Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #2927
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
This is the thing that kills me.... the visibility in the Mustang is virtually IDENTICAL to the Camaro.

2019 Mustang
Length: 188.3 in
Wheelbase: 107.1 in
Height: 54.4 in
Width: 75.4 in (not including mirrors)

2019 Camaro
Length: 188.30 in
Wheelbase: 110.70 in
Height: 53.1 in
Width: 74.70 in (not including mirrors)

That means that the cars are literally 1 inch difference in both height and width. They're identical in length. So let's go a little further...

2019 Mustang
Front Head Room (in.): 37.6
Front Leg Room (in.): 44.5
Front Shoulder Room (in.): 56.3
Front Hip Room (in.): 54.9

2019 Camaro
Front Head Room (in.): 38.50
Front Leg Room (in.): 43.90
Front Shoulder Room (in.): 55.00
Front Hip Room (in.): 54.5

Again, both cars are virtually identical in these numbers as well...

The biggest difference between the two cars isn't the visibility...its the way you sit in the car. The Camaro is designed like a real cockpit, fighter jet like even. Whereas the Mustang is more like sitting in a pickup truck.

The view is still the same, but your perception is altered.
I have to disagree with you. I owned both cars and the Camaro has noticeably less visibility. The A pillars are larger the door sils are higher the side and rear windows are smaller. Now I still own the Camaro because I think it's a better car. And while I tend to disagree with most of the Mustang guys arguments visibility is worse in the Camaro. Especially at low speeds.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #2928
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
This is the thing that kills me.... the visibility in the Mustang is virtually IDENTICAL to the Camaro.

2019 Mustang

2019 Camaro

That means that the cars are literally 1 inch difference in both height and width. They're identical in length. So let's go a little further...

2019 Mustang

2019 Camaro

The biggest difference between the two cars isn't the visibility...its the way you sit in the car. The Camaro is designed like a real cockpit, fighter jet like even. Whereas the Mustang is more like sitting in a pickup truck.

Not a chance.

Having driven both the Mustang is substantially better. Now the Mustang doesn't have fantastic visibility, but to say they're the same is bullshit, plain and simple.

Hell, look at this photo and the view out the back is plainly visible, refuting your entire post.

SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #2929
smokinzx14r

Drives: 2018 1SS
I can't tell the difference between my 2015 Mustang and my 2018 Camaro .. The view seems the same to me ..
smokinzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #2930
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I was planning on getting an '18 1SS manual and was ready to for $32070 but when I got there the $1K extra for sealant protectant was non-negotiable. I asked on the phone if there were extras and they said no but wouldn't have the sealant price removed when I got there. So I walked and a little irked they BS'd me and wasted my trip down there. Luckily it was a local dealer. Best deal after that was around $34-35K on an '18 1SS manual at another dealer.

Found a '19 Mustang GT base manual advertised for $28777 (about 21% off msrp). No incentives to qualify for; just dealer discount and rebate. No dealer extras installed either so I took the 70 minute drive and picked it up. I love Camaros and Mustang V8s. Not partial to either one. I'm happy with either. But this one was so much less than anything I came across and I liked the color too so I took it. $1500 spent for stickier/wider rubber and lighter 19s and I'm still at barely over $30K.

The Camaro SS is slightly quicker but this car is still plenty fast for me and sounds awesome. The visibility in the Camaro wasn't a deal breaker for me but the Mustang's is substantially better nonetheless.
Ruby Red is a great color.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #2931
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

2019 Mustang

2019 Camaro

2019 Mustang

2019 Camaro

Having similar dimensions doesn't mean the visibility is the same. That pic of the yellow Mustang and Camaro shows a lot through the rear glass. Also, my Dad has a 2010 SS, and when his wife got in my GT in the passenger seat, she noticed immediately she could see out the front and sides much better. That was the first comment out of her mouth, actually. When my Dad first rode in it, he had a similar comment. You do know that the new Camaros have a rear video camera that feeds to the rear view mirror, right, because the rear visibility is so poor?

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #2932
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Having similar dimensions doesn't mean the visibility is the same. That pic of the yellow Mustang and Camaro shows a lot through the rear glass. Also, my Dad has a 2010 SS, and when his wife got in my GT in the passenger seat, she noticed immediately she could see out the front and sides much better. That was the first comment out of her mouth, actually. When my Dad first rode in it, he had a similar comment. You do know that the new Camaros have a rear video camera that feeds to the rear view mirror, right, because the rear visibility is so poor?
Well, yes and no. They do have the rear camera mirror, but it wasn't developed because of Camaro's visibility. The 1st vehicle to use it was the Chevrolet Bolt EV. That vehicle has zero visibility problems. The second was the Cadillac CT6. Again, no visibility problems. It is being deployed across all Cadillacs now. And since Camaro shares a lot of content with ATS / CTS, it is a natural to get it. Helping the rear visibility was definitely a factor in adding it to the Camaro, but it was not the only or even the main reason.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #2933
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
I have driven both

The mustang has the visibility and seating position of a honda accord. It feels like a regular car with a big motor.

