Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #29
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
Yep, took me about 30 secs to remove mine, just pryed behind it enough to pull it off by hand.

If you want to go through the hassle of pulling off the top cover, it's a lot easier to just push the tabs from the back and release it, but not necessary, especially if you have a replacement waiting to go on like I did. I tired to mask off and paint the gold bowtie black but after a few attempts it didn't come out good, so I stripped it off and it's just sitting in the garage
So you took it off without removing the covers right? What are you prying, the tabs?

If it's just plastic tabs holding it the hopefully I can spray wd40 and try to push/pry the tabs while pulling.

Last edited by Richard0nee; 08-19-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #30
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
So you took it off without removing the covers right? What are you prying, the tabs?

If it's just plastic tabs holding it the hopefully I can spray wd40 and try to push/pry the tabs while pulling.
There are tabs on the badge and the grill but the ones on the grill are a soft plastic. If you spray some lubricant between them (badge and grill) and pry with a plastic tool, the badge tabs pull/bend the grill tabs out with them. But they are soft and can be pushed back in with a screwdriver or whatever. Then just snap the badge back in when you are ready to. It's really easy. Hopefully that makes sense.

EDIT: To be clear, you are prying off the badge. You do not need to get at any of the tabs. I pulled from the left side (facing the vehicle).
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #31
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
There are tabs on the badge and the grill but the ones on the grill are a soft plastic. If you spray some lubricant between them (badge and grill) and pry with a plastic tool, the badge tabs pull/bend the grill tabs out with them. But they are soft and can be pushed back in with a screwdriver or whatever. Then just snap the badge back in when you are ready to. It's really easy. Hopefully that makes sense.

EDIT: To be clear, you are prying off the badge. You do not need to get at any of the tabs. I pulled from the left side (facing the vehicle).
Thanks man! i'm going to spray the tabs and then pull the emblem out.. should be much easier than removing the covers under the hood.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #32
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
Just for fun today as I already plasti-dipped my bowties on the car, I checked what it would take to get the front bowtie off. With a flashlight I could see the clips, stuck my hand in where the hood latch is and pushed each clip with that hand while pulling gently from the outside with the other hand. It popped off pretty easy.
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #33
Debzer

Drives: HAD 2000 Z28. 16 2SS mosaic black
Send a message via AIM to Debzer
I got my black bow ties and I read the thread. So far I got the prong on the left to detach and I have a small flathead screwdriver holding it from going back into place. Has anyone used a heat gun to soften the plastic? Anyone know if that would work?
Debzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #34
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post

Exactly, I've done three cars for friends now stop by and all it takes is good trim tools, some WD-40 , and it's even faster if I ask one question "do you care what the gold badge looks like when I get it off?". If they say no, I could just rip it to my hearts content, and if any of them that have holes that get messed up because I pulled on it, I can put back the new badge with 3M VHB tape And no one is the wiser. It looks perfect. If he says "yes I want to keep the gold badge" it just takes a little bit longer and a little bit more finesse.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #35
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I just did my front emblem. I tried the WD-40 and trim tool trick and it snapped 3 of the 4 rear clips but no harm no foul. I wasn't planning on every using it again anyway.

Did anyone else black bowtie not fit as snug? The original gold one had zero wiggle room. The black one wiggles just a touch. Not enough to worry me at all, but it doesn't fit as tightly as the original.

Last edited by Eric SS; 12-16-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #36
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
I took my badge off while i had the front fascia off......Super tight fit and wasnt easy to remove even being able to get at the back of it.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote