Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #15
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I'm 99.9% sure those won't fit. The front's almost definitely will contact the strut without a spacer. I have the apex 19x10 et25 and have only a few mm of clearance between the wheel and the strut. Those will be about 3.4mm further in than mine. That will be very close. Good luck, I hope they work! And the rears are going to poke out of the fender quite a bit.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:15 AM   #16
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Great thread already, lots of info and pics, Thanks! Will you use a set of OEM tire pressure monitors also? I am considering some APEX wheels for my Gen 5 1LE. Curious if the sensors fit the wheels.

I am on the feeler stage of APEX's group buy of the 19x11 ET44 ARC-8/EC-7. I looked at going with a square 11" wheel in ET25, but if I trade up to a Gen 6 1LE, going with a 10.5 "front, 11"rear like yours may be a better setup, especially with an ET44 at the rear.

Edit: I see you are using the tire sensors!
Sure thing I am glad you liked it. X25 (Camaro5 forum member) had ARC 8 wheels in 19x10.5" square setup on his 14 Camaro 1LE and I don't remember he was mentioning any issue regarding to OEM TPMS sensors. He may have a better answer to that.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 AM   #17
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
So what if the Stock Forged Wheels perform better than what you replace it with?

Spending alot of money.....just because.?
well..except the fact that happens at zero times whenever you shave 7-8 lbs of rotational mass, while inducing shorter gear ratios (thanks to shorter overall height), and wrapping with an R comp tires that can basically never overheats you gain a lot ..I mean A LOT.. that's a difference you can feel at every corner if you use your brakes and tires hard .. it may or may not worth the hassle for many and I get that, but it makes a lot of sense for those who want to plan to attend many track events in one season. OEM tires are not just that good, they can't be ..they're street tires.

Keep in mind, OEM pads are prone to fade also, Randy Pobst mentioned that during the Laguna Seca Lap by Motortrend magazine. I didn't mention that I am getting Raybestos ST43 pads so R comps necessitate more aggressive tires, that can take a lot of heat easily because of the heat generated by aggressive pads. Mismatched pad/tire is a big issue, "ice mode" was not fun with my '13 C6 GS, won't make the same mistake..

I assume they will overheat easily just like RE71Rs or any other tires in that category, it simply ruins the whole track day experience because instead of focusing on driving you battle with overheating tires especially . Yes you can still set a very competitive lap time but you really need to do that soon after the warm up lap. Then they start to fall of dramatically. not for me, I will not spend my time fixing issues that are not caused by me but stupid set of tires (or whatever) especially when I am not saving anything (or even lose in some cases because of the shortened life span of the street tires that could be used for long miles on the street or auto-x)

For those who don't want to plan to attend as many events OEM might be a great alternative but as soon as you attend more events you need to start thinking about the consumables and the total cost and performance benefits of the other. Having two separate setups approach always seemed to be a better fit for my driving style. As I look at the other people who track more often I see the same thing , they simply have two sets of pads, rotors, wheel/tire combo. Each his own
Old 03-03-2017, 01:57 AM   #18
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Did you happen to talk to Apex about fitment?

I spoke with them about these sizes in January and they were not optimistic about clearance.

Hope you have good luck.
I have not I am almost sure the rears will be just fine maybe stick out a bit and I can have someone custom fit a flare for me if it bothers. For the fronts, I will see if I can do it or not I think I will be the guinea pig, wish me luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
Was going to suggest AP Racing as well, but just looked at their site and found no GM compliant components.

Quote:
Lighter weight + more front tire=win, win

Quote:
I've talked to them, concerning anything Camaro, they say buy at your own risk because they have not done their homework. Looks like the OP will have to use a spacer at the front, about 12mm or so, depending on what camber he is running. But I saw a pic here the other day of the Gen 6 front strut and with a smaller diameter setup, it may provide additional clearnce. Yes, the rears will stick out, but it should not cause any clearance issues.
Interesting because on the paper it looks like expanding only half an inch (6mm) on wheel and when moving the wheel 2mm inside should only add 4mm on the outside and about 8mm to inside not 12mm . Also overall height will be 1" shorter than OEM so I will see if it would rub anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
The bolt pattern is not quite exactly the same, they told me to always check wheel torque.
Who are they? Apex? I've seen many people used Apex wheels on both street and track on their Gen 5 , Gen 6 camaros and they all had the same bolt pattern 5X120. Am I missing anything?
Old 03-03-2017, 02:11 AM   #19
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I'm 99.9% sure those won't fit. The front's almost definitely will contact the strut without a spacer. I have the apex 19x10 et25 and have only a few mm of clearance between the wheel and the strut. Those will be about 3.4mm further in than mine. That will be very close. Good luck, I hope they work! And the rears are going to poke out of the fender quite a bit.
Hmm, I've seen your pictures . Just curious, have you ever tried fitting the OEM 1LE wheels up front? Do they fit with no issue? The reason I ask is because I am not sure if the struts are the same size with 1LE and that may be the issue.

