Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 10-24-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Camaro V6 vs Lincoln mkz 3.0t

Ok guys I have a very intriguing opportunity here, and am looking for some feedback. Long story short I can get a 2017 Lincoln mkz 3.0t loaded to the hilt for 28k with 38,000 miles. My 2018 RS V6 Camaro has 38,000 miles as well, and they are offering me 23k. So a 5k difference, but the original sticker on the Lincoln was 57k mind you, so it's an insane value in this case. Obviously completely different cars, but what are your thoughts? Basically my monthly payment would stay the same except I'd be financing the Mkz for one extra year. Same interest rate, and same price to insure. The 3.0t in the Mkz is just as fast as my Camaro (maybe a little faster) but the luxury and tech is insane. Besides the looks and handling, the Lincoln is much better obviously. Just curious on what some of you guys would do
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:34 PM   #2
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Is it the 350hp FWD or the 400hp AWD MKZ?
Old 10-25-2021, 04:47 AM   #3
HCI2000SS

It's the 400 hp AWD
Old 10-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
It's the 400 hp AWD
Those are very comfy cars, quick too. Do you need the 4 doors? Will AWD help in the winter? Are you familiar with the maintenance records of the car?

Will the car suit your current needs and desires better than your camaro is? I might make the jump if i were in a v6.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
Those are very comfy cars, quick too. Do you need the 4 doors? Will AWD help in the winter? Are you familiar with the maintenance records of the car?

Will the car suit your current needs and desires better than your camaro is? I might make the jump if i were in a v6.
I really don't need 4 doors or AWD, and I do have records for the car. Here's the thing...I absolutely love my Camaro, but I live in Michigan (worst roads in the country and this car rides pretty damn rough) and I have a completely built 700 hp 2000 Camaro for my weekend/summer toy. If I add up the pros and cons of each car the Lincoln comes out ahead. The thing I love about the Camaro is its looks, but I'm not sure I'd ever get a better looking car for at this price range. I'm almost positive I'd be getting an extended warranty with this car, and I can get a prorated refund on my current GMEPP one. Here is what it would probably boil down to...if the Lincoln ends up being trouble free, I'm sure I'll like it quite a bit better, but if not I'm sure I'll be regretting it lol. I plan to keep either car for at least another 5 or 6 years too.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
I really don't need 4 doors or AWD, and I do have records for the car. Here's the thing...I absolutely love my Camaro, but I live in Michigan (worst roads in the country and this car rides pretty damn rough) and I have a completely built 700 hp 2000 Camaro for my weekend/summer toy. If I add up the pros and cons of each car the Lincoln comes out ahead. The thing I love about the Camaro is its looks, but I'm not sure I'd ever get a better looking car for at this price range. I'm almost positive I'd be getting an extended warranty with this car, and I can get a prorated refund on my current GMEPP one. Here is what it would probably boil down to...if the Lincoln ends up being trouble free, I'm sure I'll like it quite a bit better, but if not I'm sure I'll be regretting it lol. I plan to keep either car for at least another 5 or 6 years too.

I kinda made the same choice and traded my 2019 V6 for a turbo AWD sedan/liftback.

My Camaro was my only car though, and I wanted something more practical for daily stuff, plus being able to carry two extra adults when needed. Plus I still wanted something a little more fun to drive versus an Accord or Camry.

My regrets? I miss the handling and exhaust from the Camaro. The Stinger is like 700lbs heavier. While I don't think it feels that much heavier when driving, it definitely doesn't handle as well as the V6 Camaro. I expected that, so no surprise. I do REALLY miss the exhaust note from the Camaro and will be going for an aftermarket exhaust for the Stinger when someone produces an exhaust that can accommodate the active valve functions. The stock exhaust is way too quiet, even with the active feature.

What do I like better than my prior V6 Camaro? Waaaayyyyyy more creature comforts. I had the base 1LT V6 Camaro, so it was minimum on that stuff. Now I have leather seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel, dual zone climate, a better base sound system, blind spot monitoring, a bunch of safety systems, radar cruise control, etc.

I imagine the MKZ will have a lot of that stuff as well. Overall its just a better, higher quality interior.

Ultimately I don't regret the move at all, especially since this is my daily car. If I already had a daily, then I wouldn't have bought the Stinger. I'd be looking at the Camaro, BRZ, or something else RWD as my fun car.

Yeah the Stinger and MKZ will definitely be faster, but for me the main draw was all the additional features versus the Camaro. Since you already have a 'fun' Camaro I would make the jump. That MKZ is a TOTAL sleeper too. I seriously don't think you could get any more sleeper than that with a modern car.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:17 AM   #7
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
I kinda made the same choice and traded my 2019 V6 for a turbo AWD sedan/liftback.

My Camaro was my only car though, and I wanted something more practical for daily stuff, plus being able to carry two extra adults when needed. Plus I still wanted something a little more fun to drive versus an Accord or Camry.

