#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #29
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I've always been surprised that the 4C didn't catch on with the autocross crowd. I've literally never seen one at any event, anywhere. You'd think it would be amazeballs for that. And the Street (nee Stock) rules allow a swap of one swaybar, so you could install a bigger rear bar to improve front grip.
Neither have I seen Elise, or even newer Miata at my local one.

Autocross itself is pretty low-cost so I think it generally attracts cars that also cost less. Granted, I have seen cars like BMW i8 run at the local one, but usually the cars at Autocross tend to be more budget, or at least "budget" cars that are heavily modified.

Even I personally have started to move away from Autocross as I shift more towards track driving after I switched from my RX-8 to my current Camaro.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #30
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Neither have I seen Elise, or even newer Miata at my local one.

Autocross itself is pretty low-cost so I think it generally attracts cars that also cost less. Granted, I have seen cars like BMW i8 run at the local one, but usually the cars at Autocross tend to be more budget, or at least "budget" cars that are heavily modified.

Even I personally have started to move away from Autocross as I shift more towards track driving after I switched from my RX-8 to my current Camaro.
You might need to find a better autocross scene! Around the country, B Street (where our 1LEs go) is dominated by twice-as-expensive BMW M2 Comps. F Street has been taken over by E90 M3s. Super Street is a playground for Porsche GT3s and GT4s (and the C8 is starting to show up and do well), and has been won in a current NSX recently. Locally we get quite a few less competitive expensive cars, and Elises were pretty popular for a while around the country. Certainly new Miatas are popular. And yet...no Alfa C4.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:53 PM   #31
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
OP,

The way you describe your 4C made me think of the ZLE. Maybe that is what you should try and see how you like. The ZLE would probably put a big smile on your face.. of course right now, it will cost you and arm and two legs lol

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2021, 06:33 AM   #32
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
JK001,
If front end grip is lacking in the 4C some tires and/or wider rims/tires (but love those factory rims) can make a big difference in grip and feel. What tires are you running on the 4C?

Its the only thing that touches the road
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:01 PM   #33
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
OP,

The way you describe your 4C made me think of the ZLE. Maybe that is what you should try and see how you like. The ZLE would probably put a big smile on your face.. of course right now, it will cost you and arm and two legs lol

If his concern is size and weight I don't see how going to an even heavier car helps. Don't get me wrong, I would take a ZLE over a 4C every time, but I'm not sure the OP would.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:36 PM   #34
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
If his concern is size and weight I don't see how going to an even heavier car helps. Don't get me wrong, I would take a ZLE over a 4C every time, but I'm not sure the OP would.
Yes he mentioned weight and size but also comfort of the MRC. Then on post 26, he stayed "Yes, the 4C is absolutely a single purpose car, that's why I bought it. It's very very immediate in all inputs, great brakes, visceral 1.75l engine that sounds fantastic through the Ti Akrapovic center exhaust, and extremely stiff chassis and suspension (mine has the factory track suspension too). What it doesn't have is front end stability and grip at 9-10/10s. Thats my biggest disappointment with the car"

That's exactly how I would describe the ZLE and add the instant torque/power in almost all gears.. then the OP can have a Camaro that would be similar or even better than the 4C.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #35
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
My previous track & auto-x car was a 1st gen Miata with Ohlins suspension. Weighed about 2200# and had such responsive handling. But after 8 years, I was starting to get scared driving it amongst huge vehicles on the freeway, wanted something safer with more power, and was just ready for something new.
I test drove the SS 1LE 6 speed and the LS V6 1LE. I felt the SS 1LE was the better car, but the V6 version feels lighter and more tossable. Between that, the 10k price difference, and the difference in consumption of gas/tires/brake pads, I went with the V6. I prefer to be at 3500# or under for a track car, as I think something is lost once weight goes north of that. So I feel the OP's concern.
However, all Camaro 1LEs are *great* dance partners on the track. Whereas a car such as the Miata or 4C is like dancing with a gymnast - light, quick & agile, the Camaro is a very good dancer even though she is a big girl. Spend a day on the track with a Camaro and by the end, you realize that she is a ton of fun and is a great dancer. Now you might want to stick with the gymnast dance partner, but don't think the big girl can't meet your needs. It comes down to preference.

Ideally you could keep both the 4C and an SS 1LE in your garage, since they are both great and have totally different feel.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #36
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Lots and lots of good comments here. Yes, ideally I would love to have the 4C and a ss-1le Camaro. And I can afford it, just would to retire early :>

So, the 4C is getting listed on BaT. The real sensible choice would be the new gr86. It is hard to argue with folks like Jason Cammisa. But if someone wants selle a black 1LE stock or FBO, it would be very tempting
https://youtu.be/QaR843im04A
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #37
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
Lots and lots of good comments here. Yes, ideally I would love to have the 4C and a ss-1le Camaro. And I can afford it, just would to retire early :>

So, the 4C is getting listed on BaT. The real sensible choice would be the new gr86. It is hard to argue with folks like Jason Cammisa. But if someone wants selle a black 1LE stock or FBO, it would be very tempting
https://youtu.be/QaR843im04A
Good choice my friend. 1LE and something light and nimble. I think it would be fun to have that combination. The 86 will allow you to go all out and not even break the speed limit. You can pull a drift at 20mph in the 86. In the 1LE, the limits are SO much higher that before you even get going you're in the "reckless driving" territory.

I appreciate the 86, though I could never have it as my only "fun" car. Because I feel the need, the need for speed. And the 1LE delivers there in spades.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote