Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 AM   #1
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE vs 6th.gen ZL1

Has anyone upgraded from a 6th gen SS 1LE to the 6th gen ZL1? Which has been your driving experience? As a DD spirited driving? On the track? Fun factor? Do you miss something from your prior SS 1LE?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The SS will impress you. The ZL1 will make you laugh.

You'll understand once you've driven both.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The SS will impress you. The ZL1 will make you laugh.

You'll understand once you've driven both.
Yes, I would expect this with a 200hp difference.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I didn't own a 6th Gen SS. But I did have a 5th Gen SS with full bolt-ons. After I signed for my 17 ZL1 I asked the salesman (my good friend) if I could drive a 17 SS that was on the lot just to see how a 6th Gen feels. So they let me drive a M6 17 1SS. Compared to my FBO 5th Gen the 6th Gen did feel slightly faster but not by much and not enough to impress or wow me. But when I test drove the ZL1 when it arrived, well that did wow me. So if I can explain it, the SS is nice but if you're used to 400ish hp it won't rock your world. The ZL1 WILL rock your world.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Bosse'sBoss

Seems like almost no one has upgraded from their 6th. SS 1LE to a ZL1. Probably very happy with their SS 1LE or an upgrade to a ZL1 is out of their budget
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 01-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Seems like almost no one has upgraded from their 6th. SS 1LE to a ZL1. Probably very happy with their SS 1LE or an upgrade to a ZL1 is out of their budget
Can't justify the power and not being able to stretch the legs of the ZL1 enough. I know I can have fun with the SS 1LE, but I can't justify the level of the ZL1. I think the SS 1LE strikes a nice balance, handling of the ZL1 or better, with engine of the SS.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I went from SS 1LE to ZL1 1LE.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:54 AM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Can't justify the power and not being able to stretch the legs of the ZL1 enough. I know I can have fun with the SS 1LE, but I can't justify the level of the ZL1. I think the SS 1LE strikes a nice balance, handling of the ZL1 or better, with engine of the SS.
Seems like the ZL1 is the perfect weapon but at the same time could be an overkill for the street, making the SS 1LE sufficient for spirited driving an occasional tracking.
And the ZL1 1LE a track monster, not very practical for Street driving.
6th. generation Camaro the best Camaro ever
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 01-15-2018, 06:07 AM   #9
Bosse'sBoss

Apparently both share the same wheel and tires sizes, and the magnetic suspension, probably the SS 1LE would have a more balanced F/R weight distribution without the weight of the S.C.
I think that the SS 1LE is close in performance to the Corvette Stingray Z51. And the ZL1 it's a better performance car compared to the actual Corvette Z06.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

The ZL1 is not overkill for the street at all. If you drive it normally then it will be very well behaved. You will have plenty of opportunities to do spirited driving. And plus even within the limits of the law there is a huge difference between 455 HP and 650 HP. That extra power under your foot will feel amazing. It is always there. Even if you just blip the throttle you get a quick lunge forward and will be instantly into boost. If you can afford the ZL1, then go for it.

And like I said, my 5th Gen FBO SS was on par with a stock 6th Gen SS. And I was not really thrilled by the SS performance. The ZL1 tho, it was a completely different animal. I still can't believe how fast this thing is. You won't regret it.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
Bosse'sBoss

6th. Gen ZL1, the perfect american sport car. Next year it would compete with the Shelby GT500. I'm anxious to see that challenge.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 01-17-2018, 11:58 PM   #12
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
One reason I didn't look at the ZL1 was that I felt like 100 mph already came up too soon in the SS. The Savage Goose guy mentioned this in his ZL1 1LE review. However, I certainly don't fault anyone for wanting the extra power. It's the American way.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The ZL1 is not overkill for the street at all. If you drive it normally then it will be very well behaved. You will have plenty of opportunities to do spirited driving. And plus even within the limits of the law there is a huge difference between 455 HP and 650 HP. That extra power under your foot will feel amazing. It is always there. Even if you just blip the throttle you get a quick lunge forward and will be instantly into boost. If you can afford the ZL1, then go for it.

And like I said, my 5th Gen FBO SS was on par with a stock 6th Gen SS. And I was not really thrilled by the SS performance. The ZL1 tho, it was a completely different animal. I still can't believe how fast this thing is. You won't regret it.
I completely agree. Most people know you get used to the power relatively quick and I wish I could have bought a ZL-1. For me, money was the issue. If I can remember correctly I walked out the door with my 1SS for $38k. Even the 1LE’s were a tad out of my price range(at that time). I wanted the SS as cheap as I could get it so my payments would be manageable. Which they are and then some(I’m paying under $250 a month). But I really wish I could’ve gotten the ZL-1. So like you said, I would recommend to anyone, if you can afford it, absolutely get the ZL-1.

But don’t get me wrong, I still love this ****ing car lol and I will make it faster once I’m out of the warranty.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt ss View Post
I completely agree. Most people know you get used to the power relatively quick and I wish I could have bought a ZL-1. For me, money was the issue. If I can remember correctly I walked out the door with my 1SS for $38k. Even the 1LE’s were a tad out of my price range(at that time). I wanted the SS as cheap as I could get it so my payments would be manageable. Which they are and then some(I’m paying under $250 a month). But I really wish I could’ve gotten the ZL-1. So like you said, I would recommend to anyone, if you can afford it, absolutely get the ZL-1.

But don’t get me wrong, I still love this ****ing car lol and I will make it faster once I’m out of the warranty.
Pay off your SS and then trade in when the 7th Gen ZL1 comes out!! Or pay it down, build some equity into it, and then trade for one in 2 years! Either way you'll be in one soon enough. And believe it or not, but you will miss your SS once you get into a ZL1. I still miss my 2010 SS...