The camaro feels like sports car. Visibility is definitely less, seating position is way sportier.

Regardless of the spec sheets say
-mustang feels considerably larger inside
-trunk is bigger
-ingress/egress easier
-it feels like a very fast regular car

-camaro is no compromise sports car
-feels tight inside, less useable for everyday life
-camaro just constantly makes you think you’re in a 9/10 corvette

The mustang is the car you drive to work, the camaro is the car you drive on the weekends.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #2934
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
I have driven both

The mustang has the visibility and seating position of a honda accord. It feels like a regular car with a big motor.

The camaro feels like sports car. Visibility is definitely less, seating position is way sportier.

-trunk is bigger
-ingress/egress easier

The mustang is the car you drive to work, the camaro is the car you drive on the weekends.
Excellent observations!
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #2935
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
I have driven both

-trunk is bigger
-ingress/egress easier

I test drove a Mustang and a Camaro on the same day, back to back. Your analysis is spot on.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 PM   #2936
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:

2019 Mustang

2019 Camaro

2019 Mustang

2019 Camaro

Absolute and utter Bullsh!t. You can list every statistic/measurement in the world. It means nothing compared to the reality of driving both cars.

I've driven at least 5 6th Gen Camaros. The rearview out of the Camaro is a mail slot. Period. You can sit every way imaginable and it's still a mail slot. The Mustang's rear view is much, much better. It's not even comparable.

Parking the Mustang is way easier too. You can see where the end of the hood is where you you have no idea in the Camaro. And I realize you sit lower in the Camaro. Well if you sit too high in the Camaro, you'll basically not see stoplights due to the small windshield. And the rear visibility.......is still a mail slot.

I'm not saying the Camaro visibility is a deal breaker. You get used to it or should I say, I got used to it. But the Mustang's is world's better. It's almost like a normal car in that respect.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #2937
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
I have both a 16 Mustang and 18 Camaro, I've had many many more blind spot where I'm glad I always double check in the Mustang than in the Camaro.

Also the Camaro's mirrors are bigger.

But over all, literally the same. I think it has to do with people not used to the immersive experience driving these cars.
In all honesty, if you can't handle lane shifting, get another car I say, a slow one where you won't plow into someone and leave sports cars to people who can.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:20 AM   #2938
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Mustang has better visibility, but not by as much as some people make it out to be. A 370z is way worse than a Camaro.

When I was buying a car, visibility was not really on my list of properties. I never found the Camaro to be so bad that I wouldn't buy one, i just liked the Mustang better. The Camaro, performance wise, is objectively, a much better car, and nobody can deny that.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:10 AM   #2939
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Also, my Dad has a 2010 SS, and when his wife got in my GT in the passenger seat, she noticed immediately she could see out the front and sides much better. That was the first comment out of her mouth, actually. When my Dad first rode in it, he had a similar comment. You do know that the new Camaros have a rear video camera that feeds to the rear view mirror, right, because the rear visibility is so poor?
I owned a 5th gen and I now own a 6th gen.... the 5th gens were much larger cars. The 5th gens were massive cars overall, and the hood issue was something we all dealt with. I'm not talking about the 5th gens however..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I've driven at least 5 6th Gen Camaros. The rearview out of the Camaro is a mail slot. Period. You can sit every way imaginable and it's still a mail slot. The Mustang's rear view is much, much better. It's not even comparable.

Parking the Mustang is way easier too. You can see where the end of the hood is where you you have no idea in the Camaro. And I realize you sit lower in the Camaro. Well if you sit too high in the Camaro, you'll basically not see stoplights due to the small windshield. And the rear visibility.......is still a mail slot.
If you adjust your mirrors/seat correctly, you really don't need 5 ft of glass to look out of a car. I'm not saying the Camaro's visibility is better. I am however saying that the Mustang's isn't all that much better. Again, they have all of the same blind spots. They have practically the same size glass all around (front/sides) and yes, the Camaro's back windshield is smaller. I can honestly say I've spent enough time between all 3 pony cars to say that other than the sheer size of the vehicles (which creates some differences) that the vehicles are all pretty much the same in terms of visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospiece View Post
I have both a 16 Mustang and 18 Camaro, I've had many many more blind spot where I'm glad I always double check in the Mustang than in the Camaro.

Also the Camaro's mirrors are bigger.

But over all, literally the same. I think it has to do with people not used to the immersive experience driving these cars.
In all honesty, if you can't handle lane shifting, get another car I say, a slow one where you won't plow into someone and leave sports cars to people who can.
Exactly this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Mustang has better visibility, but not by as much as some people make it out to be.
Exactly my point. I'm not saying the Camaro's is great, it isn't...but people act like the Mustang's is 100x better. It's not. The rear windows on the car are really the biggest differences, but if you absolutely need a rear window to back up a car or to drive it.... I think you got bigger issues on your hands...
Old 01-22-2019, 02:18 AM   #2940
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
I would not want to park a Mustang or Camaro without a rear camera or parking sensors either. Both are pretty bad compared to compact wagons or sedans, just like every 2-door coupe (Audi TT, BMW Z4, Toyota GT86, etc, etc)