Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
Jerry's 2LT

Drives: 2LT, Blue Velvet, Kalahari, Convert
Just picked up my car. Parts on order. They will have to have it for a few days. The part is a hydraulic cylinder with a push rod that is down in the lower mechanism. They have to remove the rear seat, etc to get to it.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
fedupdave42169

Drives: 2017 Camaro as convertible
Same thing happened to be but the push rod hit the body part that is just behind the seat when the top is down so now I have a dent and a chip in paint.
fedupdave42169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Not sure I stated it, but they ordered a whole new convertible top, so once that comes in everything will be done (panel, etc.).

Question, you mention the hydraulic cylinder, when the top is replaced is that replaced as well? Or is that something I need bring up as a concern?

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #18
Jerry's 2LT

From your earlier posts reporting the problems you are having, I would assume that they are going to replace the top fabric with the window. The only framework they will replace is that which is responsible for your damage. If a bad cylinder was responsible for the damage then that should be replaced.

They need to determine what caused the original damage so they can replace the correct parts.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #19
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
Yep. This is a known problem and there was another thread on this very thing. I saw it happening on the passenger side after reading the thread so I took it in to be fixed as a recall item. Since then, it has been perfect.

When I took it in, to make sure it didn't cause a problem (like yours), the mechanic ripped off the part that slides in...he said that would prevent any damage until the parts came in. . .and he was right.
you mention recall item, do you have a number for the recall?

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #20
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
you mention recall item, do you have a number for the recall?
I did not have any sort of recall number. Sorry. To make sure it wouldn’t cause further problems, the mechanic ripped the top flap off and ordered replacement parts. In a couple weeks when I M back with the mechanics, if nobody else posts about a recall, I will ask them if there is a recall number.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 07-03-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #21
Jerry's 2LT

Got my car back from the dealer yesterday after the warranty work.

They ordered the cylinder and instead of a week it was almost two before the part arrived.

I took the car in and after 3 days they told me the part arrived minus a required retainer clip. So another day delay.

Now the top functions properly, no clanging or cracking sounds.

As an aside, I specifically asked that they not wash the car because they have a washer that is so brutal they feel the need to place a disclaimer on your work order that says they are not responsible for a cracked windshield! That disclaimer was not on my initial work order, only on the final sign off (which I did not initial). Guess what, they washed the car.

As clarification, the reason I asked them to not wash the car is for obvious reasons like swirl marks, and I didn't want some boom to be dropped onto the top. But bear in mind that in Las Vegas yesterday the temp reached 103, so of course there were a few water spots. Fortunately the 3 coats of Blackfire Crystal Seal prevented the spots from etching into the paint.

Oh I almost forgot, I had to touch up 4 small paint chips on the tonneau and had to clean a few grease marks off the leather seats.

All in all a typical dealer visitation, but at least I can now take advantage of a convertible top.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #22
JoeGSr

Drives: 2017 LS Convertible
Broke our panel as well. Dealer "fixed" it by replacing the panel and putting white grease on the door that slides.

Worked exactly once before we heard nasty noises again. Back to the dealer, couldn't figure out what was wrong. Looked around and noticed a large plastic clip inside broke as well (showing the good and broken sides). Emailed the pictures to the dealer so they can fix it right this time.
Attached Images

JoeGSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #23
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Had both of my panels replaced last week under warranty. One cause it was FUBAR and the other as preventative. The engineer that came up with the design for that should be kneecapped with a .22.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #24
Jerry's 2LT

The way it was explained to me as I watched the service writer testing mine before the repair, when lowering the top, if you see it is retracting with a slight tilt, that is the problem.

The bias to one side or another causes the framework to move from a smooth up/down motion to a slight sideways motion. That framework then makes contact against the panel.

The bias and tilt is the result of loss of hydraulic pressure in one of the cylinders.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #25
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Just got mine fixed on the driver/left side, GM part # 84397871

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-84397871.html

Last edited by somedude; 08-23-2018 at 12:15 AM.
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #26
Keifer
Summit White 2SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS, 2018 Tahoe
I have been told that something inside the panel that slides during top operation can break with as little as 10 lbs of pressure applied. Any chance people are climbing in the back seat while the top is down and trying to steady themselves there on that panel?

Just an FYI for future reference.

Last edited by Keifer; 08-17-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Keifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #27
Jerry's 2LT

When the service advisor was looking over my car, he inadvertently had his hand on the retractable panel. Without realizing it he put enough force on it to move it out of the track. Fortunately it popped back into place. He noticed that I had put white lithium grease on the tracks and said that was a good idea as he had noted that a lot of cars had flaps that would hang up occasionally.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #28
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Wish I had thought to take some pics while they had my panels off for replacement. Took all of 10 minutes to do both sides. Way to complicated for what it accomplishes and is about as durable as a wet Klenex. Dealership does not fool with the tops. The have a shop that does all their stuff for them. I was talking to the head tech while he was finishing up on my car, showing me how everything worked, his last words to me were " If you keep this car any length of time, I will see you again."
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote