 300 —> LH platform 300
Original Regal —> Today’s Regal

Setting aside the point in time when Chrysler / Dodge slapped the Charger name on a tarted up Omni, we sort of agreed that T-Bird is the worst offender, though he’s still more than a little salty about the Blazer.
This was the worst offender in my book. From muscle to 100hp turd.
1979 Challnger.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #192
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
This was the worst offender in my book. From muscle to 100hp turd.
1979 Challnger.
Blame Mitsubishi for THAT!
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #193
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post

Somewhere around 1985-87 word got out of Dearborn that the plans were pretty much concrete that the Mustang was moving to an all new front wheel drive, 4 cylinder only platform co-developed with Mazda. I think it hit Car and Driver or Road and Track. The new platform was already fully engineered, developed and on schedule for production so there was no way to stop or end it - far too much money invested at that point. I seem to remember an artist's sketch of what became the Probe on the cover of one of the magazines with the headline: "The All New Ford Mustang" or "The Next Ford Mustang"

Needless to say Ford got inundated with backlash from Mustang enthusiasts. Even Camaro enthusiasts, as I can tell you there were Pittsburgh Steeler fans who were upset when the Cleveland Browns moved - rivalry is the same principle. Mind you this is the days long before the internet. They might have had a fax machine but that was it - it was all phone calls and letters. But they got hit, hit hard, and hit often. So Ford relented due to the backlash and had to come up with what to do with this new platform they were going to call the Mustang, and that became the Probe in 1989. At that point Ford continued on the Fox platform hatchback Mustang that was going to end production in 1988, all the way through 1993 until the '94 redesign. Sales figures proved the fans right and Ford wrong. The Probe was a dud and ended production 8 years later. The Mustang still playing second fiddle to the Camaro to this day

Proof that accountants and analytics really don't know jack about cars.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #194
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Excellent read:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/autom...omes-fwd-body/
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #195
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
When I saw this on facebook I couldn't wait to see the reactions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Wow, that looks damn good. GM nailed this. Looks much better than the 19 Camaro.
I think it does look good. I need to see it in person, but the RS trim does look nice. The other trims, don't seem to flow as nice but reserve judgement till I see it in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The interior and RS front scream Camaro influences.

Attachment 942198
This ^ I was also curious how people felt about that. I remember people used to bash the Mustang for incorporating the Ford front end "looks like a fusion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I like the Camaro interior and the exterior styling. Crossovers have never been my thing but glad other people like them. Nicely done.
The RS trim does seem to flow nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I think it’s a very bold and risky-aggresive design, but I like it! And I think it will go over well with people. There’s a bit of a Mazda CX-5/CX-9 feel there, but not enough to say, “Mazda”; definitely a Chevy!
This was my first thought when I saw it. Personally I think the CX-5 and CX-9 are two of the best looking crossovers on the market. They look sporty, sleek and not vanilla. The RS Blazer has that same vibe to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
So my initial impression and thoughts are why is GM bringing yet another SUV that is not a 2 door to the market. How many SUV/Crossover's does Chevy need? Apparently 5 is not enough. Not including GMC (3) or Buick (3)

As far as looks, yes, I give it a thumbs up.
And I think this hits a solid niche in what is the hottest market segment now

Should GM have named it something else... I think the argument is a waste of time.

There is one segment that is STILL wide open that I wish GM would fill and that is the Full Size 2 door SUV.

Bring back the 2 door Tahoe. I know it won't happen... but I think it would sell very well..

And that sucks!
I was going to respond but DGthe3 said it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
A 2 door SUV makes no sense. The only appeal that a 2 door anything has over 4 would be appearance. In cars, coupes have a sleeker roofline than their sedan counterpart. Try that on a crossover or SUV, and well ... it always looks terrible. So to not look like a horrible abomination, you'd need to keep a traditional profile. In which case ... whats the point of only having 2 doors? It looks the same as its 4 door counterpart, with the added bonus of being harder to carry people in (and 'better at carrying people' is why people tend to like utilities over pickup trucks). Even if you just want to have a single row of seats with a cargo area in the back, you'd be better served with a capped pickup.

Coupe versions of sedans have been so bad over the last decade or two that automakers rarely even offer them. Camaro sales are down. Corvette sales are down. Mustang sales are down. (Challenger seems to be holding steady). Miata sales are down. 2 door pickups are falling out of favour as well.

People clearly aren't clamouring for 2 door vehicles. So what, exactly, makes you think that there is demand enough for GM to invest millions upon millions in a 2 door SUV? Just because you want one, and a buddy that you talk to agrees it would be nice, doesn't mean that there is widespread demand.
I know Ford said the Bronco would be two and four door, but I bet the 4 door outsells the 2 door by a hefty margin. I just never understood the point of a 2 door SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
By the way...this was posted in another thread.

yeah..I consider it an improvement lol

Huge improvement
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #196
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Can't keep everyone happy I suppose...

Most (+99%) of drivers drive on paved or gravel roads. So making an off-road SUV isn't going to sell nearly as well as an SUV that is designed to drive on the road makes perfect sense.

I'm proud GM finally made a sharp sporty looking SUV. I'd love a Blazer RS beside my Camaro RS. Too bad my girl's 04 Suzuki XL7 Limited seems like it's gonna last forever.