My regrets? I miss the handling and exhaust from the Camaro. The Stinger is like 700lbs heavier. While I don't think it feels that much heavier when driving, it definitely doesn't handle as well as the V6 Camaro. I expected that, so no surprise. I do REALLY miss the exhaust note from the Camaro and will be going for an aftermarket exhaust for the Stinger when someone produces an exhaust that can accommodate the active valve functions. The stock exhaust is way too quiet, even with the active feature.

What do I like better than my prior V6 Camaro? Waaaayyyyyy more creature comforts. I had the base 1LT V6 Camaro, so it was minimum on that stuff. Now I have leather seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel, dual zone climate, a better base sound system, blind spot monitoring, a bunch of safety systems, radar cruise control, etc.

I imagine the MKZ will have a lot of that stuff as well. Overall its just a better, higher quality interior.

Ultimately I don't regret the move at all, especially since this is my daily car. If I already had a daily, then I wouldn't have bought the Stinger. I'd be looking at the Camaro, BRZ, or something else RWD as my fun car.

Yeah the Stinger and MKZ will definitely be faster, but for me the main draw was all the additional features versus the Camaro. Since you already have a 'fun' Camaro I would make the jump. That MKZ is a TOTAL sleeper too. I seriously don't think you could get any more sleeper than that with a modern car.
Well said, I couldn't agree more. As of today I don't have to wonder anymore though...I did the trade today lol. That Stinger you have should be very similar to the MKZ I just got. Similar power, comfort, tech, luxury, etc. All the things you said about the Camaro vs that Stinger is pretty much how I feel as well. Had this deal not been so tight in terms of the dollar amount, there's no way I would have done it, but in this case a few grand more for this MKZ was just to good to pass up. 57k car for 28k with low miles and great shape...umm yeah I wasn't gonna pass on that lol.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:28 AM   #8
Malbjey

Quote:
Well said, I couldn't agree more. As of today I don't have to wonder anymore though...I did the trade today lol. That Stinger you have should be very similar to the MKZ I just got. Similar power, comfort, tech, luxury, etc. All the things you said about the Camaro vs that Stinger is pretty much how I feel as well. Had this deal not been so tight in terms of the dollar amount, there's no way I would have done it, but in this case a few grand more for this MKZ was just to good to pass up. 57k car for 28k with low miles and great shape...umm yeah I wasn't gonna pass on that lol.

Congrats bro. Let us know your thoughts on the MKZ! Yes that was an awesome deal as well.

Now I remember one more regret for Stinger vs V6 Camaro lol....the gas mileage. The Stinger gets mileage like a V8, and it requires premium gas. The Camaro could took 87 and had slightly better city, but a lot better highway mileage. The Camaro also had a bigger gas tank.

Overall it's not a huge deal, but definitely something I noticed. We have a lot of hills/inclines in this region so the gas mileage often is worse than advertised.

You plan on doing any mods to MKZ?
Old 10-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #9
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Congrats bro. Let us know your thoughts on the MKZ! Yes that was an awesome deal as well.

Now I remember one more regret for Stinger vs V6 Camaro lol....the gas mileage. The Stinger gets mileage like a V8, and it requires premium gas. The Camaro could took 87 and had slightly better city, but a lot better highway mileage. The Camaro also had a bigger gas tank.

Overall it's not a huge deal, but definitely something I noticed. We have a lot of hills/inclines in this region so the gas mileage often is worse than advertised.

You plan on doing any mods to MKZ?
Thanks man. Mods? I'd love to do a Livernois tune (they are like 30 minutes from me) but I found a really good deal on an extended warranty, so I might not go that route. MRT makes a axle-back that I might look into. The MKZ makes the full 400 hp/tq on 93, but is able to use 87 just fine, but loses like 20 hp or something. Car is rated 17 city 26 highway, so yeah definitely not as good as the Camaro, but time will tell what I end up really getting. I'm loving the car so far, and as long as it's reliable and whatnot I think I'm going to be very happy with the switch. Just for fun I might take it to the track and see what it does. I did with the Camaro, so I'd like a good real comparison. You ever run either car? This MKZ feels faster than my V6 (appears they might be underrating the torque, it's more like 450 from what I'm seeing) but it's a pig at 4300 lbs lol
Old 10-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #10
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Look into the JMS Boostmax. I'll likely get one for my daily 2.0 AWD MKZ.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #11
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Look into the JMS Boostmax. I'll likely get one for my daily 2.0 AWD MKZ.
That's basically one of those throttle enhancers right? I'll check into it. Thanks
Old 10-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #12
Malbjey

Quote:
Thanks man. Mods? I'd love to do a Livernois tune (they are like 30 minutes from me) but I found a really good deal on an extended warranty, so I might not go that route. MRT makes a axle-back that I might look into. The MKZ makes the full 400 hp/tq on 93, but is able to use 87 just fine, but loses like 20 hp or something. Car is rated 17 city 26 highway, so yeah definitely not as good as the Camaro, but time will tell what I end up really getting. I'm loving the car so far, and as long as it's reliable and whatnot I think I'm going to be very happy with the switch. Just for fun I might take it to the track and see what it does. I did with the Camaro, so I'd like a good real comparison. You ever run either car? This MKZ feels faster than my V6 (appears they might be underrating the torque, it's more like 450 from what I'm seeing) but it's a pig at 4300 lbs lol

Haha, yeah I'm keeping my car stock as well. Really don't want to mess with the warranty. At most my mods will be an exhaust and maybe sway bars.

