Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #57
10efra

Drives: 1 Lt 3.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker1968 View Post
Looks awesome!! How much did you throw into this ?
10efra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #58
lt.kubosh

Drives: Dodge Nitro R/T
Hi,
awesome car. Awesome tuning.

It is interesting to hear that engine internals seems to handle the gain well. How many miles you did with it?
You have automatic transmission right? If so it would be 8L45, how does this handle the extra torque? I thought going from naturally aspirated to turbo you move the torque curve to low RPM and that's always problem for clutch or transmission.

Thanks
lt.kubosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #59
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker1968 View Post
Ok here it is, I had WeaponX Motorsports Blake send me over copy of Dyno.
You asked how your car would compare to an SS...if you haven't raced one yet to find out, here's my thoughts on that:

Your peak numbers are good, but something that no one pointed out is how steep the hp curve is. A steep hp curve means the average hp throughout the higher rpm rev range used in a race is lower compared to a fairly flat curve in an SS, and thus, overall acceleration will be slower. Notice that at 4800 rpm your car is making only 275 rwhp, while a Camaro SS at 4800 rpm makes about 340 rwhp. At 5000 rpm an SS makes about 360 rwhp while your engine is making at most 300 rwhp, but likely more like 290-295 rwhp based on your curve.

An SS makes about the same amount of power at 5500 as it does at 6000 rpm (around 390-400 rwhp) but even though the peak number is lower, would likely have a higher average hp over the rev range than your engine's very steep curve.

What this means is that an SS will likely accelerate quicker than your procharged V6 since it has a flatter high rpm hp curve and thus, higher average hp.

This flat high hp curve is also why the Ford 5.0 Coyote V8 paired with an A10 transmission runs so darn well. That engine breathes well up top and paired with a close ratio transmissions, pulls hard up top really consistently.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:49 AM   #60
Street Lethal
Tech Anarchist

Drives: GM F-Body's
Let me help place things into perspective for you...

Quote:
1st pull - 8/3/20 stock with CAI and muffler delete - 253 TQ 304 RWHP 5th gear base pull

2nd pull - 8/7/20 Procharger, they custom tuned it 336 TQ 433 RWHP
An increase from 304-RWHP to 433-RWHP is a 43% increase in horsepower, which means he was making only 6-psi of boost pressure during the dyno tuning in his case. A 70% increase in power would be 10-psi of boost pressure, which equates to an additional 212-RWHP making a total of 516-RWHP. 15-psi of boost pressure equates to a 100% increase in power, so now he will realize close to, if not over 608-RWHP. The only thing stopping him at this point is the need for more fuel and forged pistons at this point. Now, I hope this answers the questions as to why he went with a boosted V6, as well as how he would do against an SS Camaro. More power is merely a blower pulley, and/or crank pulley away, not to mention excellent street manners and gas mileage. The guy may be 52 years old, and sadly I am not too far away from him being in my 40's now, but the argument of V8 vs anything else is what is ancient, as well as obsolete. There are naturally aspirated four banger Honda's running in the nines today, so a V8 SS Camaro running 11's is nothing to cheer about...

- Rob
Street Lethal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #61
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
Let me help place things into perspective for you...

An increase from 304-RWHP to 433-RWHP is a 43% increase in horsepower, which means he was making only 6-psi of boost pressure during the dyno tuning in his case. A 70% increase in power would be 10-psi of boost pressure, which equates to an additional 212-RWHP making a total of 516-RWHP. 15-psi of boost pressure equates to a 100% increase in power, so now he will realize close to, if not over 608-RWHP. The only thing stopping him at this point is the need for more fuel and forged pistons at this point. Now, I hope this answers the questions as to why he went with a boosted V6, as well as how he would do against an SS Camaro. More power is merely a blower pulley, and/or crank pulley away, not to mention excellent street manners and gas mileage. The guy may be 52 years old, and sadly I am not too far away from him being in my 40's now, but the argument of V8 vs anything else is what is ancient, as well as obsolete. There are naturally aspirated four banger Honda's running in the nines today, so a V8 SS Camaro running 11's is nothing to cheer about...

- Rob
While you have some valid points, regarding the amount of horsepower that is being wrung out of smaller engines, in recent years, it still comes down to the fact that you can add the same upgrades to a stock SS and, again, be light years ahead of the V6.

Yes, we can upgrade our V6s to the point that they will compete, of even smoke a stock V8, but it comes at a very steep price, especially if you plan on retaining any of the stock reliability.

As far as the 4 banger Hondas, I have a good friend who ran a 9.0 in his boosted B16 civic, 10+ years ago. He was also into it probably double what I'm into my V6, and was stuck with a purpose built drag car, which was worth nothing anywhere other than the drag strip. There is always give and take, when it comes to pushing performance.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #62
fuzzum111

Drives: 2018 Rs Camaro
That's really good.

I bought the edelbrock supercharger kit and after I got a smaller pully for more boost, and got catless downpipes I'm only sitting at 383RWHP.(Also only a 4th gear pull, in 5th/6th it'd be higher) Now supposedly that's on a very safe daily driving tune so maybe I could break 400WHP. But they don't want to break my car, and my dyno is apparently a "heartbreaker dyno" So apparently I'm making more HP than I know. I can race and beat 5.0 mustangs so you'd be in a similar territory.

It's good to see other people supercharging their V6's. My next quest is getting a cam kit for it, but as far as I can tell, nothing exists. Literally nothing. No one has spent the money on R&D to make it.
fuzzum111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #63
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
I am interested in this...got to save my money!
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #64
SoarinSnek

Drives: 2020 Camaro
Excellent car btw and damn that power �� very strong!
SoarinSnek is offline   Reply With Quote