Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #29
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If you plan on driving in the snow, you should probably get a set of winter tires regardless of the engine.
Agreed

Quote:
Sounds like they're a high performance all-season, which is something that I hadn't really heard of until today. I wonder what the performance trade-off will be with the F1 all-seasons vs the summer tires.
Continental Extreme Contact DWS's are high performance all seasons and have been around for at least 3 years (I have them on Bee).

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #30
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Who cares how they drive? They'll be $400/ea and perform horrible in the rain and snow. The only entity run flats benefit is GM because they can probably get away with no spare tire/jack/tire inflator kit and save money and advertised weight. It's a scam. The consumer loses. I honestly could not care less about how the car performs at a track. I drive on the street, not a race track. So does virtually everyone else on this site.

If you want drag tires or track tires, buy them separately for yourself. GM should outfit the car with proper street tires from the beginning and not make their intelligent consumers buy proper tires after they just spent $40,000 on a brand new car. You sound like a guy that'll agree with anything GM does just because it's GM
You really need to look at actual data before you say that summer tires can't perform in the rain. Some summer tires absolutely can perform in the rain with the best of them. There are completely different classes of summer tires. Also, its not like the SS got a F1 Supercar tire which is on a whole other level when it comes to driveability. Some max effort summer tires do exactly what you describe. They only perform well in dry warm conditions. This GY tire is not in that class of summer tire. They could have saved 20lbs of tire/car weight by not going with run flats and given us no spare just like last time so that's not a scam by any measure. If anything they added unnecessary weight and the worst kind, outer most edge rotational.

Having said all that I do totally agree that there should be at least 2 options for the SS. One all season and one summer. While this tire may perform just fine in the rain it has no buisness being in any kind of snow or ice and will lose a little dry/wet pavement grip in the cold (nothing like a extreme max effort summer tire though). The fact that its a run flat sucks big time as well. They are expensive, heavy, and ride like sh!t vs the same tire in a non run flat.

I think Ford and Dodge give more than 2 tire options so no idea why GM continues to only give one wheel/tire option. I personally think there should be 3 options. 1 all season, 1 mid level summer(like this one) and 1 max level summer like a GY Eagle F1 Supercar/Bridgestone Potenza RE11/BFG Rival ect. I also think you should have a choice between run flats and a spare but that's just me.

In all honesty tires and a spare will be easy to remedy. If having to replace the tires and get a spare is the least I have to do then I'm okay with that. It could be a lot worse.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #31
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
I was expecting squared 285's like on the 1LE and to go with Michelin PSS instead. But I guess GM knows their game.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #32
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Makes sense they do not want to put spare tires, jacks, inflators in the cars. That trunk lid is so small I bet a tire will not fit thru the opening!!!
Makes sense in that regard but I think it sucks. Part of the problem also is:

1. The staggered setup front/back. How would they know which spare to put in there. This said...

2. The only "spare tire" option would be a donut that should only be used long enough (at 50 mph max speed) to get you to the first tire repair place you see. Then, of course, they would have to add a jack.

3. I couldn't find the specific tire mentioned in the graphic either (F1 3 EMT) but the F1 Eagles start at $355 MSRP. That really sucks!

I'm guessing the big ol' Run On Flat fatties that come on the SS will run about $2,000 for a set of four. That's just a ridiculous baseline. And unless they have changed the technology compared to the run-flats used on modern military vehicles, once they "go flat", they cannot be repaired - they have to be replaced. Sucks.

GM should offer a "Square Setup" option on these new cars.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #33
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
I'm sure I read somewhere the ATS had no jack points on the car. Perhaps the new Camaro is the same. Why no jack points, makes no sense to me???
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #34
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Who cares how they drive? They'll be $400/ea and perform horrible in the rain and snow. The only entity run flats benefit is GM because they can probably get away with no spare tire/jack/tire inflator kit and save money and advertised weight. It's a scam. The consumer loses. I honestly could not care less about how the car performs at a track. I drive on the street, not a race track. So does virtually everyone else on this site.

If you want drag tires or track tires, buy them separately for yourself. GM should outfit the car with proper street tires from the beginning and not make their intelligent consumers buy proper tires after they just spent $40,000 on a brand new car. You sound like a guy that'll agree with anything GM does just because it's GM
How can you complain how expensive replacements are and say GM only used them to save cash on a spare/jack. I'm pretty sure that money they saved on a shitty jack and spare was spent on the more expensive run flats.

Weight savings yes.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #35
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere the ATS had no jack points on the car. Perhaps the new Camaro is the same. Why no jack points, makes no sense to me???
It had better have jack points....else I'll be using whatever point I feel works for jacking it up lol. I didn't buy a 2 ton jack for nothing.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #36
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
No jack.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 05-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #37
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
No jack.
Unless it comes with lifetime tires & brakes, every Camaro is still going to need to be jacked up from time to time.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #38
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Unless it comes with lifetime tires & brakes, every Camaro is still going to need to be jacked up from time to time.
I assumed OP was referring to the jack points below the rockers. Of course there are jack/lift points under the frame/suspension, just like now.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #39
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Michelin's Pilot Super Sport will be a much better tire option or the Bridgestone Potenza Re11
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 AM   #40
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Wait, so the LT won't receive a staggered set up if you get the RS package?
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:01 AM   #41
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
The Camaro LS and LT models will feature Eagle Sport All-Season tires in size 245/50R18 as the standard fitment, Goodyear said, and the Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season RunOnFlat in size 245/40R20.
The Camaro SS features 20-inch aluminum wheels equipped Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 RunOnFlat in sizes 245/40ZR20 (front) and 275/35ZR20 (rear).
Goodyear photoEagle Sport All Season
Both the Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season and the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 feature Goodyear’s RunOnFlat technology, which allows consumers to drive up to 50 miles on a deflating or deflated tire at a top speed of 50 mph.
There will be no LS trim in the 6thGen, BTW.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #42
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I just checked the Goodyear web site for details on the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 RunOnFlat. I am disappointed that they don't even list the tire on their web site yet. I know that it will be a few more months before the new cars are delivered to owners but you would think they would have the information available now that Chevy is taking orders for the cars. Hopefully Goodyear will have the tires available in their outlets when the cars start shipping. It would be a pain if your only source of tires is a dealership if you are one of the unlucky few to have a tire problem with the new car.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote