Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #1
AndyZ87

Drives: 2016 2SS
Engine randomly revs

This is for a 2016 2SS M6. I recently had to replace a wheel stud on the rear passenger side. There was quite a bit of items to remove and reinstall. Anyway since then when I drive the engine will randomly rev up and stabilitrac lights come on. Is it possible I messed up a sensor back there?
AndyZ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
There's no weird noises or vibrations since you swapped the stud, right? Assuming no, the Stabilitrak light coming on makes me think the wheel speed sensor either wasn't hooked back up properly or got mushed during installation.

When you say "rev up," do you mean while driving? If so, sounds to me like it's activating engine drag control. Basically thinks the rear wheels are slowing down too much relative to the front so it revs the engine. This keeps the rear from sliding before the fronts on slippery surfaces due to engine drag. This also could be explained by having a damaged/intermittent wheel speed sensor signal.

If you don't have a way to check and see if there are any stored codes with an advanced scanned that can read brake module codes, I'd suggest checking out the wheel speed sensor to make sure it's properly hooked up and wasn't moved or damaged accidentally when you installed the stud.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
AndyZ87

Drives: 2016 2SS
I guess there was an important part I missed. Before i add it, i did confirm the speed sensor is in good shape and working. When I did the wheel stud I also put on a 28inch tire on a 17inch racestar. In the front I am running a 17inch race star with a 26inch tire. Could the differential in tire size be the issue? I had a buddy hook up his scanner while we drove the the front speed sensors are reporting differently from the back ones. Even if I swap on stock 20s on the front and still does it.
AndyZ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
If you search there are some great threads about traction control, how the car calculates speed, and the comparison between wheel sensors and engine/transmission RPM. I believe the traction control system starts having problems when the difference between front and rear tires is 1" or more.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Yeah stabilitrack won't let you have too much leeway with wheel circumstance.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote