Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-09-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
19Camaro2SS

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Question Upgrading to Borla S-Type Exhaust from 2 Pipes--Questions

I just purchased a used 2019 Camaro 2SS that has 1 pipe coming out the driver's side and 1 coming out the passenger's side rear exhaust (2 pipes total). I've been doing a little research and figure the Borla S-Type exhaust with cat back, not a header back (to not void the factory warranty) is the way to go... I live in a town home and don't want to wake up the neighbors to an extreme, so no ATAK exhaust. Questions:

1. Is it an easy mod to remove the factory OEM pipes and install the Borla S-Type exhaust?

2. Do I need to upgrade to a Rear Bumper Lip Quad Diffuser Matte Black (such as this one-- https://www.ebay.com/itm/273095941247?ul_noapp=true) as I install the Borla exhaust (so the pipes will fit through the rear)? Also, should I consider another diffuser, or is this a good choice?

3. Will there be any problem with functionality in upgrading from the current 2-pipe setup to the Borla 4-pipe exhaust, considering the car did not come with NPP setup? Also, do I understand correctly (from another post in this forum) that I can't readily upgrade to the NPP while upgrading to the Borla exhaust?

4. Will there be any effect on power or harmful effects to the motor over the short or long term due to moving to 4 pipes versus the current 2 pipes if I don't get the car performance tuned after the Borla install? Note: I also plan to install a Mishimoto Oil Catch Can and Cold Air Inductions 501-1100-B Cold Air Intake System this week prior to the exhaust upgrade.

5. Any details of which I should be aware that can cause problems in making this upgrade? I'll probably buy the parts and then have the upgrade done when I get new tires (in the next week or so), when the shop has my baby up on the lift anyway.

Thanks much for any expertise (especially from those who have made similar upgrades) and/or opinions. I'm open to any suggestions/advice, as this is the first exhaust mod I will have made on any car.
19Camaro2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:22 AM   #2
19Camaro2SS

One more thought...I plan to install a front splitter (currently thinking the Anderson Composites Carbon Fiber or EOS Extreme Online ZL1 style) and side skirts (thinking American Authority) to round out the look. Any recommendations on a front splitter or side skirts? Should I have them painted? Should I have the rear bumper lip quad diffuser painted as well, or leave it matte black? My 2SS is black in color. I'd like to have a unified look all around the car, of course. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
I looked into going NPPP from non-NPPP. Need a different rear facia.

Not worth it IMO.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
cheeze9878

Drives: 17 camaro ss
1. Is it an easy mod to remove the factory OEM pipes and install the Borla S-Type exhaust?

its a pretty easy job but if your asking the question, I'm gonna go a head and say its gonna be about 3 out of 10 job. just go slow measure twice cut once.

2. Do I need to upgrade to a Rear Bumper Lip Quad Diffuser Matte Black (such as this one-- https://www.ebay.com/itm/273095941247?ul_noapp=true) as I install the Borla exhaust (so the pipes will fit through the rear)? Also, should I consider another diffuser, or is this a good choice?

I'm pretty sure youhave to get a new diffuser and any quad tip diffuser would be fine, the single is not a big enough hole.

3. Will there be any problem with functionality in upgrading from the current 2-pipe setup to the Borla 4-pipe exhaust, considering the car did not come with NPP setup? Also, do I understand correctly (from another post in this forum) that I can't readily upgrade to the NPP while upgrading to the Borla exhaust?

This I see as your biggest problem as there is no wiring for it so I don't see how you're going to control it other a stand alone switch somewhere.

4. Will there be any effect on power or harmful effects to the motor over the short or long term due to moving to 4 pipes versus the current 2 pipes if I don't get the car performance tuned after the Borla install? Note: I also plan to install a Mishimoto Oil Catch Can and Cold Air Inductions 501-1100-B Cold Air Intake System this week prior to the exhaust upgrade.

Absolutely none, you don't need to tune it at all for doing an axle back exhaust.

5. Any details of which I should be aware that can cause problems in making this upgrade? I'll probably buy the parts and then have the upgrade done when I get new tires (in the next week or so), when the shop has my baby up on the lift anyway.

Research how you plan on operating this before you start buying parts, could get expensive quick. and you can also go the cheaper route of just buying the S-Type single pipe and not change anything out except the axle back. depending on how bad you want valves.

Hope That helps
cheeze9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Went from non-npp to 2 outlet (not quad) Borla S-Type. Plug and play. Looks awesome. Sounds awesome without being obnoxiously loud. Would do it again in a second.
Staves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
19Camaro2SS

Thumbs up Thanks for the Advice

Thanks for the advice to those who provided.

At this point, after speaking directly with some sellers I've decided to go with the Borlas S-Type Axle-back Exhaust with Quad Carbon Fiber Tips (https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...m?1=1&CartID=0) together with a new rear bumper lip quad diffuser matte black (https://www.ebay.com/itm/273095941247).

I'm not sure if I will paint the diffuser or just leave it matte black, considering it will be a black Camaro 2SS with carbon fiber tip exhaust. What do you guys think? Should I paint the diffuser to match the black car or just leave it matte black?

FYI, the exhaust with quad tips are supposed to be easy to install, and do not use the NPP system, so no need to mess around with trying to install that NPP.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 08-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
franksredhot

Drives: 2016 Red Hot Camaro 1SS A8
I say buy the diffuser and see how good is the finish quality. It may need to be painted just to deal with imperfections in the plastic. If it's in good shape, I would still consider at least a clear coat over it. Are you planning on using a body shop? If not, leave it alone.
franksredhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Camaro2SS View Post
Thanks for the advice to those who provided.

At this point, after speaking directly with some sellers I've decided to go with the Borlas S-Type Axle-back Exhaust with Quad Carbon Fiber Tips (https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...m?1=1&CartID=0) together with a new rear bumper lip quad diffuser matte black (https://www.ebay.com/itm/273095941247).

I'm not sure if I will paint the diffuser or just leave it matte black, considering it will be a black Camaro 2SS with carbon fiber tip exhaust. What do you guys think? Should I paint the diffuser to match the black car or just leave it matte black?

FYI, the exhaust with quad tips are supposed to be easy to install, and do not use the NPP system, so no need to mess around with trying to install that NPP.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Great choice! The quads tips look awesome, well worth the cost of a new diffuser. Borla S is also my favorite exhaust sound for these cars, deeper and cleaner than the ATAK, bu tnot as loud and over the top. Perfect for a non-NPP setup, Borla engineers the crap out of their system to avoid any drone.

You will be very happy with the quality, sound, and look of the new quad tips.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
19Camaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksredhot View Post
I say buy the diffuser and see how good is the finish quality. It may need to be painted just to deal with imperfections in the plastic. If it's in good shape, I would still consider at least a clear coat over it. Are you planning on using a body shop? If not, leave it alone.
I was hoping to just install as-is, but if I need to, would take it in to a body shop to have it painted. Follow-on question: If it comes with no painting, does the matte black plastic tend to discolor over time (hence the recommendation to clear coat)?

Tags
borla, diffuser, exhaust, npp, warranty