Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


JUICEDMOTORSPORTS


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
gmcvt
 
gmcvt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tn
Posts: 438
Well...this could be concerning...oil analysis

Any of you peeps that get an oil analysis seen any iron numbers that astronomically high?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 19 CAMARO SS-210130.pdf (17.4 KB, 125 views)
__________________
"Jesus said to them: I am the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6
2019 Camaro 1SS A10 New Era cat delete/E85/Pray tuned/ported IM/TB.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
thescreensavers

 
thescreensavers's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 778
no beuno. Id half your oil change interval and resample.

Id also call up Joe Gibbs and speak to Lakespeed since you are using their motor oil for some insight, dont forget to mention your mods.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
gmcvt
 
gmcvt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tn
Posts: 438
Thats exactly what Blackstone wants me to do. And your suggestion to call Lake Speed is a good idea also, I spoke with him about a year ago, super cool guy.
__________________
"Jesus said to them: I am the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6
2019 Camaro 1SS A10 New Era cat delete/E85/Pray tuned/ported IM/TB.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #4
WhiteMale
 
Drives: 18 SS 1LE / 21 ZL1 on order
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: MO
Posts: 199
Ultimately what's the outcome here? Chevy isn't going to do anything about your oil analysis and just wait it out til it grenades? But I concur, a repeat test on your next fill and I'd let it be until then.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
gmcvt
 
gmcvt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tn
Posts: 438
As someone who has worked for a dealership for 20 years, I do not disagree with you said. I am simply curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this. My warranty would most likely be void anyway because of my mods. So this isn't really about what Chevy would or would not do.
__________________
"Jesus said to them: I am the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6
2019 Camaro 1SS A10 New Era cat delete/E85/Pray tuned/ported IM/TB.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
WhiteMale
 
Drives: 18 SS 1LE / 21 ZL1 on order
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: MO
Posts: 199
I wasn't asking per se YOU but what's some else to do...honest curiosity to what end the analysis really serves. Too I now read your mods and you're not in the warranty bracket
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #7
thescreensavers

 
thescreensavers's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I wasn't asking per se YOU but what's some else to do...honest curiosity to what end the analysis really serves. Too I now read your mods and you're not in the warranty bracket
If you do enough analysis to get your motor's "trends" then you can see if there is a sudden uptick in wear material. In theory you could catch an issue before for example it throws out a rod.

You can read through blackstones newsletters to gain some insight. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/info...n/newsletters/


Personally I only use it for fun and/or to see if I could extend my oil intervals based on wear,viscosity, and TBN.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
gmcvt
 
gmcvt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tn
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I wasn't asking per se YOU but what's some else to do...honest curiosity to what end the analysis really serves. Too I now read your mods and you're not in the warranty bracket
Indeed...
__________________
"Jesus said to them: I am the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6
2019 Camaro 1SS A10 New Era cat delete/E85/Pray tuned/ported IM/TB.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:47 AM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!
 
Gunkk's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 3,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
Any of you peeps that get an oil analysis seen any iron numbers that astronomically high?
Not me, but my car is stock. You can see my Blackstone test results here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9823700


On the bright side...

Lead is zero: so no bearing wear.
Titanium is zero: so no valve wear.

So it seems to me like it's possible your oil went acidic and/or got overheated and started to eat mostly iron, plus aluminum and copper to a lesser extent. Which makes sense for something that goes corrosive. It's going to eat what it touches, which is mostly iron, aluminum, and copper (in the oil coolers?).

