Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-06-2020, 08:58 PM   #197
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan82679 View Post
Mine does the same thing and I have Eibach springs, make sure your in track mode and it's less noticable. I'm also going to install the oem zl1-1le craddle lock out bushings very soon. I'll report back with the results.
If you've changed out springs another thing to check is corner weights if you know a place with scales. I had a 5th Gen that launched left at the track all the time and found the lowering spring. Adjusted rear springs and fixed the issue.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #198
Anti-Venom

Drives: 98 Z28 SS, 2018 ZL1 HYPER BLUE
I have had mine for 3 months and feel the same thing. I’m glad I’m not the only one that feels this.
Anti-Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #199
Anti-Venom

2 side notes after reading most of This thread.

I had 2017 2ss never had this problem on the same roads I drive everyday.

MyZl1 has new tires and i still have the same issue as many have stated. My suspicion that’s it’s alignment issue. That many have confirmed or it’s that the car has so much power.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #200
NEZL1

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Venom View Post
2 side notes after reading most of This thread.

I had 2017 2ss never had this problem on the same roads I drive everyday.

MyZl1 has new tires and i still have the same issue as many have stated. My suspicion that’s it’s alignment issue. That many have confirmed or it’s that the car has so much power.
I had my alignment checked. Had zero toe out back, moved it to 1/16" toe in in the rear, which is common on race cars to settle the rear. Did help some, but I think I've figured out at least in my case part of what I'm feeling.

I think it's tramlining in the rear. With the aggressive track alignment it certainly tramlines up front pretty aggressively, but I noticed my problem seems to occur when crossing the painted lane markers, and I've noticed others who have posted videos had issues when they crossed the painted line too. I think the wheel transitioning from a low grip surface (painted line) to a high grip surface, concrete/asphalt etc literally pulls the rear end of the car to the higher grip surface, aggressively apparently, when at speeds and under acceleration.

This is common knowledge and something they teach you early when you're doing track days, especially with race rubber. That if you have an off, don't try to jump right back on track or the sudden grip of the race surface can grab and hook the car into the opposite wall.
NEZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #201
Harry76

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Last fall I installed the BMR non adjustable control and trailing arms as well as the cradle lockout, on my Camaro ZL1, I was making 700 plus hp, they helped control the rear end but I still had some wandering side to side under hard acceleration but it was manageable.
This summer I installed a cam, lifters and low side fuel kit and boosted the power to 900 plus and the wandering side to side became almost uncontrollable.
As long as the tires were slipping it would track ok but when they hooked up it would immediately pull the rear end to the left and then back to the right repeatedly.
Working with my suspension guy we determined the toe in was changing drastically under hard acceleration causing the issue.
Upon examination we found the rubber bushings in the stock flimsy toe rod to be very soft allowing the movement.
I ordered the Toe rods from BMR and had them in two days, installed and they completely cured the issue.
Harry76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #202
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Venom View Post
I have had mine for 3 months and feel the same thing. I’m glad I’m not the only one that feels this.
Yeah, quite a few other threads compiled on this one here.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500793
Old 09-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #203
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry76 View Post
Last fall I installed the BMR non adjustable control and trailing arms as well as the cradle lockout, on my Camaro ZL1, I was making 700 plus hp, they helped control the rear end but I still had some wandering side to side under hard acceleration but it was manageable.
This summer I installed a cam, lifters and low side fuel kit and boosted the power to 900 plus and the wandering side to side became almost uncontrollable.
As long as the tires were slipping it would track ok but when they hooked up it would immediately pull the rear end to the left and then back to the right repeatedly.
Working with my suspension guy we determined the toe in was changing drastically under hard acceleration causing the issue.
Upon examination we found the rubber bushings in the stock flimsy toe rod to be very soft allowing the movement.
I ordered the Toe rods from BMR and had them in two days, installed and they completely cured the issue.
This is good info. I’m in the same boat powerwise now and experienced this “sway” a couple of times now...very unnerving. Of note, with my regular 2SS, I don’t have the eLSD, but am still having the same issue. So definitely not a diff calibration (at least in my case).

