Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #15
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
But if they prolong engine life wouldn’t Chevy WANT to install them to save cost in warranty repairs?

The factory does a lot of things for a lot of reasons...tons of them have nothing at all to with making things the "Best". That's why 3yr/36k is the basic warranty.

Ok so last post on catch cans, cause like I said, they are no big deal. And even though I have one, I'm not sure how much it matters. But forget all the rumor and hearsay... bottom line is this, oil gets into the intake through the stock plumbing. That's a fact. And it's preventable for less than the cost of an oil change.

What one chooses to do about that, is up to them. Any 'mod' or aftermarket part/accessory can void warranty if GM decides so. Anything. So choose wisely.

Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #16
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Question about these oil catch cans. If they are better for the engine why doesn’t Chevy install them at the factory? Most will probably say “cost”. But if they prolong engine life wouldn’t Chevy WANT to install them to save cost in warranty repairs?
Simple. It would require customers to drain it and your.aveeage person barley knows how to pick the correct fuel foe their cars.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #17
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
your.aveeage person barley knows how to pick the correct fuel foe their cars.
Or spell, for that matter.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #18
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I have nothing against catch cans, I simply don’t know much about them. It just frustrates me when a car is manufactured without simple safeguards that could save customers money in the long run. So, if these catch cans are worth installing I want to know so that I can be proactive in preventing costly damage to my engine. So, are they? Or is the verdict still out on the effectiveness of them?
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #19
Zaqwert6

Quote:
I have nothing against catch cans, I simply don’t know much about them. It just frustrates me when a car is manufactured without simple safeguards that could save customers money in the long run. So, if these catch cans are worth installing I want to know so that I can be proactive in preventing costly damage to my engine. So, are they? Or is the verdict still out on the effectiveness of them?

Tons of Youtube vids showing they keep the valves cleaner than without one. And they catch oil that would otherwise vent back into the manifold and into the valves, So yes, they do exactly as they intend. Wanna find out for yourself? Pull the line off that the can interfaces and see if you have oil residue in there. Quick release hose, will take you 30 seconds to find out on your own.

Costly damage? I don't think anyone is claiming that at all. It's a simple additional step that benefits the cleanliness of your engine.

The factory DOES have a separator system stock. Simple safe guard, check.

#1 it doesn't cover the entire vent system and #2 it dumps collected (dirty) back into the oil pan. While neither of these is ideal, it's takes maintenance of the system out of the hands of the owner. That would be worse by far.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #20
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
CaSS- The car DOES have oil vapors from the factory for the LT1. There are 2 one on each bank.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #21
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Installed catch cans on my previous two Camaros. I haven't put one on my ZL1 because the install is more complicated and does require modification of the PVC system (warranty is more important to me than catching blow-by).

I also HAD a catch can on my 2015 Silverado but removed it. In the winter, it would fill up with condensation and I was having to empty it every 2 weeks. Try emptying a catch can in sub-zero temperatures. Not fun. Expecting your elderly parents to check the catch can on their car every two weeks during the cold months is pretty unrealistic. From my experience, maintenance is probably the number one reason a catch can isn't installed from the factory.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #22
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Installed catch cans on my previous two Camaros. I haven't put one on my ZL1 because the install is more complicated and does require modification of the PVC system (warranty is more important to me than catching blow-by).

I also HAD a catch can on my 2015 Silverado but removed it. In the winter, it would fill up with condensation and I was having to empty it every 2 weeks. Try emptying a catch can in sub-zero temperatures. Not fun. Expecting your elderly parents to check the catch can on their car every two weeks during the cold months is pretty unrealistic. From my experience, maintenance is probably the number one reason a catch can isn't installed from the factory.
I added a simple catch can to my wife's high mileage GMC Acadia with the 3.6 because it was filling up the intake with oily condensation. To the point of sucking it into the throttle body and causing limp mode in winter. The dealership just attributed it to high mileage. You're right, what a PITA in the winter to deal with the catch can. So I did some digging and found there is what I'll call a "dummy" PCV fitting on the opposite valve cover. the two small ports in the fitting that control crankcase pressure were fouled with baked on oil deposits. I cleaned them out and made them slightly larger, and removed the catch can. No more condensation in the intake. Maybe something to look into on Camaro motors, too?
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #23
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
We have years of data both from our Engineers, and independent testing. One of those tests took place over a 2 year period with a fleet of new GDI vehicles. The goal was to find a solution to LSPI caused piston failures.

