Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-09-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
cre8fun

Drives: audi R8; ss 1le; F250
warranted blown motors on track?

Just wondering if anyone has any real world results for how GM handles powertrain breakage on track. I heard through the grapevine that one of the GM engineers lost his personal 1LE motor on track and GM covered it. Glad to hear it but would like some reassurance how it has worked/will work with real world people.

I know a guy with an '18 that lost motor on track and it was replaced but it was done under the known issue with the oil pump. that seems out of the scope of the general warranty.

similarly, Does anyone know the guy who's '21 1LE blew at VIR and caught fire this week? (for those that don't know, motor blew, oil caused fire under car, rear bumper melted, driver was fine). I'm wondering if GM will replace the motor and wondering how they handled the resulting body damage. if someone knows him, I'd love some update as he moves through the process. would like to know that GM handles it admirably.

thanks
cre8fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Question 1: is the car still under warranty? If yes, what track.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:37 PM   #3
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
There have been several...more than not, it seems. A search ought to bring it up.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:39 PM   #4
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Everything I've heard here says that Chevy fully backs up a blown motor (on track) provided that you haven't modified the engine in any way (including catch can, etc). They include a high performance manual with the 1LE and (I think) the regular SS that tells you useful stuff for setting up the car for the track (alignment, tire pressure, Dot 4 break fluid, oil, fluid change maintenance intervals measured in track hours). So seems to support that the car is covered on the track.

Would like to hear more info about the 2021 1LE owner with the blown engine at VIR, as that's my "home track" and I was just there with my 2021 1LE last week. Of course would feel better if there was a known cause like over-rev on down-shift or modified engine, etc.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:09 AM   #5
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
As long as the event is not competitive(meaning, no time recorded, no prizes, etc.), the track warranty should cover everything if your car is stock, so open lapping or HPDE are fine for that.

As for catch can, you could probably remove it without any trace if that's a concern.

If you want to know how that works in real life, I know a case over at CorvetteForum where the dude had some trouble covering his C7's blown engine on the track. It will depend on your dealer and also your particular case. There is always a small risk with that on a track.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:24 AM   #6
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I personally know someone who had their engine replaced from blowing it up on track. The magnets and helmet were still on the car as it sat at the dealer waiting for the motor. It was a stock car that I'm assuming had an oil pump failure, but I can't recall at this point. It was a couple of years ago. Like most warranties, once you've modified your car it's up to the dealership if those modifications are what caused the failure. Your results will vary based on the dealership you go to, and the manager that's there.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Had a weeping water pump gasket occur at a track day last year, my service writer asked how the event went and told me they would have my car back in 3-4 days. Not even a doubt they would cover it. He told me everything is covered by GM for track use as long as you didnt mod it to the moon.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
just had a guy i know have his motor blow at fontana a few months ago 20 1le took it to chevy about a month later he got his car back no problems
Old 06-10-2021, 01:02 PM   #9
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Like the others have said, may depend on the dealer. But a friend of mine had a motor blow at Dominion Raceway in Virginia. The dealer from 20 miles up the interstate sent a flatbed to the track and towed the car back. Thirteen days later the dealer called and said his car was ready. All it cost him was gas money for the ride down to pick it up. For what it's worth, he was running a catch can and a cat-back exhaust.
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
cre8fun

Drives: audi R8; ss 1le; F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
just had a guy i know have his motor blow at fontana a few months ago 20 1le took it to chevy about a month later he got his car back no problems
good to know.

I've always heard as long as you don 't modify it and do fluid changes as noted in the manual, it will be fine. but always nice to hear real life warranted repairs rather than paper promises.

As for the guy I mentioned at VIR - no other details than, it was on Monday, it was a '21, had about 6K on it, said it was not modified and blew toward the end of the back straight. He said he felt it lose power, he looked in the rear view and saw flames. he stopped and got out before the roller coaster. Video from a few cars back showed a plume of white smoke come from the car towards the end of the braking zone (top of the hill).
cre8fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

yea his car was stock motor wise just different brakes/gm intake and some suspension mods but no motor work im full bolt ons and tune and have 31k on my car with about 6-10 track days a year and all good so far!
Old 06-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #12
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
I have a buddy that blew up his FBO '19 1LE a few weeks ago at a track day.

They originally were going to cover lifter replacement under warranty. A few weeks later GM reached out to him to let him know they'd be replacing the entire engine.

Definitely seems it depends on the dealer
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyazzata29 View Post
I have a buddy that blew up his FBO '19 1LE a few weeks ago at a track day.

They originally were going to cover lifter replacement under warranty. A few weeks later GM reached out to him to let him know they'd be replacing the entire engine.

Definitely seems it depends on the dealer

oh wow yea i had a dealer take care of my cobalt ss when i blew up the computer/fuse box at the track tuning it and then also my cruze when it blew a motor at less than 20k lol thank god the camaro has been good to me tho
Old 06-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #14
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I know someone who blew up the C7 Z06 transmission on track. Fully warrantied.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote