Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
Review: Dynamic Friction Track Day Pads

I tried Dynamic Friction (DFC) Track Day Pads

Short version:

2016 Camaro 1SS (4 Pison Brembo). Dynamic Friction "Track Day" pads (available on RockAuto): Surprisingly Good. I recommend them for anyone running in Novice or Intermediate group looking for a streetable pad that can handle real track use.

Long Version
With zero reviews out there, I figured I'd take one for the team, and try a set of Dynamic Friction "Track Day" pads as they are listed on RockAuto.

Car: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8 w/Mag Ride and NPP Exhaust (4-Piston Brembos). All stock with exception of track wheels: 9" wide 18" dia. wheels with 275/40R18 Hankook RS4's on all four corners, (and Motul 600 Brake Fluid).

My past experience with pads: I liked the modulation of the Stock Brembo (Ferodo) pads, especially for autocross, but on the track I tend to get them too hot and get too much pad transfer onto the rotor (causing the brake judder commonly mis-diagnosed as a warped rotor). Switching to Powerstop TrackDay pads worked for me, they are aggresive enough to clean themselves, but they are noisy, dusty (the dust is highly corrosive if you get it wet), and you can't autocross with them. (You can, and I have many times, but they aren't great). When heated on track the Powerstops do have more "initial bite" than the stock pads, but I can't say that I prefer it. My biggest complaint is how fast they wear: I can get at most 2 track days out of a set of front pads.

Last weekend, I ran the Dynamic Friction "Track day" pads as they were labeled on Rockauto. They were 10-15% cheaper than the Powerstop Trackday pads. I did a few short trips of light street driving, and they immediately reminded me of the OEM Brembo pads. After a couple days of street driving, I liked the pedal feel and absolute lack of squealing, and even the dust level wasn't bad. (The dust wasn't even that bad after my attempt at a proper burnishing, Note: I was running my flat black wheels). Then I hit the track at Grattan Raceway in Michigan. I don't think too many people would describe Grattan as being super hard on brakes, but the end of the 135+ mph straight away and the 100mph braking zone going into the hairpin will definitely test your confidence, and I never once felt like I couldn't trust the brakes. They have more compressibility than the Powerstop Trackdays, but in a nice way to allow smoother modulation. For the people that complain about the stock pads not having enough "initial bite" these may not be the solution you were looking for, but I liked the way they felt. We had 4-1/2 sessions (twenty minutes each) where I pushed pretty hard right from the get-go. It was a cool dry day (40 Degrees before the sun came up, but closer to 60 or 70 degrees in the afternoon with direct hot sun all day heating the track. So basically a perfect day. Wear was comparable to the Powerstop pads, so not a solution to my wearing out too fast problem, but at least they are cheaper (for now), and better at everything else!

As for how hard I was pushing (and how fast of a driver I am): I ran a personal best that day of 1:28.641. I would rate my driving style as a bit ham fisted, and thus fairly hard on my brakes. I've run 25+ track days at 5 different tracks, so not a newbie, but by no means and expert.

For comparison my best lap times per Track Addict with external 10Hz Qstarz GPS:
Grattan: 1.28.641 (on DFC Brakes in 2021)
Grattan: 1.29.340 (on Powerstop Brakes in 2020)
Waterford Hills: 1.18.719
Gingerman: 1.43.688
Pitt Race: 2.01.739
Mid Ohio (with Chicane): 1.42.589

**NOTE: Problem with the hardware: These have the weights on the tops of the pads to stop the squealing (which really works, not a hint of squeal on street or track) just like the OEM pads. They say they are built to "OEM Spec" but they neglected to machine/mold the relief in the corner of the weights for the hardware (spring clips). So as the pad wears down to about half thickness, the weights will bottom out on the spring clips. I re-used my OEM clips and didn't see the problem until AFTER I'd ran my first track day and worn them down to just before they would interfere. Dynamic Friction does sell hardware (separately), but from the pictures, it appears that their clips are "OEM Spec"... meaning they will have the exact same clearance issue. So instead of ordering those, I ordered a set of "Carleson" branded spring clips because they are flat and I can verify that they fit underneath. (See pictures).
Attached Images

DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Thanks! Great info!
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i used the powertstop track day ones when i had my ss calipers still now that i have the zzp bbk its the same as 1le so i recently put on some hawk dtc60 and they are a good pad but man they are hard on rotors
Old 06-10-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
ctanferno22

Drives: Chevy Camaro Chevy Silverado
I'm getting about 3 days out of the PSTDs at mid Ohio and Nelson's. Want more bite. Probably go dtc60s but I can't get past the price.
ctanferno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctanferno22 View Post
I'm getting about 3 days out of the PSTDs at mid Ohio and Nelson's. Want more bite. Probably go dtc60s but I can't get past the price.

i found mine on sale on tirerack but most guys just get them from kns !
Old 06-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
The owner at KNS will give you enough info to short circuit your brain.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:36 PM   #7
DetCam

Update: autocrossed with them today. They are now my favorite pad. Excellent for autocross. Didn't even dust that bad (all things considered).
Old 07-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
Just the info I was looking for, I have the powerstop track day pads on my r32 skyline and its only done 1 track day with mostly street driving and the pads have already reached half life and dust crazy. No squeal from them but I can imagine how fast they wear on a car 1000lbs heavier
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:47 PM   #9
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
The owner at KNS will give you enough info to short circuit your brain.
Ken is "passionate"!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #10
DetCam

Did my 2nd track day with the Dynamic Friction pads at a much faster track (Pitt Race). The good: I didn't die. The bad: they didn't hold up as well. Pedal was too soft to inspire confidence, and they didn't outlast the PowerStop pads. I just barely finished the 5th session... I stupidly attempted to go out for the 6th session and immediately went metal on metal (As evidenced by the photo). Yeah, that's on me: I didn't check the back side wear.

I switched back to Powerstop and hit Mid-Ohio, firm pedal came right back. (Didn't touch the fluid... so definitely a pad thing).

Final thoughts: Good cheap alternative for Track Days for Novice, maybe even an Intermediate driver under "less strenuous" conditions. Still a great pad for Autocross. But definitely not as good as Powerstop TrackDay pads for HPDE.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #11
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
good to know, I ended up going with the powerstops right after my last post.
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #12
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I used PSTD for awhile. Great track pad for the price, but they create so much dust the car was covered after one session. Also give off a ton of sparks at night which was fun. Very hard on wheel finish so clean off quickly. Switched to DTC60s for a lot more bite but that also means more heat so rotor ring replacement is an annual deal.. Tirerack has the best price.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:20 PM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I used PSTD for awhile. Great track pad for the price, but they create so much dust the car was covered after one session. Also give off a ton of sparks at night which was fun. Very hard on wheel finish so clean off quickly. Switched to DTC60s for a lot more bite but that also means more heat so rotor ring replacement is an annual deal.. Tirerack has the best price.
Hawk pads above HPS and "Performance Ceramic" have earned reputations for causing abrasive rotor wear.

Norm