Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Spring 'tuning' for the SS

I want to clean out as much of the fuel system and intake valves as possible. Given these motors are DI I know fuel additive alone wont clean the intake valves. I was thinking of seafoaming through the brake booster. Any other suggestions / alternatives?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #2
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
I heard chevron tectron is better for the di and easier on the cats than seafoam.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
The problem with DI engines is that no fuel is sprayed onto the backside of the valves or ports to clean them, as opposed to port injection. With EGR and PCV systems in DI cars buildup on the backside of the valves becomes a problem. No fuel additive will help the valve buildup problem on DI engines. Cob blasting is the best way to go about it.

Fuel system cleaner will help the combustion side of the valves and fuel lines but there isn't much buildup if you have 50k miles or less.

Toyota came out with dual injection. Port and Direct. Supposed to be the best of both worlds. Hopefully other companies will follow suit so we don't have to worry about it.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
The problem with DI engines is that no fuel is sprayed onto the backside of the valves or ports to clean them, as opposed to port injection. With EGR and PCV systems in DI cars buildup on the backside of the valves becomes a problem. No fuel additive will help the valve buildup problem on DI engines. Cob blasting is the best way to go about it.

Fuel system cleaner will help the combustion side of the valves and fuel lines but there isn't much buildup if you have 50k miles or less.

Toyota came out with dual injection. Port and Direct. Supposed to be the best of both worlds. Hopefully other companies will follow suit so we don't have to worry about it.
What is Cob blasting? And will Seafoam through the brake booster line not help the backside of the valves?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Meh, 3 years in and I can't for the life of me find via search, a single image of a camaro LT1 with dirty valves (much less, dirtier than prior generation non-DI engines).

just images of other engines that aren't the camaro's LT1 and a bunch of theoreticals and marketing material from catch can manufacturers.

Seems like if it was such a big problem, we'd see more evidence being posted.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
What is Cob blasting? And will Seafoam through the brake booster line not help the backside of the valves?
It's a procedure that shoots corn cob bits into the ports while the valves are closed to clean the backside of the valves. The only thing that touches the backside of the valves in a DI engine is air (and oil and exhaust from PCV and EGR systems, hence the problem). You would have to shoot something very very aggressive into the intake tract which isn't recommended. To my knowledge nothing like that exists or actually works. I only know about all of this because my previous car was a WRX. And at 30k miles it looked like you dipped the valves in mud with those cars. I was on the forum a lot and the general consensus is nothing works except cob blasting or mechanical cleaning, like cellsafe said, companies will say anything to get you to buy their product.

That being said, and again like cell safe said, i don't think we have to worry about it in our cars. It's MUCH worse in turbocharged cars. I haven't heard of any problems on here, whereas it was ALL over the WRX forums.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post

Or he can get 2018+ Mustang they have port and direct injection.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Doesn't the ZR1 have both? Why downgrade to a mustang
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
STP offers fuel system cleaner for DI engines now and I bought some at Advance Auto recently for my ZL1. Maybe this will help!
Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
smurf_killer

Drives: 18 2 SS 17 jeep grand cheerokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
STP offers fuel system cleaner for DI engines now and I bought some at Advance Auto recently for my ZL1. Maybe this will help!
It can’t help with this problem, The fuel is injected directly into the cylinder it doesn’t flow threw the intake valves which is the cause of excessive carbon/ oil / gunk build up on port side of head of valve. So if STP markets it as a DI fuel additive to clean valves they are just relying on the fact people dont understand how DI actually works. This is a real problem. Not just made up to sell catch cans. It’s far worse with turbo motors. My supervisor was a VW Tech for 18yrs. He was telling me on their DI motors the intake ports get so gunked up they eventually are almost completely blocked.
smurf_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Crc makes a cleaner you spray through the throttle body with the engine running.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05319-Int...05970672&psc=1
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Yeah smurf killer I have a general knowledge about DI engines enough to understand what everyone is saying but figure the use of injection cleaner won’t hurt the engine if used sparingly.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
LT4Greg

Of course our gasoline is not helping either with 10 percent ethanol!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #14
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Meh, 3 years in and I can't for the life of me find via search, a single image of a camaro LT1 with dirty valves (much less, dirtier than prior generation non-DI engines).

just images of other engines that aren't the camaro's LT1 and a bunch of theoreticals and marketing material from catch can manufacturers.

Seems like if it was such a big problem, we'd see more evidence being posted.
Post of the week right here.

I'll add a lot of the mis info and scare also comes from immature owners of competitor cars that think knocking the Camaro down elevates their car.

Worst case, walnut blast the heads/valves after 150k or 20 years.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote