Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
robertd33

Drives: 2018 2ss redline
White Letter Tires

white letter tires have died out in standard production, but in the right setup can look good, so i wanted to give it a try. i'm just sharing my experience with this for your education if you decide to/not do so yourself.

the stock goodyear RFTs were showing wires, so it was time to replace at only 20k miles.
ordered online at discount tire, general Gmax RS, stock size, full set installed for $937.
i didn't really have time for this project, but wanted to get the letters on while the tires were in new condition.
of the many merchants, i narrowed it down to these based on cost & feedback
  • muscletirelettering.com
  • customtireletters.com
  • tirestickers.com
  • tiregraficx.com
  • carid.com

i chose tirestickers because their sample images seemed to be more concentric with the rim than the others. there were others that cost less, but the correct radius of the layout is important to look right & i was willing to pay more to not have to custom modify something for a change. i got goodyear white (obviously) permanent 1.5", stock sizes, 20" rim. i used some discount code i can't remember from the internet that got me some% off. total was $125.99 ordered 8/11 & arrived 8/16.

i watched the videos, read the instructions, ok, pretty easy.
i pretty much did 1 tire per day after work, took off 1 tire at a time, washed it & leaf blower dried it.

-when they say you might have to wipe with acetone "10 or more times", idk where they are getting these 10 wipe tires; it took probably 30+ times of not just wiping, but rubbing with hard pressure. and it STILL didn't wipe clean. i basically kept cleaning until i thought about returning them. i mean it really isn't worth the work unless you REALLY REALLY want them. i used a whole quart of acetone on the set of 4.

-the layout raidus of the letters was too big, just like everyone else's example pics. suckered again. it was more like 21-22". i cut in between the backing plastic to make the right radius to match the tire.

-the letters are really just a sheet of black rubber with a very thin sheet of colored rubber-type-stuff glued on. the white sheet was peeling off in a few spots on a couple of the letters. i glued it back down with the provided glue, which seemed to work. it is definitely worth mentioning that the white rubber is VERY tacky. i mean just barely touch it with anything & it leaves a mark on the white surface. brake dust & dirt are gonna make these black within a month.

-they say to put glue on the center of the letters, let them dry, then go back & glue the edges. i did 1 tire that way... fook that. it took probably an hour & a lot of mess to go back & glue tiny corners & inside curves. on the other tires i just did a thorough job of completely covering the surface to the edges without putting too much excess glue to squish out. i glued 2 letters at a time to make sure i could give them some good pressure & press all the corners. took maybe 20min per tire.

-although still within the sidewall, the 1.5" are a little big & are on the flex of the tire than would be good for longevity. 1.25" would probably be better.

-the "flexement" adhesive is the most important part here (in addition to prepping). it's purported to be cyanocrylate, which is super glue. but they vehemently insist it is not super glue, it's their own special formulation that exists nowhere else in the world. and costs $15 for a 30gm bottle. plus shipping. you might do your own research on this.

-if you get tire shine products on the letters, the world will evidently end in a firey doom unless you clean it off immediately with special tire stickers cleaning solution, $10 for 8oz, plus shipping.

-the only possible substance in the universe that you can polish the letters with is tire stickers rubber bright. which is $15 (not available from them atm). and is highly corrosive & will cause burns if it contacts your skin.

===would i do this again===
no. although i love the look, i don't expect these to stay on "permanently". they're just glued on... how long they will stay on? idk, we'll see. also, the amount of tire cleaning to get it to the "clean rag" they recommend is not reasonable. i predict they will fall off in reverse order of installation, because the more i did this, the less thoroughly i cleaned. i would expect other products would be highly similar or identical, i'd probably choose a cheaper one since the fit isn't right anyway.
stickers + acetone + labor + future PITA maintenance = not a good deal (for me anyway).

pre-answered questions:
"generals are crap because you didn't get whatever - idgafs.
"you put goodyear stickers on not-goodyear tires" - idgafs what you think, they're fake anyway.
"how long do the letters last" - idk, i just finished putting them on today.
"will you do mine if i pay you" - not for any amount you'd actually pay.
"what do you think about those tires" - idk, i've only had them ~300mi.
"i don't like how it looks" - idgafs what you think, this write up is to educate about the lettering process.
"the letters are too big" - yes, i think i already covered that.

Last edited by robertd33; 08-19-2021 at 06:24 AM.
robertd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:37 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
No.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #3
Snakely

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertd33 View Post
pre-answered questions:
"generals are crap because you didn't get whatever - idgafs.
"you put goodyear stickers on not-goodyear tires" - idgafs what you think, they're fake anyway.
"how long do the letters last" - idk, i just finished putting them on today.
"will you do mine if i pay you" - not for any amount you'd actually pay.
"what do you think about those tires" - idk, i've only had them ~300mi.
"i don't like how it looks" - idgafs what you think, this write up is to educate about the lettering process.
"the letters are too big" - yes, i think i already covered that.

They are reminiscent of the white letters on the old 'billboard' tires on some cobras.

a random example...
Old 08-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
I see lettering on tires pretty regularly here including a couple that work by me. interestingly it's mostly on chargers. can't say i've seen a 'maro or 'stang yet here.
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

GD bro, your car looks sweet. Super clean. Shiney like ice. Window tint?
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:35 PM   #6
robertd33

Drives: 2018 2ss redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaOrange View Post
GD bro, your car looks sweet. Super clean. Shiney like ice. Window tint?
thanks!
i put on CQuartz UK 3.0 about a year ago, also on inside & outside of the wheels (including lug nut pockets) has definitely made washing easier.
the windows are tinted 35% & windshield is 20% (i think).
robertd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #7
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
thanks!
i put on CQuartz UK 3.0 about a year ago, also on inside & outside of the wheels (including lug nut pockets) has definitely made washing easier.
the windows are tinted 35% & windshield is 20% (i think).
Well dude. You found a nice look. I'm not normally into the white ones, but this looks great. Kudos.
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #8
bobfic

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Hell Yea....Brings back memories....You have my vote.
bobfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:03 PM   #9
BlkNight_18

Drives: 18' 2SS M6 Triple Black
looks awesome bro!
BlkNight_18 is offline   Reply With Quote