We share this and more as asked. First, catchcans internal designs vary from only trapping 15% of the vapors you want to stop still allowing most to be ingested, to the 40-50% of the better designs. We use on our E2-X series a patented design proven to trap 95% plus of these, and there is no equal. Combine that with full time evacuation vs part time of 99% of all others, and it is a complete system.

As for the factory, many long term members of Camaro5 & 6 should remember years ago when GM officials claimed they were not needed as they did not have any of the well known issues, yet as most now know, they have included these standard on the camaro....but ONLY for the clean/fresh side of the PCV system, and as mentioned above, they return the oil saturated with harmful contaminants back to the crankcase, which is not good seeing as it is a mix on average of 70% water and acids, 23% raw unburnt fuel (diluting the oils viscosity and ability to protect), and 7% is actually oil, and that is filled with abrasive particulate matter.

Why don't automakers include complete systems? 99.9% would NOT maintain them, and that leads to problems. And of course cost. And warranties? Most automakers have dropped engine warranties down from a industry average of 100,000 miles to 60, 50, 36k miles for all GDI engines. The reason? To shield themselves from the long term liability due to the inherent issues of GDI engines. So as far as costs, the industry has already addressed this and taken the steps they need, and the consumers? Surprisingly most remain unaware of this and it appears few complained about warranty periods cut in half or more.

Now, what are the advantages of most cans? Stopping a part of the ingestion causing coking and other issues such as knock retard, etc. Elite? As we were a player way back at the beginning of these, we have continued to improve and develop complete systems to address all aspects of the need for one, and aside from the obvious trapping almost all of the substances your want stopped, we also keep your engine oil cleaner longer and this can double or more your engine life as this oil analysis shows here. These long term field tester is now at over 16k miles on this oil change and sends the sample off to the lab every 2k miles on average. The next will be at 20k miles. Please note the comments made by the lab tech:

So, combine all else our systems designed for today's GDI engines they will prevent up to 85% of valve coking (remember GM for years claimed they had none of this until repair shops across the country started sharing pictures), keeps oil clean for 2-3 times the use of non equipped, and an unexpected benefit is 8-10% fuel economy increase. How does MPG improve? By eliminating most of the vapors that cause knock retard, the engine stays at optimum timing advance so far more efficient than when timing is pulled to stop knock. The proof? Just finishing equipping over 150 light trucks in a fleet....they first tested and validated these benefits before making that move.

And as we always do, we still have the open challenge anyone can conduct to test and see first hand just how much more effective this patented design is. Email us direct at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com for more, and to match the correct system for your vehicle.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #24
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post

I had a can on my 16 Camaro SS and took it off for a similar reason. When the temp dropped into single digits the can filled in less than a week. I emptied it and checked again in 5 days and it was full of milky water again so I took it off and changed the oil.

The oil reeked like gasoline so I’m convinced the crank case wasn't venting because the can was too full. I’ll never run a can again.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #25
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The can was doing it's job. What you were seeing is unburnt fuel and water (products of cumbustion) which blew by the rings (probably when the engine was cold). This stuff, along with the oil vapor, gets sucked into your engine. In fairness, it was probably exaggerated because the cold weather was allowing everything to condense easier.

Just because you took the can off doesn't mean this normal cycle is no longer occurring. It means you don't have to deal with it as all of it is going back into the engine again.

Want to make life easy? Drill and tap the can so you can put a valve in it and run a clear poly hose down to the ground. All you have to open the valve to drain it.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #26
Zaqwert6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
The can was doing it's job. What you were seeing is unburnt fuel and water (products of cumbustion) which blew by the rings (probably when the engine was cold). This stuff, along with the oil vapor, gets sucked into your engine. In fairness, it was probably exaggerated because the cold weather was allowing everything to condense easier.

Just because you took the can off doesn't mean this normal cycle is no longer occurring. It means you don't have to deal with it as all of it is going back into the engine again.

Want to make life easy? Drill and tap the can so you can put a valve in it and run a clear poly hose down to the ground. All you have to open the valve to drain it.

Mine comes that way stock.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #27
nystyle246

Drives: camaro 1SS
l got the one from ebay $18.00

nystyle246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #28
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystyle246 View Post
l got the one from ebay $18.00

I do hope this works for you, but if not, we're always here. I just know, some of these cheap imported Catch Cans aren't worth their postage in shipping.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote