Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
HP Tuners MPVI2 /w AEM X-Series wideband noob

I have never tuned or setup gauges on a car. I am getting Pray to do a remote tune for me once I have all my bolt ins on. My question is I would like to have two gauges to show more info. To start I would like to show AFR and eth% on them. I have no idea how to set this up. Do I need to buy another full kit. Do I just buy another gauge. I really have no idea what I am doing and there is so much info out there its a bit overwhelming. Eventually I would like to have as much info available to me on the gauges and really start to understand what everything means but right now I just need somewhere to start. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Talk to him first
Old 02-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
TMS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE - HBM, PDR

I run two gauges. I run an AEM X-Series wideband Gauge/controller w/ OBD CAN integration (#30-0333). This gauge is dedicated to a single display of AFR. I also run a second gauge for a number of other PID channels including Ethanol. This gauge is an AeroForce Interceptor OBD scan gauge and can display many, many parameter being broadcast over the CAN bus and can display two channels at the same time. I specifically use this gauge for my Ethanol content just as you are looking to do.

This combination works great for me.

However, there are certainly other ways to get what you are after. You could do it all on one gauge. Even the Interceptor gauge could report wideband AFR/lambda as there are two configurable analog inputs on the gauge. But it would mean purchasing a separate wideband controller to feed the gauge. With the AEM X-Series gauge, the UEGO controller is built into the gauge. Also, it uses the Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors which are very good, so that was the direction I took.

Good luck.

Link to Interceptor gauge video showing toggling the display. I just selected a few PIDs in my configuration. Very brief but gives you the idea.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YSO...ew?usp=sharing
JRE Tuned (HPTuners) | 15% OD (9.17" crank pulley) | TVS2300 Maggie Heartbeat Supercharger - 14 psi | E-50 (DSX Flex Fuel kit) | JMS FuelMax Fuel Pump Booster | LPE Big Bore High Volume DI fuel pump | LPE High Flow DI fuel injectors | LT5 95mm TB | RotoFab CAI | AEM X-Series OBD2 wide band gauge | Elite Engineering E2-X catch can | Borla S-type NPP Cat-Back 3" exhaust | Forgeline GTD1 5-lug Satin Graphite | SunTek wrap | C-Quartz Finest Reserve ceramic coated

Last edited by TMS; 02-01-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added/fixed video link
TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The AEM 30-0333 comes with the pass thru OBD2 cable, which allows you to add another gauge to it. Which is I believe what TMS most likely did..or maybe not.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
TMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
The AEM 30-0333 comes with the pass thru OBD2 cable, which allows you to add another gauge to it. Which is I believe what TMS most likely did..or maybe not.

Exactly this
JRE Tuned (HPTuners) | 15% OD (9.17" crank pulley) | TVS2300 Maggie Heartbeat Supercharger - 14 psi | E-50 (DSX Flex Fuel kit) | JMS FuelMax Fuel Pump Booster | LPE Big Bore High Volume DI fuel pump | LPE High Flow DI fuel injectors | LT5 95mm TB | RotoFab CAI | AEM X-Series OBD2 wide band gauge | Elite Engineering E2-X catch can | Borla S-type NPP Cat-Back 3" exhaust | Forgeline GTD1 5-lug Satin Graphite | SunTek wrap | C-Quartz Finest Reserve ceramic coated
Old 02-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
lDejavul

So the interceptor hooks directly to the pass through cable. So that's all I need to buy? Not another sensor unless I want another wideband to watch that too. How does this all hook up with the hptuner. Does that plugin first then the two gauges to that? Or would I swap that out with the interceptor?
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
Old 02-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
There’s a YouTube on how to get the wideband data i there. You should get the scanner file from pray first
Old 02-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
So the interceptor hooks directly to the pass through cable. So that's all I need to buy? Not another sensor unless I want another wideband to watch that too. How does this all hook up with the hptuner. Does that plugin first then the two gauges to that? Or would I swap that out with the interceptor?
If you want to connect the HPtuner MPVI2 to load a tune or datalog, then you'll need to disconnect the last gauge. The order is the aem wideband pass thru cable is first...it's what's connected to the cars obd2 port. Then either the gauge or hp tuner mpvi2 is connected to the pass thru.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
lDejavul

Gotcha okay. That's where I was getting hung up. So it's one or the other. So really the mpvi is for tuning or data logging while the gauges are for live data feed. Good deal. Thanks for the info. It's starting to make more sense. I might just hook up the mpvi tomorrow with the car being stock just to take a look at what I can see. Haven't gotten all my parts to start installing. Hopefully in the next month. Getting ceramic put on the headers and getting pray ported IM and TB. Waiting is the worst. I think it's harder then when I was a kid waiting for santa.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
Old 02-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
TMS

Certainly as grampa_ss stated will work. But I didn’t want to disconnect the Interceptor gauge every time I wanted to connect the MPVI2 to the OBD port. I use a splitter cable and removed the factory OBD port from under the dash and connected it to the splitter cable and then took one of the two female ports and mounted it in the factory mounting location under the dash, and the other female port on the splitter feeds the AEM gauge with the pass-through and then the Interceptor gauge connected to the pass-through. Everything is tucked up and concealed. So you effectively keep both gauges connected at all times and still have an open port in the factory location available for a scan tool or HPTuners MPVI2.

——————————
Arteckin Universal 16pin Male to Female Adapter OBD 2 Splitter Y Cable with Underdash Bracket for GPS Tracking Device

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6H2321..._zIqvCbR8P1SJV

Old 02-01-2019, 10:07 PM   #11
lDejavul

Ordered. Thanks. I was looking at using track addict or maybe even mounting a small dedicated screen for some hptuner info and really hated the idea of losing one for the other. And now I can hide all the clutter. This is perfect!
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089