Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #15
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
"Top Tier Detergent Gasoline - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_...rgent_Gasoline

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #16
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
What octane we talking about here? 93 or 91?
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #17
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
What octane we talking about here?
In Michigan it’s 93 octane.

BTW - BJ’s Warehouse has similar pricing and is also 93 octane Top Tier, at least in Michigan. Not as widespread as Costco, but it’s what I use when I visit Buffalo. Buffalo doesn’t have Costco. Yet.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #18
WldchrySS

Drives: 2021 camaro ss
93 here in va . Ran Costco since new no issues.
WldchrySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #19
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Costco is only about 10 cents cheaper here for reg, but it's amazing how long the lines are. Sometimes 7-8 deep. That's a good 20-30 minute wait if everyone is filling up. All to save $1.50-2.00 a tank. Plus they probably drove 50 miles to get there, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #20
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Looks like my buddy's the exception rather than the norm, then. Perhaps his car was sensitive? Or just a below-average batch from Costco? Or maybe Canadian Costco gas is different? No idea.

I looked up and there is no Costco gas near me now that I live in Greater Vancouver Area. Even the one near Victoria is about a 20-plus-minute drive from my place while I have a Chevron within walking distance when I lived in Victoria. Yeah, pass for me.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #21
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Looks like my buddy's the exception rather than the norm, then. Perhaps his car was sensitive? Or just a below-average batch from Costco? Or maybe Canadian Costco gas is different? No idea.

I looked up and there is no Costco gas near me now that I live in Greater Vancouver Area. Even the one near Victoria is about a 20-plus-minute drive from my place while I have a Chevron within walking distance when I lived in Victoria. Yeah, pass for me.
Maybe it's like the 80s logo effect where they plastered "TURBO" on everything from cars to watches - the Shell gas has "Nitro+" in the name, so it makes for better go-fast juice....

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #22
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Costco gas and membership is absolutely worth it for premium fuel, especially if you drive your car frequently.

If you only fill up with 87, then the price saving is debatable.

Costco is still a good membership to have in general though. You can save a lot of money on bulk items.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #23
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
Maybe it's like the 80s logo effect where they plastered "TURBO" on everything from cars to watches - the Shell gas has "Nitro+" in the name, so it makes for better go-fast juice....
Well, that's why I said to take it with a grain of salt. He mentioned that his car seems to be vibrating a bit harsher with Costco premium vs. Shell premium. Pretty sure everyone in this thread so far other than me lives in the States, and gas across the border can vary in quality greatly.

But yeah, there are many variables I have mentioned before that can contribute to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Costco gas and membership is absolutely worth it for premium fuel, especially if you drive your car frequently.

If you only fill up with 87, then the price saving is debatable.

Costco is still a good membership to have in general though. You can save a lot of money on bulk items.
Doesn't make much sense for a single guy like me, though. I don't buy enough to justify the membership, and in general, I like getting stuff fresh.

Usually I just leech off friends who have the membership to buy stuff like razor blades. IMO you need about 3 people in the household for the membership to really make sense, or you have a massive freezer and are okay with a rather repetitive diet.

Past:
Old 09-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #24
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Been using Costco 99% of the time. Top Tier is good enough for me. And, the dyno liked it.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #25
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Doesn't make much sense for a single guy like me, though. I don't buy enough to justify the membership, and in general, I like getting stuff fresh.

IMO you need about 3 people in the household for the membership to really make sense, or you have a massive freezer and are okay with a rather repetitive diet.
Agreed. We have two (the wife and I) and I keep telling her to let the Costco membership lapse that it ain't worth it. I have never once got gas there as I have to go 10 miles out of my way to get gas there. I have Top Tier gas at Kwik Trip right here next to my house.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:43 PM   #26
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:

Usually I just leech off friends who have the membership to buy stuff like razor blades. IMO you need about 3 people in the household for the membership to really make sense, or you have a massive freezer and are okay with a rather repetitive diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Agreed. We have two (the wife and I) and I keep telling her to let the Costco membership lapse that it ain't worth it. I have never once got gas there as I have to go 10 miles out of my way to get gas there. I have Top Tier gas at Kwik Trip right here next to my house.
I should specify--I don't regularly shop at Costco. I get gas there once a week, but maybe shop there once a month.

However even if you're single there are a lot of items you can take advantage of that won't expire soon (or at all): canned food, seasoning, bottled water, toilet paper, paper towels, clothing, vitamins, laundry detergent, etc.

You really don't need the membership for buying a bunch of steaks or whatever.

With that being said, the membership still pays for itself on gas savings alone especially if you're daily driving a car that requires premium fuel.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #27
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
The problem is impulsive buying. I wouldn't be surprised if you just end up buying a lot of stuff you don't really need at Costco because "everything is cheaper".

And yeah, Costco gas is more than 10 miles away from my place. More like 30 miles, from the looks of it. I am fine with Chevron's Journie rewards myself.

Quote:
I should specify--I don't regularly shop at Costco. I get gas there once a week, but maybe shop there once a month.

However even if you're single there are a lot of items you can take advantage of that won't expire soon (or at all): canned food, seasoning, bottled water, toilet paper, paper towels, clothing, vitamins, laundry detergent, etc.

You really don't need the membership for buying a bunch of steaks or whatever.

With that being said, the membership still pays for itself on gas savings alone especially if you're daily driving a car that requires premium fuel.
That's why I just leech off my friend's membership. I usually just give them a little extra money for letting me use their membership by shopping with them. No need to pay for full membership if I can just bribe my friend for like $5 and get a bunch of non-perishable stuff.

With this line of logic, I suppose you could get a few guys together to get one membership together, but that requires a lot of coordination to properly work.

Past:
Old 09-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #28
tommcd24

Drives: 2SS M6 NPP Convertible
Quote:
Don't forget the liquor store. Particularly if you are a whiskey fan, they have a nice selection at great prices. Of course outside of the traditional favorites (Jack, Jameson, Johnny) the selection varies, but at different times I've picked up Japanese Whisky, Breckenridge Bourbon (Colorado), and the Kirkland Small Batch Bourbon is very good also.

Dec. 18: took her home
Dec. 9: arrival at dealer
Nov. 16-29: Toledo, OH (railyard)
Nov. 9: 3800 -> 4300 (for stripes)
Oct. 8: 3400 status TPW 10/25
Oct. 6: 3100 status TPW 10/25
Sept. 9: 3000 status TPW 10/4/2021
Sept. 3: 2000 status (after 5 1/2 months)
Sept. 2: Change Order: 2SS (V6 constraint)
April 12: Reordered as ‘22 3LT RS V6 (March 16:Initial Order ‘21 3LT RS V6)
tommcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote