Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 09-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Comp Mode vs PTM question.

I posted this in the 1LE section, but this forum might be a better place to place it.

I decided on Sport mode Competitive Mode as my favorite mode to drive on the street (Sport, and then 2x TCS press). Car is plenty playful, I get good rotation on throttle, and I can light up the tires much easier than in other modes due to TCS being fully off, unlike in PTM where torque is limited due to varying TCS interventions. I can also get Comp mode in Track setting with single TCS button push.

I have a track day coming up in 1 week, and I am toying with the idea of using Sport or Track Comp mode vs PTM Sport 2 or PTM Race.

I might start the day in PTM Sport 2 or Race, and them try Comp mode later in the day.

What are your thoughts on this based on your experiences? I am an advanced level driver with good confidence in being able to manage oversteer. I am not yet totally familiar with the Camaro chassis, as I've only done 1 mostly wet track day so fat with this car. Most of my experience was in a S197 Mustang (which tried to kill me with very quick oversteer anytime I gave it a little too much gas), and a few seasons in a BMW M2 (which was far more progressive and predictable at the limits).
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Start your way in PTM, work your way to sport 2x.

Give yourself room to learn and how to recover.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Start your way in PTM, work your way to sport 2x.

Give yourself room to learn and how to recover.
Vtor has good advise. Start out in PTM Sport1 and go to sport 2 and then up to race. Most of the experienced Zl-1 drivers on a familiar track will run in track mode and race ptm.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreaker View Post
Vtor has good advise. Start out in PTM Sport1 and go to sport 2 and then up to race. Most of the experienced Zl-1 drivers on a familiar track will run in track mode and race ptm.

Same advice. Start in Track mode SPORT 1, once you're familiar with the track and start pushing it in corners and get a feel for the car on the edge step up to Sport 2. Sport 2 will give you a bit more control with the throttle. As you continue to gain speed and confidence you will find Sport 2 limiting your lap times a bit. When you flip the switch to Race just understand it is now on you to keep the car pointed in the right direction, nannies are gone at that point.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:10 PM   #5
5.M0NSTER

Thank you for the advice everyone. Definitely a good idea to work my way up.

Last day I did in the 1LE I made may to sport 1 while it was still damp. And the side slip wan not an issue, but I did feel quite a bit of engine torque reduction in certain areas. Perhaps i start in Sport 2 if it's dry the next day. Than go to Race, and then go to Competitive mode?

I guess my question is if PTM is preparing you to go full off? And if Comp mode comes after you worked your way through PTM, but before full off.

P.S. Here is my best lap on the Ring. 2017 BMW M2, stock everything outside of Cup 2s and with SRF fluid with PFC08 pads.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Comp mode still has stabilitrac, but no TC. It's a holdover from the base SS and I don't think it really has relevance.

I think your end state should be either PTM Race or all controls off.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #7
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
If you're an advance level and know the car and track, I'd use either PTM race or all off. Just don't use all off on a cold track with cold tires. Some of my best best lap times on G3Rs have been with all off.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
In Sport 1 you can hear the exhaust tone change on corner exits when it is saving you from oversteer. It is a good place to start on a track you have never been to before. If you have PDR you can also look at the playback for the flashing traction icon to get an idea of where you might oversteer in less intrusive PTM Modes.

Personally I find that I have a better feel for the car with everything off than in PTM Race. Race will help you slightly in places but I can't always tell when it is helping which can cause me to push past the point where it can help me which gives me less time to recover. It is a personal preference...you can set very fast laps in Sport 1, Sport 2, and Race.

I have never tried competitive mode on track.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Start with PTM Sport 2.
If you notice it intervening on corner exits then go to Race.
Personally it gets in my way at any setting and doesn't allow me what I want the car to do.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
If you're an advance level and know the car and track, I'd use either PTM race or all off. Just don't use all off on a cold track with cold tires. Some of my best best lap times on G3Rs have been with all off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Comp mode still has stabilitrac, but no TC. It's a holdover from the base SS and I don't think it really has relevance.

I think your end state should be either PTM Race or all controls off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
In Sport 1 you can hear the exhaust tone change on corner exits when it is saving you from oversteer. It is a good place to start on a track you have never been to before. If you have PDR you can also look at the playback for the flashing traction icon to get an idea of where you might oversteer in less intrusive PTM Modes.

Personally I find that I have a better feel for the car with everything off than in PTM Race. Race will help you slightly in places but I can't always tell when it is helping which can cause me to push past the point where it can help me which gives me less time to recover. It is a personal preference...you can set very fast laps in Sport 1, Sport 2, and Race.

I have never tried competitive mode on track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Start with PTM Sport 2.
If you notice it intervening on corner exits then go to Race.
Personally it gets in my way at any setting and doesn't allow me what I want the car to do.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did notice the exhaust note change in sport 1 and felt the torque reduction due to slip.

I'll start in Sport 2 in the AM, progress to Track if all feels right around lunch time, and hopefully be able to go full off by the end of the day. Assuming it stays dry and I don't encounter any behaviors I didn't expect along the way.

Thanks again guys!