Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #29
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Steering Shake under Stress

Just had a track night last night and about 5 minutes into the third session I got a service power steering message and the wheel began to shake violently, rather scary coming out of a turn and hard on the accelerator. Same symptoms as op I went very slowly back to the pits and it kept happening even when car turned off only after the electronics completely went to sleep did it stop. Started car back up and no problem but I was to rattled to return to the track and there were only a few minutes left. Made me mad since i had finally gotten some clear track to run some good clean laps. I will call dealer and ask about the reflash.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #30
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
Just had a track night last night and about 5 minutes into the third session I got a service power steering message and the wheel began to shake violently, rather scary coming out of a turn and hard on the accelerator. Same symptoms as op I went very slowly back to the pits and it kept happening even when car turned off only after the electronics completely went to sleep did it stop. Started car back up and no problem but I was to rattled to return to the track and there were only a few minutes left. Made me mad since i had finally gotten some clear track to run some good clean laps. I will call dealer and ask about the reflash.
Service bulletin 19-NA-130.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #31
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Steering issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Service bulletin 19-NA-130.
Thanks
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:08 AM   #32
Moracha

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Sharing my experience in hopes its useful to someone in the future. I had the same steering shaking problem the OP described on my 2018 SS1LE.

Here's a video of the wheel shaking, pulled over to the side of the road with engine off as OP describes. After about 60s parked the electrical power seems to reset and you can restart the car as usual.

https://youtu.be/ht1pUOliYMw

Wheel shaking happened once in the first 10k miles, took it to the dealer and they returned the car to me after test driving it unable to reproduce the issue with no codes found and no work done. Took it back to a second dealer at 20k miles when it happened the third time, they reprogrammed the steering under 19-NA-130 which didn't fix the issue. Essentially the steering got progressively worse and the steering wheel shaking got more and more frequent to where the car was basically undrivable. Even had the 19-NA-130 reprogramming done again with no positive effect. Car is now at 30k miles and the last few months have been absolutely awful. The steering got extremely heavy after a minute or two of driving, and after about 30-45 minutes of normal highway driving would trigger the shaking

My car is at the dealer at the moment getting the entire steering rack replaced. Out of warranty it's a $4000 fix, so if you experience anything similar I would highly recommend you pressure your local service department to take care of it before warranty expires. At this point I'm not sure if the root cause is the actual steering rack or an auxilary sensor, but I'll update once I get the car back next week.
Moracha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:05 PM   #33
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moracha View Post
My car is at the dealer at the moment getting the entire steering rack replaced. Out of warranty it's a $4000 fix, so if you experience anything similar I would highly recommend you pressure your local service department to take care of it before warranty expires. At this point I'm not sure if the root cause is the actual steering rack or an auxilary sensor, but I'll update once I get the car back next week.
So what was the result? We're waiting for your information.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19-na-130, power steering issue