Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
2023 F-150 Lightning EV truck

Well boys n girls...what do we think?

Quick thoughts:
- Props to Ford for likely being able to claim they were first to the market with a full size EV truck. (although the Silverado EV should be available around the same time)
- It looks like an actual truck, instead of some dumb futuristic vehicle from a movie.
- Speaking of looks, I think its just OK. Not bad, not great. I think the gas-fed 150 is better looking. That lightbar stretching across the entire front, just seems a bit much to me (see last point above) That said, it will definitely get more head turns simply due to the lighting features it has.
- The idea of a huge "frunk" like that in a truck seems awesome to me.
- Love all the available plug-ins for tools, power a camp site...heck, power your home in a pinch.
- See how much weight is in your bed, or the trailer tongue weight....cool!
- If it handles and drives as good as they say, that would be a big bonus in my book.
- Another EV with a huge freaking screen tacked on to the dash. For the love of all things good....when will that stupid trend stop!!??
- 300 mile range is OK. I think GM may be able to do better.
- 150kW charging...seems a bit on the slow side. I think Tesla and GM will do better.
- $40K starting price. Estimated 55K for XLT. This is actually not bad. I wonder if GM can match or beat that for the Silverado EV?
Old 05-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Interesting. Two things I don't like about it: It's an EV. It's a Ford.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
by my math...on the megacharger it gets 22mpg equivalent on the 300 mile version and 16mpg on the 80amp home charger roughly the same on the 48amp version. assuming $0.12 per kWh

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2022-for...013000744.html

I do like the IRS portion of the vehicle.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.

Last edited by FarmerFran; 05-20-2021 at 11:16 AM.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
- Another EV with a huge freaking screen tacked on to the dash. For the love of all things good....when will that stupid trend stop!!??

This huge screen trend would be okay if they would just do landscape oriented screens. But I guess we have to integrate every center stack control into a touchscreen now so...

Quote:
- $40K starting price. Estimated 55K for XLT. This is actually not bad. I wonder if GM can match or beat that for the Silverado EV?

I would hope so. Lyriq is at $60k base and it has all the Cadillac bells and whistles so a base Silverado EV should come in considerably less.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #5
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
This huge screen trend would be okay if they would just do landscape oriented screens. But I guess we have to integrate every center stack control into a touchscreen now so...

I would hope so. Lyriq is at $60k base and it has all the Cadillac bells and whistles so a base Silverado EV should come in considerably less.
I absolutely love the uconnect 12" in my 2020 RAM. and 300 miles is no where near enough for me.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I absolutely love the uconnect 12" in my 2020 RAM. and 300 miles is no where near enough for me.
They made an effort to integrate it though and not just tack on a tablet.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #7
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I like that it looks like an F-150, love the front trunk and all the outlets and the performance is a huge win.

Range still leaves a bit to be desired but with all models being AWD I bet that takes some of the range away, and the fact that all models are crew cabs.

The standard range battery would be able to get me to and from work all week on a single charge, but charging still a concern to me.

I think for Ford they hit a homerun. Don't know if I would want one, but I would honestly consider it - mostly based on the looks lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #8
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I’d pick a Powerboost over that all day

You gotta start somewhere tho
Old 05-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Agree on Powerboost. That's the best implementation given all current restraints on infrastructure. The Lightning will be a good truck for many folks that don't need an actual truck and don't plan on towing a significant distance.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #10
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
The front end appears bland compared to the nonEV F150s. It has some impressive features like all the external power connections. I must admit that the $40000 base price was shocking. Props to Ford as they offer the Mach1 and F150 for many middle class folks. Still waiting for an available EV that has looks and performance at a price I feel is reasonable.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The price seems reasonable I guess for a new truck....Just wondering how it compares to comparable ICE Ford trucks...

One thing irks me about EV pricing is if it's higher than usual, it gets explained away by stating in general what you will save in gas. This is too arbitrary and should not be a justification for what EVs cost.

All we have heard is how much less complex and inexpensive to build, and becoming less expensive over time to build better batteries, less required maintenance and operating expenses, etc.,etc.

These major changes to EVs over ICE should show up in a less expensive vehicle to purchase and not be based on what a comparable ICE vehicle costs.

Pass these supposed savings on to the customers with a better, significantly lower MSRP than ICE vehicles, and EVs will be even more popular.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #12
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The price seems reasonable I guess for a new truck....Just wondering how it compares to comparable ICE Ford trucks...

One thing irks me about EV pricing is if it's higher than usual, it gets explained away by stating in general what you will save in gas. This is too arbitrary and should not be a justification for what EVs cost.

All we have heard is how much less complex and inexpensive to build, and becoming less expensive over time to build better batteries, less required maintenance and operating expenses, etc.,etc.

These major changes to EVs over ICE should show up in a less expensive vehicle to purchase and not be based on what a comparable ICE vehicle costs.

Pass these supposed savings on to the customers with a better, significantly lower MSRP than ICE vehicles, and EVs will be even more popular.
rhetorical... but how many people does EV put out of business? No need for mechanics (well less), no need for oil change techs, parts departments...etc

Places like auto parts stores and quick lubes better be preparing for a grim future.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #13
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

A crew cab F-150 5.5 foot bed 4X4 with the only option being the 5.0 starts at 48K so the Lightning XLT starting at 53 seems fair, IIRC it comes with some nicer features standard like a 12" screen. Add the 302A package to a regular F-150 to get some the features the lightning has standard and you are at 51.8.

If you really wanted apples to apples powerwise add the 3.5 ecoboost and you are 52.4 or if you add the power boost to get some of that electric goodness you are at 54.3 so I would say it's priced right in line with a comparable gas F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
rhetorical... but how many people does EV put out of business? No need for mechanics (well less), no need for oil change techs, parts departments...etc

Places like auto parts stores and quick lubes better be preparing for a grim future.
On the contrary they might see a boom as people hold on to ICE vehicles longer and refuse to change.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #14
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
A crew cab F-150 5.5 foot bed 4X4 with the only option being the 5.0 starts at 48K so the Lightning XLT starting at 53 seems fair, IIRC it comes with some nicer features standard like a 12" screen. Add the 302A package to a regular F-150 to get some the features the lightning has standard and you are at 51.8.

If you really wanted apples to apples powerwise add the 3.5 ecoboost and you are 52.4 or if you add the power boost to get some of that electric goodness you are at 54.3 so I would say it's priced right in line with a comparable gas F-150

On the contrary they might see a boom as people hold on to ICE vehicles longer and refuse to change.
A spike not a boom