Follow the above advice, and increase the oil change frequency. Oh and I'd suggest that you consider swapping out that Driven DI40 0W/40 for something more mainstream that has a nice high TBN to start. Driven's website is surprisingly absent any specs whatsoever. "viscosity typical of a 0w40" is all it says. IMO, race oils are designed to last a race with engines that are expected to be frequently rebuilt. I wouldn't be surprised if the Driven oil TBN is "1" (or "0") straight out of the bottle. But you may want to reach out to them directly to get their input, because your #'s certainly aren't what they're advertising here: https://drivenracingoil.com/c-138934...tion-oils.html

Last edited by Gunkk; 02-14-2021 at 04:41 AM.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #10
gmcvt
 
gmcvt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tn
Posts: 438
Dang, thank you for that analysis. Very insightful. I've already decided to switch to either Mobil1 or Penzoil Platinum and will do so at the recommended mileage. I dont think any overheating happened, this car is driven like a grandpa most all of the time and does more sitting than driving. I do run E85 exclusively and my catch can is always full of a homologation of something between what appears to be milky oil and possibly some corn.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Not me, but my car is stock. You can see my Blackstone test results here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9823700


On the bright side...

Lead is zero: so no bearing wear.
Titanium is zero: so no valve wear.

So it seems to me like it's possible your oil went acidic and/or got overheated and started to eat mostly iron, plus aluminum and copper to a lesser extent. Which makes sense for something that goes corrosive. It's going to eat what it touches, which is mostly iron, aluminum, and copper (in the oil coolers?).


Follow the above advice, and increase the oil change frequency. Oh and I'd suggest that you consider swapping out that Driven DI40 0W/40 for something more mainstream that has a nice high TBN to start. Driven's website is surprisingly absent any specs whatsoever. "viscosity typical of a 0w40" is all it says. IMO, race oils are designed to last a race with engines that are expected to be frequently rebuilt. I wouldn't be surprised if the Driven oil TBN is "1" (or "0") straight out of the bottle. But you may want to reach out to them directly to get their input, because your #'s certainly aren't what they're advertising here: https://drivenracingoil.com/c-138934...tion-oils.html
__________________
"Jesus said to them: I am the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6
2019 Camaro 1SS A10 New Era cat delete/E85/Pray tuned/ported IM/TB.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #11
Chutzpah

 
Chutzpah's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 VERT & 2012 5.0 M6
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
Dang, thank you for that analysis. Very insightful. I've already decided to switch to either Mobil1 or Penzoil Platinum and will do so at the recommended mileage. I dont think any overheating happened, this car is driven like a grandpa most all of the time and does more sitting than driving. I do run E85 exclusively and my catch can is always full of a homologation of something between what appears to be milky oil and possibly some corn.
I recently had higher than average iron on my stang, w/1900 miles and a year on Pennzoil ultra platinum. Just like you, the car does more sitting than driving (outside). However, I do drive the car pretty hard, after warm up . There are occasions when it needs to be moved, but hasnít been warmed up. In my case, I believe this is the cause of the high iron (condensation). Going with this thought process, Iím not moving the car unless I plan on a 20 minute ride.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
gmcvt
 
gmcvt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tn
Posts: 438
Hmm, that is interesting. When I drive mine, its gonna be for at least 20 minutes, it just doesn't see much in the way of RPM's. I was admonished by a couple of guys on M6G when I had my 5.0 about this grandpa driving disposition of mine.


QUOTE=Chutzpah;10955979]I recently had higher than average iron on my stang, w/1900 miles and a year on Pennzoil ultra platinum. Just like you, the car does more sitting than driving (outside). However, I do drive the car pretty hard, after warm up . There are occasions when it needs to be moved, but hasnít been warmed up. In my case, I believe this is the cause of the high iron (condensation). Going with this thought process, Iím not moving the car unless I plan on a 20 minute ride.[/QUOTE]
__________________
"Jesus said to them: I am the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6
2019 Camaro 1SS A10 New Era cat delete/E85/Pray tuned/ported IM/TB.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #13
cellsafemode


 
cellsafemode's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 3,314
the oil seems to be on the higher side of viscosity ... for a car that is seeing mostly cold starts when it is started, wouldn't that also lead to significantly higher engine wear than what a lower viscosity oil would have ? also factoring in the lower temps lately where the op lives and that it basically was still in it's break-in period.

(edit, not suggesting something labeled lower, but a different 0w40 that actually measures lower)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #14
DaveC113

 
DaveC113's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 1,010
Water in oil from not getting it hot enough frequently enough... gotta drive it like you stole it on a frequent basis!
__________________
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.