Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
knock retard with headers

Has anyone with headers and mid pipes adjusted the knock sensor? I have been running the stock ignition map since adding the headers and always get knock on WOT. A/F is right on 12.5 so i have to assume this is vibrations transmitted thru the exhaust. typically its showing 1-3 degrees of retard. Any useful insight?
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
KonigWolf

Drives: 2016 2SS A8
I had random knocks after headers/x-pipe. Talked with a few people an came to the conclusion that the LT1s are a bit noisier than the previous L99.

Adjust the recovery rate, so if it is false knock, it adds the timing back sooner and the threshold tables, so they aren't as sensitive (Cyl1 - Cyl8)

[ECM] 12744 - Knock Retard Recovery Rate: This is the rate at which knock retard is removed in the absence of further knock. The higher this value is the faster knock retard will be removed.

Knock Sensor Threshold Mult Cyl1: Multiplies knock sensor threshold when not in transient mode.
Attached Images

DIY Hpt Tune - DR - 1.75-60' - 7.47@95 - 11.56@120 with +2676DA
KonigWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonigWolf View Post
I had random knocks after headers/x-pipe. Talked with a few people an came to the conclusion that the LT1s are a bit noisier than the previous L99.

Adjust the recovery rate, so if it is false knock, it adds the timing back sooner and the threshold tables, so they aren't as sensitive (Cyl1 - Cyl8)

[ECM] 12744 - Knock Retard Recovery Rate: This is the rate at which knock retard is removed in the absence of further knock. The higher this value is the faster knock retard will be removed.

Knock Sensor Threshold Mult Cyl1: Multiplies knock sensor threshold when not in transient mode.
thanks man this is exactly what i was looking for, i will put in the numbers and give it a shot. ive been trying to put a little more timing in it but the engine hates anything over 21-22 degrees

Last edited by Joey Soul; 09-27-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
It should take the timing after you make the adjustments to the tables pictured above. The knock sensor level table is the sensitivity.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
It should take the timing after you make the adjustments to the tables pictured above. The knock sensor level table is the sensitivity.
oh ok cool. thanks
Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Be careful DI motors don't need more timing unless you run race fuel or E

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Be careful DI motors don't need more timing unless you run race fuel or E

Ted.
im still running 93 because the limited e85 stations around me. About what is the max you wouldnt recommend going past? ive only tuned my frs before this and i was running 28-30 degrees at WOT but that engine also has direct and port inj.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
im still running 93 because the limited e85 stations around me. About what is the max you wouldnt recommend going past? ive only tuned my frs before this and i was running 28-30 degrees at WOT but that engine also has direct and port inj.
You said it above
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
KonigWolf

Drives: 2016 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post

The stock spark tables really aren't that bad for 93, I didn't add much timing to mine before switching to E85 full time, so I'm not sure what the limits are. You might be better off adjusting the parameters that dictate total timing so the ECU has more freedom to add timing on its own as it deems needed//acceptable. EX: Humidity, IAT, and ECT tables.

Something to be mindful of that just because a car will take more timing doesn't mean it's making more power.

EX: https://youtu.be/m-Sj8WkWH6E?t=2m52s

DIY Hpt Tune - DR - 1.75-60' - 7.47@95 - 11.56@120 with +2676DA
KonigWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #10
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You said it above
spot on thanks. im at 24 degrees no knock and working my way up.

Quote:
The stock spark tables really aren't that bad for 93, I didn't add much timing to mine before switching to E85 full time, so I'm not sure what the limits are. You might be better off adjusting the parameters that dictate total timing so the ECU has more freedom to add timing on its own as it deems needed//acceptable. EX: Humidity, IAT, and ECT tables.

Something to be mindful of that just because a car will take more timing doesn't mean it's making more power.

EX: https://youtu.be/m-Sj8WkWH6E?t=2m52s
I gave the video a look, funny looks like he is tuning a frs/brz from the interior. When i went turbo on mine i was around 17-18 degrees timing as well lol. But i know what you mean by getting the total timing. Ive zeroed my general operating zones on most tables so that only the cam table and main table are in play in safe conditions. I just going off the butt dyno for now. Next season ill throw it on the dyno again after a few more pieces of hardware and dial it in perfectly.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
24 degrees is about where you want to be on 93.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #12
the highlander

Drives: C5 Z06 LS7
Quote:

Increasing the Knock Retard rate at this level makes the knock sensors COMPLETELY USELESS!
the highlander is offline   Reply With Quote