Sadly I never took my Camaro to autocross. The most I used it was for spirited back road driving. It's been the same for my Stinger as well. However I do plan to mess around in autocross, probably next year. Even though its AWD, I can still get the tail to come out a little.

In terms of straight line speed, I never timed either Camaro or Stinger but the Stinger feels undoubtedly faster. It supposedly makes 376 torque, but like your car, many people feel thats underrated and a lot of stock dyno numbers indicate 360 ish torque to the wheels, which means its making much more at the crank.

I actually love the look of the MK Z as well, especially the rear end. Shame they stopped making them!
Old 10-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Haha, yeah I'm keeping my car stock as well. Really don't want to mess with the warranty. At most my mods will be an exhaust and maybe sway bars.

Sadly I never took my Camaro to autocross. The most I used it was for spirited back road driving. It's been the same for my Stinger as well. However I do plan to mess around in autocross, probably next year. Even though its AWD, I can still get the tail to come out a little.

In terms of straight line speed, I never timed either Camaro or Stinger but the Stinger feels undoubtedly faster. It supposedly makes 376 torque, but like your car, many people feel thats underrated and a lot of stock dyno numbers indicate 360 ish torque to the wheels, which means its making much more at the crank.

I actually love the look of the MK Z as well, especially the rear end. Shame they stopped making them!

Yeah our cars are just so completely different than the V6 Camaro. I think the thing I miss the most so far is the looks of the Camaro, but that's just a personal preference. Cars like the Stinger and MKZ look awesome to me as well, but Mustangs and Camaros are some of the best looking rides around IMO. I've read the Stinger is underrated as well. It makes sense when a car weighs 4200 lbs and does mid 4's 0-60 with only 370-400 rated horsepower and torque. I've seen dynos where the MKZ is about 400 wtq, which is more like 450 or so at the crank.

I actually had my first race yesterday too lol. It was a newer style Malibu Premier with the 2.0t. Looked up the stats and they'll do do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and weight about 3300 lbs with 250 hp. It was one of those scenarios where we were both at a light, but the lane ahead ended (his lane) and merged into one. Just on principle I hate when people do that and want to cut in last minute, so I never let them lol. Basically I was toying with him (getting on and off the gas a little, letting him think he might have a chance) and then just mashing the throttle completely that last few seconds and taking the win. I don't think the Camaro would have done as well in this particular king of scenario, because of the lack of torque.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:23 PM   #14
Malbjey

Quote:
Yeah our cars are just so completely different than the V6 Camaro. I think the thing I miss the most so far is the looks of the Camaro, but that's just a personal preference. Cars like the Stinger and MKZ look awesome to me as well, but Mustangs and Camaros are some of the best looking rides around IMO. I've read the Stinger is underrated as well. It makes sense when a car weighs 4200 lbs and does mid 4's 0-60 with only 370-400 rated horsepower and torque. I've seen dynos where the MKZ is about 400 wtq, which is more like 450 or so at the crank.

I actually had my first race yesterday too lol. It was a newer style Malibu Premier with the 2.0t. Looked up the stats and they'll do do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and weight about 3300 lbs with 250 hp. It was one of those scenarios where we were both at a light, but the lane ahead ended (his lane) and merged into one. Just on principle I hate when people do that and want to cut in last minute, so I never let them lol. Basically I was toying with him (getting on and off the gas a little, letting him think he might have a chance) and then just mashing the throttle completely that last few seconds and taking the win. I don't think the Camaro would have done as well in this particular king of scenario, because of the lack of torque.

Yeah my Camaro got a lot of attention, haha. People always wanted to race or show off. Or drive stupidly aggressive and cut me off.

The Stinger gets attention too, but more 'what car is that?' The only people who seem to recognize it are WRX, Charger and Golf GTI drivers lol. Otherwise I kind of like having a more low key car now.

Funny thing is that the seating position really feels like my Camaro. I swear it has damn near the same ride height. Maybe an inch higher from the ground. I felt right at home sitting in it. It's nice to have a decent amount of windshield visibility too.

Yeah I hate when people are in a lane where they know it will end in a few hundred feet, and they race to cut you off. I don't let them in either. In the Camaro I just mashed the throttle as soon as the light turned green. The V6 is still a fast car relative to most stuff on the road.

I probably seemed like a dick, given how much I revved that car out and went WOT, hahaha. I just loved the exhaust so much. I wasn't even trying to flex. I just wanted to hear the exhaust! We have some nice tunnels here in Pittsburgh, so hearing the exhaust reverberate in them was a treat.

Even though I'm Camaro-less now, I'm still holding out hope for a 7th gen even if it goes electric (or hybrid). I just hope GM makes it a little more practical as a coupe. I have full confidence they will make it a great handling car, even if it's all electric.