Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-14-2021, 08:24 PM   #239
m6-lt1

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Hey guys, really dumb question but I have zero knowledge about electronics. I bought a cable from battery cable USA but they only had red cables in stock. I want to guess the cables are exactly the same but I wasn’t 100% sure. Will this be a problem that I bought a red cable instead of black or does it not matter because they are the same inside? I will be using the cable for the purpose of this thread (engine to chassis ground) as I too sometimes have hot start issues.

Last edited by m6-lt1; 09-14-2021 at 08:46 PM.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #240
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Hey guys, really dumb question but I have zero knowledge about electronics. I bought a cable from battery cable USA but they only had red cables in stock. I want to guess the cables are exactly the same but I wasnít 100% sure. Will this be a problem that I bought a red cable instead of black or does it not matter because they are the same inside? I will be using the cable for the purpose of this thread (engine to chassis ground) as I too sometimes have hot start issues.

No difference. Color helps identify if its a positive (red) or ground (black).

but in your case it'll be a ground wire that's red.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #241
Blobby

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS, V6 A8, vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post

If it were a positive cable and you ordered a black one, Iíd say reorder a red one. Bad things happen when you touch things to a hot line. Red is more of a warning to be super careful about what you touch it with. Plus anyone can clearly see both ends of the cable here and theyíll figure out itís not hot.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #242
oOKhanhOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Here is hoping that new battery added to the ground cable(s) you've added puts your car right and your starting woes are behind you.
I haven't changed it out yet. but lately the car has been starting up cold and warm/hot start just find. as if it never had the starting problem. I wonder if me adding a ground wire from battery to an existing ground post in the trunk helped the vehicle recharge properly? I should get the battery tested again.

I have ground from negative post in the engine bay to engine and ground from battery to existing chassis post in the trunk.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #243
oOKhanhOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
If it were a positive cable and you ordered a black one, Iíd say reorder a red one. Bad things happen when you touch things to a hot line. Red is more of a warning to be super careful about what you touch it with. Plus anyone can clearly see both ends of the cable here and theyíll figure out itís not hot.

That's true. Only m6-lt1 will knows its actually a ground wire.

In that case, just get the 0/2 gauge. a bit thicker and you can get it in black.

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/00-...able-with-ends
Old 09-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #244
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Hey guys, really dumb question but I have zero knowledge about electronics. I bought a cable from battery cable USA but they only had red cables in stock. I want to guess the cables are exactly the same but I wasnít 100% sure. Will this be a problem that I bought a red cable instead of black or does it not matter because they are the same inside? I will be using the cable for the purpose of this thread (engine to chassis ground) as I too sometimes have hot start issues.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
Agreed. The red cable will be fine to use as your new ground connection. It may confuse someone else but you know what you did. It will work fine. I wish you happy starting going forward.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #245
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
I haven't changed it out yet. but lately the car has been starting up cold and warm/hot start just find. as if it never had the starting problem. I wonder if me adding a ground wire from battery to an existing ground post in the trunk helped the vehicle recharge properly? I should get the battery tested again.

I have ground from negative post in the engine bay to engine and ground from battery to existing chassis post in the trunk.
On my car - I have no proof the extra ground cable in the trunk helped but I know it didnít hurt. Itís great your car starts well now. Getting the battery load tested would be a good idea just for peace of mind. Best wishes for your starting worries to be over.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:42 PM   #246
m6-lt1

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Thank you all for the quick reply’s about my red cable issue. Since they are the same I will just spray paint it black or wrap black electrical tape around it
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:06 PM   #247
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Thank you all for the quick replyís about my red cable issue. Since they are the same I will just spray paint it black or wrap black electrical tape around it
Use the tape... It'll be fine...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, SS Logo Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedal Kit, SS Wheel Center Caps, Black Lugs & Locks, GM Body Color Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Hero Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Bumper, Hood, Fenders, Mirrors, Rockers; SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating
The picture on the right, a Gulfstream G600, my work ride...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote