Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Question which exhaust upgrade?

I'm working on buying a '20 Camaro early next year, and I want an exhaust system that's better than stock. I don't have any experience at this level, so I need some info.

I have 1 requirement: it has to sound 'normal' at certain times (I believe that's where the 'dual-mode exhaust' comes into play.) I think that's NPP -- correct?

I know that I can get a better system from the factory, but I'd like to consider after-market (I'm sure it would sound even better). Is there a consensus on a comparison of GM's upgrade and after-market?

So, figuring that I'll get an after-market exhaust, how should I equip my vehicle? Should I get the dual-mode option, and standard exhaust? Or?
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
If getting an aftermarket exhaust, there's really no reason to get the factory NPP. Just extra wasted money in my opinion. Personally I think the upgraded factory exhaust is the way to go if you already know beforehand that you want some kind of extra noise
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Michael-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
If getting an aftermarket exhaust, there's really no reason to get the factory NPP. Just extra wasted money in my opinion.
But then, how do I put it into quiet mode (which the dual-mode option does)?

Perhaps there's something I don't know about aftermarket exhaust systems -- would it add that function?
Old 11-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-k View Post

Perhaps there's something I don't know about aftermarket exhaust systems -- would it add that function?

If you want the modes your going to need to pick a system that lets you keep the NPP set up. Borla, Stainless Works, Magnaflow and Im sure others give you that option. Im torn right now between AWE and Stainless Works myself. The AWE system doesnt support the NPP. I love the sound of there exhaust and you cant beat there prices but, theres something that sits wrong with me about not having the NPP option since it came with the car. In regards to the Stainless, I havent been able to locate enough sound clips from there axleback to make a decsion to go that way.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:

Well that's the thing. With an aftermarket exhaust (not NPP) there really is no "quiet or loud mode". Some systems are quieter than others, and of course how you drive, but that's the trade off. GM makes their own axle back exhaust for the Camaro that's actually covered under warranty. Might wanna check that out as well
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #6
Michael-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Well that's the thing. With an aftermarket exhaust (not NPP) there really is no "quiet or loud mode". Some systems are quieter than others, and of course how you drive, but that's the trade off. GM makes their own axle back exhaust for the Camaro that's actually covered under warranty. Might wanna check that out as well
Going by some of the replies here, it sounded like there are no aftermarket exhaust systems that use NPP. So, I figured I should check the offerings. As -keystonemedical- stated, there are a bunch from which to choose.

But, can I get the skirt/facia (or whatever that bottom panel with the exhaust cutouts is called) for the dual-exit BUT with the standard exhaust?
Old 11-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #7
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Going by some of the replies here, it sounded like there are no aftermarket exhaust systems that use NPP. So, I figured I should check the offerings. As -keystonemedical- stated, there are a bunch from which to choose.

But, can I get the skirt/facia (or whatever that bottom panel with the exhaust cutouts is called) for the dual-exit BUT with the standard exhaust?
My car came with dual tips, I swapped that fascia with a quad tip one from next gen speed. It came painted and with tinted reflectors for like 200 bucks.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #8
Michael-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
My car came with dual tips, I swapped that fascia with a quad tip one from next gen speed. It came painted and with tinted reflectors for like 200 bucks.

I'd like to discover aftermarket products. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
I highly recommend the Borla ATAK axlebacks. They come with NPP or non-NPP options, dual or quad-tipped. I swapped my diffuser to allow the quad-tipped unit and was very pleased with the increased sound and deeper tone.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #10
Michael-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCyphyr71 View Post
I highly recommend the Borla ATAK axlebacks. They come with NPP or non-NPP options, dual or quad-tipped. I swapped my diffuser to allow the quad-tipped unit and was very pleased with the increased sound and deeper tone.
I already checked out Borla. I was considering getting the S type (with NPP, of course!)
Do you have the ATAK? I'm curious if they might be too loud. (I don't want a rip-roaring beast.) I'd have to hear various setups; I'd like to know how GM's upgrade sounds compared to the S type.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
In my opinion, no, it's not loud. It's fairly loud on cold start, then quiets down. Sounds great in the car under throttle. But as to how it sounds outside, as too being TOO loud, I don't know.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #12
tomcamaro1

Drives: camaro rs v6 2017
borla

I have the borla s type on my car- 2017 v6 and it sounds awesome, all my friends with their mustangs also love the sound of my car
tomcamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #13
Camaro Rules

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Here try this and see if it helps you decide...I was leaning towards the S-Type until I heard them. I ended up getting the...Atak. I absolutely love the sound!

I also found an incredible deal on the Atak exhaust system, so that helped

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOlxn3M1WI
Camaro Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
afe power ftw

Tags
after-market exhaust, dual-mode exhaust, exhaust