I already have the BMR differential lockout installed which helped some, and just ordered up BMR trailing & control arms. If it still persists, I’ll give the toe rods a try. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #204
NEZL1

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry76 View Post
Thats pretty funny because when I initially experienced the rear end sway I said I felt like the toe was changing under load. But like others have said it's worse at highway speed then low speeds, and obviously they're under much greater force in 1st and 2nd then higher gears.
But minor changes in toe might be more noticeable at higher speeds.

I'm annoyed enough that I'm willing to give it a try for $290. I just ordered them, and will install them once they get here, and align to the same specs and post up here once I get an idea of how they compare
http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=pro...productid=1628
NEZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #205
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
The et street ss sway terribly. I hated them.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #206
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
just ordered a set, and will be my final attempt to correct this. New set of tires, other BMR pieces, all did make things better, but if i can feel it going side to side then its not right. So toe links and a alignment better be the nail in the coffin..lol
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #207
Anti-Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEZL1 View Post
I had my alignment checked. Had zero toe out back, moved it to 1/16" toe in in the rear, which is common on race cars to settle the rear. Did help some, but I think I've figured out at least in my case part of what I'm feeling.

I think it's tramlining in the rear. With the aggressive track alignment it certainly tramlines up front pretty aggressively, but I noticed my problem seems to occur when crossing the painted lane markers, and I've noticed others who have posted videos had issues when they crossed the painted line too. I think the wheel transitioning from a low grip surface (painted line) to a high grip surface, concrete/asphalt etc literally pulls the rear end of the car to the higher grip surface, aggressively apparently, when at speeds and under acceleration.

This is common knowledge and something they teach you early when you're doing track days, especially with race rubber. That if you have an off, don't try to jump right back on track or the sudden grip of the race surface can grab and hook the car into the opposite wall.

Thats when it’s happening to me, while crossing the lane markers plus on a uneven road! Good info!!!
Old 09-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #208
KRATOSZLE

Drives: 2019 Nickey Camaro ZL1 1LE
Tramlining

My 2019 ZL1 1LE was tramlining all over the road and it road like a truck with no shocks. I put Michelin Pilots on the front and it improved 1000%. I still had that shakey feeling when I went over the center line to pass. I did not dare to accelerate until I was completely straight in the other lane. I had a reputable shop realign my car to the standard ZL1 alignment and all my handling problems went away!!
KRATOSZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #209
Harry76

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Harry76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #210
Rams01

Drives: 2018 ZL1, 2001 Z28 1LE
Bone stock 2018 ZL1 was tramlining on my MPS4 which had 3000 miles on them and 1 track day (first time out with this car) I didn't realize what was happening initially and just thought it was wheel spin due to less tread from the recent track day. It only got worse, and mind you I had just aligned the car to spec after the new MP4S were put on.
So, I found that the insides of the rear tires had worn significantly faster than the outside and the depth measured from 6/32 on the outside and gradually down to 3 and 4/32 on the inside.. I was baffled at wtf happened so bought another set of the GYSC3 which sucked ass in the rain but they were not back ordered and on sale.
Boom, problem solved! Car went straight as an arrow... Back to the track I go.. A few days after I hammer it on the street, car does the same damn thing! I take it to a shop to check out the alignment and low and behold the specs were way the hell off from what they were set to and so I had it realigned but this time with a track focused alignment which meant more tire wear but w/e.
I take it back in to check the alignment again after the next track day and the f'n thing is out of alignment once again! I guess this comes with the territory but gdamn i didn't think I'd need an alignment after ever track outing! If I were to do a weekend event 2-3 days i'd be in deep shit.
So if you're bone stock and having these issues, its most likely your suspension moved and now you're tramlining and only really feel it after you've eaten away at the inside of the tire.
I may be spewing shit you all already know but just wanted to add my findings and the root cause of my issue.
Rams01 is offline   Reply With Quote