Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-23-2017, 02:48 AM   #1
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
DBA T3 5000 rotor ring fitment on OEM 1LE hats and some track data

I've finally received my DBA T3 5000 rotor ring(driver side) that I ordered to test fit with the OEM hats. I also ordered a Klutch 5-80 lb/ft torque wrench since the required torque spec is only 9.6 lb/ft.
Although the rotors were not listed as compatible with our Camaros, I figured it'd be my turn to be a guinea pig

X25 gave me the idea of testing those with my 1LE OEM hats since he had them at some point and his C7 Z06 brakes and our 6 piston 1LE Brembo brakes have the same caliper and rotor sizes (with different hats of course). We figured there is a good possibility of them having the same drive pin specs/fitment and it may be worth trying.

https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-seri...2FCorvette+Hat

Part numbers are as follows:
DBA52770.1LS
DBA52770.1RS

Nordlock M14 washers for front (optional see below)

Important :For those who are planning to replace the rotors, please keep in mind that these are torque to yield bolts and it's advised to use new bolts at each service. I used lock washers and torqued them to 90 lb/ft but will also order new set of bolts for the next change. Please refer to guidelines and DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

As you can see in the below image drive pin holes matched perfectly and so that I removed the OEM hat to install the DBA rotor ring. And success!

Before the track event, I weighed the OEM front rotors at 27.5 lbs and 27.3lbs after that (OEM ring =24.6lbs hat,nuts,bolts, shims=2.7lbs) which means the OEM ring before the track use should be at around 24.8lbs (give or take)
DBA ring on the other hand is 23.5lbs, 1.3lbs of rotational mass may not be that much but considering the fact that these cost about the same as the OEM rotors and DBA rotors are known for their durability and rotor life, I figured I can try them. I also don't mind changing the rings on the OEM hat as each new rings comes with new set of nuts. I will go ahead and order the other side and start running them before the next week.

Before I decided to try the DBAs , I also considered Girodisc but they didn't offer OEM replacement rings or OEM size 2 piece rotors for 6th Gen Camaro yet. I also found the initial cost of the Racing Brake rotors a bit too much ($1200 for front rotors and $1000 for the rear and $600 for replacement rings).

I test fitted them on the car also

Before putting the knuckle/caliper bolts I put Nordlock washers and torqued them to 90lb/ft. I had to remove the MRC sensors from its brackets to be able to fit the torque wrench in there (see in the 2nd picture)

Last edited by glamcem; 06-14-2017 at 12:49 PM.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
This is really awesome. THANK YOU for posting this, I was thinking about these same rings and although the math for these being the same as a C7Z is there, I wanted to see it too! I had DBA's for my C7, and they were great. WOW! That's awesome.

Guess I'm buying a torque wrench too, new tool!

Thanks glamcem!

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Good news - thx for posting. Since there are no official 1LE fitments specified, how did you go about ordering the right size? Sorry if I am missing something obvious here. Thx!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Good news - thx for posting. Since there are no official 1LE fitments specified, how did you go about ordering the right size? Sorry if I am missing something obvious here. Thx!
The brakes from the SS 1LE are the same part numbers as the C7 Z06 vette.

Yeah, there is no clear way to find that (took me awhile too just to verify brake pads lol)...

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
jayman33

Drives: 2011 with many go fast parts
Do you have the part number on the DBA?

Fantastic write up as well, great job!!
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
This is really awesome. THANK YOU for posting this, I was thinking about these same rings and although the math for these being the same as a C7Z is there, I wanted to see it too! I had DBA's for my C7, and they were great. WOW! That's awesome.

Guess I'm buying a torque wrench too, new tool!

Thanks glamcem!
You're welcome

Quote:
Sure. As devnull mentioned they're the C7 Z06 (iron disc non Z07) rotor rings. X25 sent me the link at KNSBRAKES

https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-seri...2FCorvette+Hat

Part numbers are as follows:
DBA52770.1LS
DBA52770.1RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
Do you have the part number on the DBA?

Fantastic write up as well, great job!!
Thanks, Please see above reply. I will also update the OP, thanks for reminding

For those who are planning to replace the rotors, please keep in mind that these are torque to yield bolts and it's advised to use new bolts at each service. I used lock washers and torqued them to 90 lb/ft but will also order new set of bolts for the next change.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Thanks for doing this! Sounds like the price is not much better, but we get an unsprung weight savings. Is this correct?
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Thanks for posting all the info - that's super!
Any feedback on Trofeos yet (ya, ya I know: off the subject )
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
FoCoCamaro

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE (Krypton Green)
Very nice. Although not needed from a performance standpoint, what would the correct part be for the rears? That way they would match and thus satisfy the OCD side of my brain.
FoCoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #10
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
What's the purpose of the special washers?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
What's the purpose of the special washers?
They prevent the bolts from backing out.

Also these seem more expensive than OEM or am I missing something?
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #12
glamcem

Quote:
Thanks for posting all the info - that's super!
Any feedback on Trofeos yet (ya, ya I know: off the subject )
Sure. I already had a chance to use them once at the last event (Ridge) but couldn't really heat them up and than the session was over, it was an awful track event that day. I will have a lot more time to compare each other as I am bringing both sets with me for the April 29th event (at ORP). I'll report back next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCoCamaro View Post
Very nice. Although not needed from a performance standpoint, what would the correct part be for the rears? That way they would match and thus satisfy the OCD side of my brain.
They don't offer the OEM replacement rings for the rears but you may look into other alternatives like Racing Brakes. Last time I checked there were about 14 lbs for the rear (vs 18 lbs OEM). The problem with the rears however they last forever and I am not sure when I can benefit from spending that much on brakes assuming they outlast or last as much as the OEM rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
They prevent the bolts from backing out.

Also these seem more expensive than OEM or am I missing something?
Yes, they are but I will use them again since I don't necessarily have to over torque them like required (90 lb/ft and 60 degree or something) to stretch them. I've looked at mine and they didn't seem bad. I will order some OEM ones but highly doubt they will be ever needed

Old 04-24-2017, 12:43 AM   #13
glamcem

People seem to be happy with DBA 4000 series (and when matched with ST43s) on C5 Corvettes , lighter car of course but 5000 series are supposedly better/more robust than the 4000s so I wonder how they would do on the newer Camaro.

Here's a good read on Corvette forums for those might be interested:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594387817
Old 04-24-2017, 12:45 AM   #14
TrackReady1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Very good news indeed, and a great answer to a thread i posted a couple weeks ago, I will have to put a link of this thread into mine. Looking forward to hearing how they do
TrackReady1LE is offline   Reply With Quote