Last edited by glamcem; 03-03-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:51 AM   #20
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Who are they? Apex? I've seen many people used Apex wheels on both street and track on their Gen 5 , Gen 6 camaros and they all had the same bolt pattern 5X120. Am I missing anything?
My apologies, it was a couple years ago, it wasn't bolt pattern, it was something about not being hub centric, I talked to Apex and one 5th gen owner about it. They recommended checking torque often, this was for a 5th Gen 1LE.
It will work, I was just told to keep on eye it.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #21
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
well..except the fact that happens at zero times whenever you shave 7-8 lbs of rotational mass, while inducing shorter gear ratios (thanks to shorter overall height), and wrapping with an R comp tires that can basically never overheats you gain a lot ..I mean A LOT.. that's a difference you can feel at every corner if you use your brakes and tires hard .. it may or may not worth the hassle for many and I get that, but it makes a lot of sense for those who want to plan to attend many track events in one season. OEM tires are not just that good, they can't be ..they're street tires.
Great response, good points.
Thanks

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #22
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Hmm, I've seen your pictures . Just curious, have you ever tried fitting the OEM 1LE wheels up front? Do they fit with no issue? The reason I ask is because I am not sure if the struts are the same size with 1LE and that may be the issue.
I have not tried fitting the 1LE wheels but they will fit. The struts are the exact same, just a different mag ride computer calibration. I'm excited to see how these might fit up. If you have a friend with a mag ride SS, you should see if he'll let you pop off one of his fronts and test fit your wheel before putting the tire on to check clearance since you don't have yours yet. Even if it does fit, getting it to fit with a track alignment will likely be impossible. Mine are tight without doing my track alignment yet. Good luck.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #23
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Wow, You got the wheels and tires before you got the car? Man, you are very anxious to get out onto track, I see.

I got the same type wheels in 19*10 et25 like Eric SS, and wrapped them with RE71Rs but still 1.5 more months wait before I can really use them.

Good luck on your fitment, and let us know how things go.
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #24
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
My apologies, it was a couple years ago, it wasn't bolt pattern, it was something about not being hub centric, I talked to Apex and one 5th gen owner about it. They recommended checking torque often, this was for a 5th Gen 1LE.
It will work, I was just told to keep on eye it.
Oh ok, no worries. I've used hub centric rings in the past and they do help on aligning the wheels when mounting on the studs but if you're really careful and center the first stud it shouldn't be a problem. For someone who change the wheels more often it wouldn't hurt of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Great response, good points.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #25
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I have not tried fitting the 1LE wheels but they will fit. The struts are the exact same, just a different mag ride computer calibration. I'm excited to see how these might fit up. If you have a friend with a mag ride SS, you should see if he'll let you pop off one of his fronts and test fit your wheel before putting the tire on to check clearance since you don't have yours yet. Even if it does fit, getting it to fit with a track alignment will likely be impossible. Mine are tight without doing my track alignment yet. Good luck.
I thought so too but just wanted to make sure if I am missing anything.
I am really surprised how tight the clearance is on these cars (vs the Gen 5 camaro) . There is about 12-14mm clearance on Gen 5 Camaros if I am not mistaken. I would never think moving the wheels about 8mm to the struts would be an issue, this will be a first

It is harder to tell from the pictures but were you able to measure the clearance? One thing to mention I saw you went with 285/35/19 that would add additional 15mm rubber on top of the 305/30/19 tires (may or may not be an issue I don't know). According to my calculations I will be only 3mm closer to the struts compared to your setup and already ordered some 3mm aluminum spacers. I will also get a 5mm if needed but I wouldn't go anything above 5mm for track use just to be on the safe side.

Speaking of the alignment, it looks like the only good option for us is to find some sort of camber plate as it will move the suspension as a whole to gain more negative camber.

I will eventually go with ZL1 1LE suspension, wheel/tire combo and if necessary ZL1 front fenders. I wouldn't be happy with camber less than -2.2 camber up front.

I will provide some pictures when car arrives here.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #26
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
Wow, You got the wheels and tires before you got the car? Man, you are very anxious to get out onto track, I see.

I got the same type wheels in 19*10 et25 like Eric SS, and wrapped them with RE71Rs but still 1.5 more months wait before I can really use them.

Good luck on your fitment, and let us know how things go.
Will do Car should arrive here early/mid next week and as soon as it arrives here it will be on the lift for test fit. Fingers crossed
Old 03-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #27
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I use this tire/wheel compare link, It takes into account the role the tire plays because the tire is wider than the wheel, and may (sometimes) be the first component to hit something:
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Here is what I found with your setup from the 1LE fronts to the 10.5" APEX wheels:
Name:  1LE tires.jpg
Views: 1923
Size:  97.1 KB

And the Rear:
Name:  17 1LE Rear 2.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  96.9 KB

You can add a spacer up front to gain back your original tire to strut clearance, about a 12mm spacer, that would then push the fronts out an additional 12mm, see below

Name:  17 1LE Front w spacer.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  97.0 KB
Old 03-05-2017, 09:52 PM   #28
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Will do Car should arrive here early/mid next week and as soon as it arrives here it will be on the lift for test fit. Fingers crossed
I think you may be the first to try a square setup on a '17 1LE. If you can, see if you can measure what your OE front tire to strut clearance is with the OE wheels.

This member is experimenting with the Z/28 front wheel (ET11):
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=22
Not much room for additional negative camber though)

Depending on how much (max) negative camber you run at the track you will need to find what kind of spacer you need to maintain a safe tire to strut gap.