BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-15-2021, 06:04 AM   #15
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
That seems highly unlikely:
/
Still, as long as a reputable tire shop does not check the TRUE damage, then it is all speculation.
We do not know for certain if there was still -maybe- sufficient air / pressure inside the tire, that was just about able to "save" it from damage.

If the above case happens to be true (and there was actually still a minimal amount of air inside the tire), then according to your thesis, every time a tire is driven not within its ideal pressure boundaries, the owner should immediately scrap that tire and buy a new one.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #16
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Still, as long as a reputable tire shop does not check the TRUE damage, then it is all speculation.
We do not know for certain if there was still -maybe- sufficient air / pressure inside the tire, that was just about able to "save" it from damage.

If the above case happens to be true (and there was actually still a minimal amount of air inside the tire), then according to your thesis, every time a tire is driven not within its ideal pressure boundaries, the owner should immediately scrap that tire and buy a new one.
Yeah, I realize by the nature of this being a camaro site it's full of bad ideas. He was pretty clear and based on the information we have, it's likely that the sidewall is compromised. Notice I used the word "likely". That's a different word than "absolutely certain", but given the information, it's a lot better course of action to assume this until proven otherwise, rather than hoping for a chance that maybe it's ok and using that to rationalize or justify continued driving on it. That would be great if it's the outcome, but it's a hell lot smarter to assume what the information leads us to at this point. Otherwise, back to dumpster-diving for perfectly fine tires...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:18 AM   #17
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Yeah, I realize by the nature of this being a camaro site it's full of bad ideas. He was pretty clear and based on the information we have, it's likely that the sidewall is compromised. Notice I used the word "likely". That's a different word than "absolutely certain", but given the information, it's a lot better course of action to assume this until proven otherwise, rather than hoping for a chance that maybe it's ok and using that to rationalize or justify continued driving on it. That would be great if it's the outcome, but it's a hell lot smarter to assume what the information leads us to at this point. Otherwise, back to dumpster-diving for perfectly fine tires...
Agreed
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:43 PM   #18
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I would replace a tire if I drove on it with pressure low enough to look like the picture posted previously. There may be no visible sign of damage even if you dismount the tire but the internal construction would likely be damaged by driving on it like that and continuing to use the tire could cause a blowout that could damage the car and/or cause you to crash...not worth the risk.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:47 AM   #19
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The crappy part is the treadwear relative to the other tire. 2 weeks into owning my 2010 Camaro SS, I picked up a nail in the sidewall. So $600 later...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:54 AM   #20
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
runflats suck for performance i always have a spare tire or 2 in my garage lol just in case
Old 08-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #21
D_H

Drives: '19 Camaro M1SS1LE
This is kind of funny. Seems it turned into a debate on whether or not to repair the tire. There's no way I'm doing that. I'll be getting a new set all the way around.

I was just really surprised on how the tire acted when I got a flat and then drove on it for quite a distance with the tire never allowing the wheel to sit on the ground.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:57 PM   #22
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_H View Post
This is kind of funny. Seems it turned into a debate on whether or not to repair the tire. There's no way I'm doing that. I'll be getting a new set all the way around.

I was just really surprised on how the tire acted when I got a flat and then drove on it for quite a distance with the tire never allowing the wheel to sit on the ground.
Same here. I thought they were run flat, as I drove several miles with a hole in my tire. Funny thing is the tire sensor did not reflect any air loss. I only noticed when I pulled over to use the restroom, when I started the car the low tire pressure light came on. Took it to a gas station and put some air, then drove 10 miles to the nearest Discount Tire, where they fixed it for free.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #23
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
That’s good to know. I occasionally think what will I do if I get a flat. SS so I don’t have the 1LE tire goop and compressor. I should probably get one. lol
Old 09-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #24
D_H

Wow 10 miles huh. Quite a ways...

I got almost 14,000 miles out of the Supercar 3. Real good for those tires. I really considered getting another set due to how they perform when they loose all air pressure.

I've installed the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S now. We'll see how they do. They are a lot more spongy feeling, softer. Sport mode now feels like Touring mode felt.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:48 PM   #25
D_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Did you use the inflator/sealant contraption in your trunk, I believe all 1LE's come with it? I agree with the others saying the tire is scrap.
Hey sorry, I didn't see this question. I know it's old now but I thought I'd still reply back.

No, I did not use the inflator/sealant. I'm the second owner on the car at 2k miles when I got it, and my car didn't have the kit (RPO code KTI) in the trunk. I need to get it. If I had it, I would not have used the sealant, but I probably would have tried the inflator.

Just so that others know, the tire had a pretty good tear on the inside, maybe 4", where the sidewall meets the tread.